Archinect
anchor

Is the architecture industry this brutal for everyone? (Long, rant)

canolaoil96

I studied, work and live in Australia as a graduate of architecture. I graduated my M.Arch at the end of 2021 and could only find a job through nepotism at the studio I am currently working at. I have been at this studio for almost 2 years working on massive Saudi projects (I cant be too specific because I am under NDA, and I will not get into a debate about ethics if you try to change the subject). I am trying to get out of the studio I am in for an array of reasons, but the primary reasons being pay and lack of support in the office. 

My supervisor, the founder/partner is typically overseas, whether it be attending client meetings or running one of the other offices, so typically the responsibilities fall to me to manage the office as they refuse to hire more competent or experienced staff than myself (most "employees" are unpaid interns). I am essentially working two jobs; office manager, and graduate of architecture. All the while receiving very little guidance or mentorship. Not to mention I am severely underpaid for my time (60+ hour weeks most weeks, 25% below the average pay bracket). 

The reality of my situation is: I cannot find another job locally because I am somehow (to use the words a friend used) over- and under-experienced. Too experienced with big projects to work for a smaller firm doing local work, but also not experienced enough to work there because I am not familiar enough with local codes and regulations. 

I really just want to know if anyone else feels this level of frustration with the industry, locally to me or abroad, because it seems like learning on the job is a thing of the past and you're now just expected to know everything from Day 1, even as a graduate. 

Just hugely dissatisfied with my decision to pursue a career I have an interest in, only to find out I am left with masses of debt and an unhealthy disdain for anything to do with the industry. 

(clarification, I have been applying for jobs for 7 months now and have not received a single interview offer, but the first job I apply for outside of architecture I am offered an interview and I have zero qualifications for the role. I am inclined to think it might be my portfolio letting me down) 

Oct 16, 23 9:37 pm
ivanmillya

Being the most experienced staff in an office as a recent M.Arch grad would be a huge red flag to me. I assume from your post you aren't licensed. Does your boss stamp drawings from overseas? I remember being in roughly your position and also being frustrated from being in the awkward position of not being a student, but still not having the professional experience to work autonomously. My recommendation to young grads is always to work in a small office. They're usually under-staffed but the up-side is that you learn a lot very quickly. Just make sure the boss is good mentor material and isn't going to abandon you once you get the job.

Oct 17, 23 9:12 am  · 
2  · 
BulgarBlogger

Are you sure you're in Australia? Are you a native or a foreigner on a visa?

Oct 17, 23 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

What type of question is that?

Oct 17, 23 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

It's a reasonable question. Visa status and local economic conditions/regulations can have a big impact on success in employment search and how firms are run. There are some details in the OP's description that seem odd or are missing additional information.

Oct 17, 23 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

I understand that. However asking if the OP is 'sure' that they are in a country is just insulting and childish.

Ah, BB changed his post.  Sorry BB!  I only saw the first sentence before your edit and wondered why you were being so snarky.  

Again, I apologize! 

Oct 17, 23 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I know a particular employer in the US that fits the bill exactly and the OP may have tried to mask this...

Oct 17, 23 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
CrazyHouseCat

Not to everyone, but certainly to many, architecture is / can be a vicious profession.   

Now that you verified that you are indeed swimming in shark infested waters. Some of your fellow architects get eaten alive.  Some drown by exhaustion.  And evidentially there are a few sharks circling you already...

Investigation into misery only gets you 20% out of the problem.  But could drain 80% of your energy.  The question you should be asking is: how do you become one of those architects that survive?  

Rather than viewing your career as a single track race against the rest of the profession, perhaps think: "how do I maneuver myself into doing what I love".  And that could mean small steps in many direction.  Momentum will build upon each little step forward.  Good luck!

Oct 17, 23 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: