Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Length VS Work Samples

Hi! Just a couple questions.

Considering many job application portals have a max. file size (usually 5mb or 10mb), what should be the ideal length of a portfolio used for job applications? Do you submit a work sample portfolio (shortened) and then show the full one at the interview, or do you manage to compress a full portfolio into a smaller file?

I used to do my resume in InDesign, but with ATS nowadays, do you guys stick to just doing them in word?

Thanks!

Oct 19, 23 12:28 pm
natematt

20-30 pages IMO . I think the general consensus is around that length if  not a little shorter. Realistically, when I look at professional oriented portfolios, I don't mind up to around 50 pages if it makes sense from the content, but most people really don't, need that much, and its hard to get 5mb at that length. 

If it's become practical to apply in that manner, then you could. I don't know what happens on the front end, but by the time I've ever seen resume's they are just PDFs, and the expectation is that they will look like a designer made them. Seems silly to me, but if that's how firms are pulling information it's probably smart to at least copy the information into a word doc or something. 

Oct 19, 23 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I only include projects that make sense for the position I'm applying for. Earlier in my career I'd include everything, but that doesn't feel right when I have stuff in there that I did over a decade ago unless it was formative or specifically pertinent to the job to which I am applying. 

Oct 21, 23 12:36 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

I've gone to using a 10-page work sample document with 1 page/ project except for a couple small ones which are on 1/2 page. I do everything in InDesign. 

I think ATS is now sophisticated enough to look in PDFs.

My resume is 2 pages. 

Oct 22, 23 8:38 am  · 
1  · 

This is what I followed when I applied for jobs. Maybe 15 pages total including resume. Now - if you send something like this to me it’s likely I’ll review the whole thing. Longer would be 50/50 unless we have an interview set up.

Oct 22, 23 11:30 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

this question seems to only matter for new grads. Any applications after 10 years of experience seems to focus more on the experience itself rather than the portfolio. 10 pages for 10+ years of experience has been successful for many I know 

Oct 22, 23 2:29 pm  · 
2  · 
BulgarBlogger

I forgot to say: 

After having reviewed hundreds of portfolios / work samples, the work samples start to feel like a giant blur. It’s the same crap over and over again. For me the content itself becomes secondary to how the content is composed. A well-composed portfolio- consistent margins, rational organization, balance / presence of white space, attention to font and spelling, etc. etc. etc. is much more appealing than pages of work that the producer believes is the next best thing since sliced bread. 

Let’s face it: new grads are a dime a dozen, and if billable work gets a bit slow, wouldn’t it be nice if someone with a good sense of composition can help the marketing department? 

Oct 22, 23 10:22 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: