Archinect
anchor

Opinions on design

Our architect designed this modern house for us and we think we like it. But I think it would be better with some big round windows and a roof deck. What do you guys think? 

May 21, 17 7:35 pm
Non Sequitur
I don't like the symmetrical palm trees in the last image.
May 21, 17 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
TeenageWasteland

LOL... nice try Mr.Jaffe

May 21, 17 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

God the flat screen above the fireplace is HORRID. One of my worst residential design pet peeves. Fuck off.

May 21, 17 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

Where is the pool? Also, no chimney means no fireplace I guess?

May 22, 17 12:24 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

a double wide two story trailer? I like how it's buried in the back, explore burying a lot more.....

May 22, 17 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Donna, that's not a fireplace, it's an oven under both wall mounted TVs. Come on now, I thought you were hip.
May 22, 17 11:16 am  · 
 · 

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the Revit sample file house?

Well done on the post, Miles.

May 22, 17 11:27 am  · 
 · 

Donna and Non, that's two flat screens stacked. The bottom one plays fireplace DVDs. That's why there's no chimney. 

And you guys call yourselves architects? What was I thinking?

May 22, 17 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Maybe those are aquariums, not fireplaces? Still horrid.
May 22, 17 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Contemporary American suburbia at it's finest!

"I'll have a double-stack, double-wide slathered with your finest lick-and-stick cultured stone,  a siding of fiber-cement cheese, and put a muffin top on it."

This would be best served between some deep fried southern colonial revivals on either side or perhaps some rendition evoking a 'south of the border' double stuffed stucco wrap to finish your neighborhood palette.  

The render is also missing a Escalade with 20's doing a Duke's of Hazard homage flying out of that garage!   

May 22, 17 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

What's that site, like 30' x 200', with a rise at the back end?  Where is there a surplus of lots like this that would warrant a series of stock plans?

May 22, 17 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

mightyaa, you're a genius. Colonial columns on the front would really spruce it up.

Is there someone in the forum that is very respected in this style of home design? What's the going rate for looking at the existing plans and offering a rough concept that would take us down a more attractive path. We would be looking at very rough ideas only to use with our current architect. We like telling him what to do.

May 22, 17 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I like it a lot but have a couple serious concerns.

my lambo may not have ground clearance for the ramp, please verify that this will not be an issue.

Are the plans for this house free?  I can't afford to pay any more than that.  I also need these drawings printed and delivered for permits to my city tomorrow.  Don't worry, I'll pay you for that

May 24, 17 11:50 am  · 
 · 

But you'll only pay AFTER the permit is achieved, yes?

May 24, 17 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Is that a tuck under garage? :(

(Pro tip: put some birds in the sky for your rendering. Makes everything feel more real.)

May 24, 17 11:56 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Wait, Shell... you'll pay for printing?

May 24, 17 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

of coarse, I'm no cheapskate, I'll pay for revisions too. just cant afford to pay for designing

May 25, 17 6:55 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Miles, One small change...can you revise the house a litttleso that it can de lodge from the ground and become a yacht when we feel like going out into the bay?  Will there be an extra charge for that small change? 

May 24, 17 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
ReddishEgret

Looks like it's built into a levee and in front of a jetty. Extra super flood proof!!

May 24, 17 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

gross miles

May 24, 17 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

I can fix this for you. See my ad on Craigslist.

May 24, 17 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

With that username, is it in the Casual Encounters section?

May 24, 17 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

For the record... fireplaces don't need chimneys anymore... that being said... I'd be concerned that the fire place channel playing on the bottom screen may cause excess heat and damage the screen above it..

May 24, 17 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ boom!

May 24, 17 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

And, conversely, that the Aquarium channel playing upstairs doesn't result in leakage downstairs...

May 24, 17 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

can it be built for $50/sf?  

May 24, 17 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

That's what the architect said. We're paying him $.07 / sq.ft.

May 24, 17 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Should have shopped that price....too expensive...

May 24, 17 6:46 pm  · 
 · 

How much would you charge? Please consider that we've already paid him part of the fee.

May 24, 17 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

I'd pay YOU just for the thrill of adding another masterpiece to my portfolio to market myself for future free jobs.

May 25, 17 8:05 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

Geezer beat me to it - doing this project for the sheer fame and notoriety it would create for my practice...This is a record house for sure.

May 25, 17 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
GloriaMonet1

It's not that bad.

May 25, 17 9:36 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
Where do I sign? Also, can I plant palm trees in Minnesota?
May 25, 17 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Miles, you know it's not us who you should be asking, it's the hoa design review committee.

May 25, 17 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: