Archinect
anchor

About 1st year portfolios

emilsark

Hello guys, 

I'm a first-year architecture student looking to secure an internship this summer. I am proficient in Rhino, illustrator, photoshop, and rendering (Twinmotion), but I'm not sure what to include in my portfolio or resume this early in my academic career. Should I primarily showcase my schoolwork, or should I focus on creating my own set of projects that relate to my experiences with architecture and my technical expertise in order to make my portfolio stand out to potential employers?

Thank you! 

Oct 20, 23 11:40 am
reallynotmyname

We typically see portfolios of schoolwork from 1st year applicants.  Unless the 1st year school assignments are so simple and primitive that they drastically under-represent your skills, there's little need to spend the time making independent projects.

Oct 20, 23 12:55 pm  · 
2  · 

Work on a nicely written letter about yourself and your interest in architecture. Use whatever drawings etc. to show your proficiency in Rhino, illustrator, photoshop, and rendering. Add your best school project. Be yourself and enthusiastic. Enthusiasm is your best shot. Don't forget, that potential employers wouldn't expect you to be an expert. So, no stress...

Oct 20, 23 12:56 pm  · 
4  · 
gwharton

Regardless of which projects you choose to showcase, focus on showing your process work more than finished renderings or drawings. As an entry-level architect, anybody looking to hire you wants to know more about how you think and work (do you have potential? good judgment? are you trainable?) than whether or not you can produce polished imagery. You're not going to be productive as an employee immediately. That's just reality. Any prospective employer is going to want to get a sense of how long it will take and how much work it will be to get you up to speed and being productive.

Oct 20, 23 2:05 pm  · 
2  · 

Yeah pretty much. I'd want to know more about your attitude and what you're interested in.

Oct 20, 23 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: