Archinect
anchor

Atlanta v. Raleigh v. Miami: places to live & work

dominiond

Hi all-

I've worked for 12 years in the DC area in medium-sized commercial firms. I enjoy the projects I've worked on, but can no longer can handle the cost of living. Accordingly, my young family and I are looking at moving South to be closer to family and a lower cost of living. We would love to live in a city that is walkable like DC, but know that most cities are still car-centric.

I've looked at all of the "America's best towns to live" lists, but most of those places don't have robust architecture communities or development.

If you are working/living in any of the three cities above, could you share your thoughts on the following 4 things about your city and workplace.

1) Housing costs: is an average sized house (3 bedroom/2 bath) or a 2BR rental apartment in a neighborhood with decent schools (Great Schools: 8 or higher) affordable for 2 working parents

2) Traffic: what is your average commute time?

3) Diversity: On a scale of 1 (not at all)-10 (extremely), what does the composition of the architecture community look like in terms of diversity (people of color, women, LGBT in leadership and on staff)?

4) Work culture/client expectations: Is it a 8:30 am-5:30 pm culture or a 80 hours per week culture? Do people brag about not taking vacation or do people have active lives/interests outside of working in architecture?

Thanks for sharing your views-

Jul 3, 17 10:20 pm
cipyboy

I'd say ATL for cost of living, laid back lifestyle, better weather and it is a good performing city overall, you can live on a good school district for less. I did work in DC and it really takes a lot from your resources just being situated in a decent area. ATL is diverse and somewhat global. the bad: it is the only "big" city in the area ( you have to drive for at least 2.5 hrs to the nearest decently-populated city).

Miami:

I think is more progressive in terms of the Art scene. But its bread and butter is on tourism. So I assume, the architectural sector caters for these types of clients. In a bad economy, the tourism and entertainment sector gets the worst of it. the good thing is, there are lots of good-sized cities around it (Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, etc.)

Raleigh:

might as well consider Charlotte.

Jul 5, 17 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Traffic in Atlanta is a stopper right there. It is beyond horrible. I would pick Birmingham over Atlanta. Atlanta was great a couple of decades ago but time has passed it by. I lived in Charlotte for a year. Charlotte always wanted to be the next Atlanta and they seem to have succeeded as far as traffic and crime go. 

Raleigh is nice and Chapel Hill, nearby, is probably the most beautiful college town there is. The up and coming city in the south right now is Nashville. It is really booming. I personally loathe country music and would pick Raleigh overall, though.

Jul 5, 17 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
dominiond

Thanks so much for your insights- will definitely check out Charlotte and Nashville too.

Jul 22, 17 7:40 am  · 
 · 

@cipyboy Raleigh/the Triangle is very different than Charlotte don't you think? Would rather live in the former than the latter?

Heard good things about Nashville...

Jul 25, 17 12:33 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Yae, I hope that was a slip. The Raleigh area has UNC, NC State, and Duke which add immeasurably to its attractiveness.

Jul 25, 17 6:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: