Archinect
anchor

Advice on returning to architecture after a 5 year break

pd5362

Hey everyone,

As the title says, I've been away from architecture for over 5 years now and wish to return to it.  I have an undergrad from an American university and internship experiences working at four firms. 

Any advice on how to transition back into the profession would be much appreciated.  What do I need to learn or brush up on to be an asset to a workplace?  new softwares/tools to learn?  I have no background in Revit, just Autocad and modeling tools.  Eventually I do wish to go and finish my masters and get licensed.

Would you as an employer be alarmed that I took some time off from the profession?  How does one explain the time off?  There were multiple factors why I took a time off.  Large part of it was feeling dejected of not finding work during the recession so I decided to try starting my own business (unrelated to architecture) in order to be self sufficient.  My plan has always been to return to architecture when I'm financially independent so I wouldn't have to stress about not being employed or layed off during a recession.

Architecture is my passion and gives me a purpose in life.  As stressful or boring as it can be sometimes, it is the only profession that I find meaningful and has helped me grow intellectually and as an individual.  I was never a top student due to time management issues but always did well in design studio.

How is the job market in US/Canada right now?

cheers

May 28, 17 4:40 am

Don't.

May 28, 17 10:50 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

I agree with Miles, but assuming you ignore our battle scarred advice and want back in anyway, I would advise being honest about your absence.  Any reasonable employer should understand what the Great Recession did to a lot of people's resumes.  Any architect who has never had at least fleeting doubts about their choice of profession is somebody who is either a trust funder or not very introspective.

I hope that business you started is still viable and generating some economic stability for you,  because we are due for another downturn one of these years soon.

May 28, 17 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: