Archinect
anchor

AXP Hours

eastcoast

I am at a firm this summer working as a summer intern. I have only completed my second year of school. I would like to get AXP hours for some of the work that I am doing here. I know that not everything I am doing really falls into the categories but I am still reading the topics of the axp requirements. I literally just heard about the axp hours recently because my school tells us absolutely nothing. Obviously, I am not stupid and will ask my boss soon but just for my personal knowledge at this moment, does redlining and such work count towards anything?

Jun 20, 17 9:34 am
thisisnotmyname

Yes. Redlining does count.  Generally, 90, 95% percent of your time should fit into an AXP category.   A broad, but honest, approach to how you apply the categories is best.  AXP is something you should try to complete as soon as possible, and not stretch it out unduly because you think that your time didn't meet an overly strict interpretation of the AXP guidelines.

Jun 20, 17 10:16 am  · 
1  · 
corbismyhomeboy

If you have no AXP hours, almost everything you do counts.  It gets harder once you get further in.  Look on the NCARB website for info about how to get started, what counts as 'experience', and all of the steps to licensure.

Jun 20, 17 10:17 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

If what you're doing is even remotely related to a category, apply it. 

Make sure you will meet the consecutive weeks requirement (does that still exist?).  I worked for 6 weeks one summer. None of it counted. 

Jun 20, 17 11:25 am  · 
 · 

I think they got rid of that requirement. The AXP Guidelines don't mention it anymore.

Jun 20, 17 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
AceOfCascadia

Luckily with the newer category system, things are less specific and most of the work you do will fall under specific categories. This is how I typically track my hours:

Project Phase:

Schematic Design - Programming & Analysis Hours

Design Development - Project Planning & Design Hours

Construction Documents - Project Development & Documentation Hours

Construction Administration - Construction & Evaluation Hours

The other two categories are more specific to tasks.

Project Management Hours - consultant or client meetings (pretty much any meeting can go under this category), writing minutes or documenting information that will be sent to a consultant or client, or most anything related to a project that does not involve actual drafting work.

Practice Management - office meetings, anything related to marketing the firm you work for, anything related to the way the firm runs that is not billable to a project.

Hopefully this helps!

Jun 20, 17 12:46 pm  · 
1  · 

Good approach from AceOfCascadia, but not really in line with what NCARB has published in their guidelines for P&A, PP&D, and PD&D experience. They note P&A experience is generally pre-design work. SD work would apply to PP&D hours, and PD&D is work after SD design has been approved meaning DD and CD phases would be grouped together in PD&D (although a lot of tasks in those phases could apply to Project Management hours). Excerpts from AXP Guidelines below: 

• "Programming & Analysis is the first phase of a project, often referred to as pre-design."
  • "Project Planning & Design covers the schematic design phase of a project."
  • "In Project Development & Documentation, you’ll gain experience with projects after the schematic design has been approved."

My advice ... download the AXP Guidelines and read it cover to cover as many times as it takes. You've got roughly 3 years ahead of you to be logging hours for AXP, you might as well get familiar with the guidelines now. 

Jun 20, 17 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
march'17

Hey guys,

I have 2~3 years of experience working at a firm. Can I use past experience on NCARB records if the supervisor signs them off? or does the 3740 hours start from the moment you sign up for NCARB records?

Jun 20, 17 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
corbismyhomeboy

Read the NCARB AXP guide.  You can report a certain amount of hours before they are only counted as half-credit.  FYI, your current supervisor can't sign off on hours you worked under a different supervisor.

Jun 20, 17 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

march'17, you might also be eligible to document AXP experience through the AXP Portfolio. Check the AXP Guidelines.

Jun 20, 17 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
schmitt418

Not sure if anyone is still paying attention to this forum since it has been a few years, but I'll give it a shot. I worked for a door manufacturing company called Masonite every summer since my high school graduation. The AXP guidelines say 

"GENERAL EMPLOYMENT SCENARIOS
Qualifying construction activities include
“hands-on” experience working for a variety of
organizations including, but not limited to:
• Manufacturers (doors, windows, etc.),"

so I was wondering if my work there over the summers (1 summer as a factory worker, 1 summer as a quality control summer student, and 1 summer as a supply chain summer student) would fit into this category. I don't want to call my past supervisors and ask for them to fill out my hours if it doesn't actually fit the requirements. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks

Feb 6, 21 12:13 am  · 
 · 

Seems like it should count if it fits the experience areas. Check the guidelines though to see what NCARB considers qualifying experience. Also understand that you may not get full credit for the hours. I’m not up to date, but anything older than 6 months was only allowed at half credit, or something like that.

Finally consider the reward for getting in touch with past supervisors, explaining the situation and what you’re looking for, them setting up a supervisor account with NCARB and then finally approving the hours. If it’s only going to be a hundred hours or so in a category you’ll likely be able to fulfill in your current employment situation, I wouldn’t worry about it. Personally, I had two months of hours go unrecorded because I left a job and didn’t bother with the hassle of getting them logged after the fact. It wasn’t a big deal. I had so many extra hours in those categories it wasn’t anything that slowed me down.

Feb 6, 21 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
schmitt418

Ok that makes sense. Thank you for the help!

Feb 6, 21 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
StudentNat

I have been working for a firm and making models.  These are non-billable hours I am putting in (tracing their models in Sketchup for 3D printing and making those physical models and sites). Does this count for AXP hours in any way? If so, under what catagory? 

Mar 11, 24 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

It absolutely counts. Read through the categories and decide which one it most aligns with; probably some sort of 'design development' phase.

Mar 12, 24 9:13 am  · 
1  · 
joseffischer

billable vs nonbillable should not factor into your figuring on whether to count your hours, though often nonbillable work ends up being the admin/office section.  In this instance, you're actually doing what would be considered billable type work, even though the company has decided to do the work at risk/without compensation

Mar 12, 24 9:33 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

What matters for AXP qualifying hours is what you're doing and who you are doing it for, not how it's being billed.

Mar 12, 24 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: