Archinect
anchor

Coming back to Architecture industry from film

breakit

Hi guys!

I've been in the film industry (not in design, more of production = desk work) after my undergrad studies in architecture. It's been about two years now. 

I miss design, and architecture so I'm attempting to come back. I thought the best way is to go to grad school. 

I don't have a lot of experience in Architecture. I have one short internship experience and I have also have published architecture magazine during my studies (became pretty big now), but that's basically it. My job experiences are all in film....... 

I'm putting together my portfolio right now, but I wonder whether I'd have a shot going to grad school at all. (I'm trying to apply for the schools in the UK.) I'm going to apply this fall FOR SURE, just hoping that I'm not wasting my time on something that wouldn't work in the first place :'(

Any advices and opinions would help me dearly!!

I have a B.Arch by the way, and to be honest, I always thought I'd be going back to architecture, I just wanted to do something fun and unlaborous(?) work before I fully commit. 

Apr 23, 17 11:46 pm
archietechie

Grad school is certainly the right move for you at this stage, however I'd suggest another internship at the very least before grad school, just so you're able to get an idea what the profession is truly about. Skip the big firms and join a small one instead for more hands on experience (drafting; liaising w/ clients; design conception; site management; negotiation etc.)

All that said, your positivity is to be applauded. Here's wishing you all the best with whatever application you go for.

Apr 23, 17 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
breakit

Thank you so much for the advice and also for the kind words! I'll definitely look for an internship opportunities as I prepare for the admissions. Thanks!

Apr 24, 17 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

"I'd suggest another internship at the very least before grad school" Agreed, get job, start working, get a feel for practice over academic career before u rack up debt

best to you

Apr 24, 17 11:40 am  · 
 · 
breakit

I will! Definitely look for an internship. Thanks!

Apr 24, 17 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

The internship may lead to an offer to come on full time.  You may not even need the grad school if that happens.  My first summer job lead to a standing offer to come back and work any time I wanted.  

Apr 24, 17 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
breakit

Ah that'd be great if it happens:) thanks!

Apr 24, 17 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
jungle

We actually have semi-similar stories; I worked in theater production for a year before getting an architecture job. I was doing physically fabricating scenery and documented photos as I completed the process and kept the shop drawings; I included this in my portfolio and used that experience to leverage a position at a design build firm. Stayed there for six months and then got a good job at a small office.

Just leverage the skills you have and present them the way you would an architecture project even if they aren't really the same; coupled with a good academic project or two you should be able to get an entry-level job with some effort. Use your old classmates and friends as your professional network!

Apr 24, 17 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
breakit

I was thinking about the same thing. Putting the things I've done in film in portfolio in relation to architecture, but I mostly worked in post production as in desk paper works so I don't have much design related stuff to put in. I wonder if it'd be better to just not put in..? I'll still try to scratch all the things from work! Thank you so much for the advice!

Apr 24, 17 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: