Archinect
anchor

What knowledge from Physics and Math does an architect need?

Go read the last day's comments in the "mansplain interior design" thread and tell me knowing physics isn't important. It might just be me, but I like my buildings without mold.
Sep 30, 16 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What's wrong with the last day's comments on the vapour membranes?

Sep 30, 16 10:59 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

you don't need to know physics.  just use "Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution" in a sentence

Sep 30, 16 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Non, nothing is wrong with the comments. I simply wanted to point out that physics in architecture involves more than just what the structural engineer is doing.

Sep 30, 16 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ah, then yes... very correct.

Sep 30, 16 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
leyla

Since Architecture has giant responsibility for creation of civilizations (or societies), the Architects needs basic knowledge of everything.

Mathematics in every line required to design in one way or another.

In my opinion Physics is always in Architecture (vectors) and the future generation of Architects going to need more for the survival for humanity.

Sep 30, 16 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^citation required

Sep 30, 16 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Thayer-D

You don't need to understand physics academically to understand how it works in everyday life.

Oct 3, 16 10:06 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

right.  base your understanding of physics on assumptions and incomplete observation.  that usually works out well. 

education is a good thing

Oct 3, 16 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Studying for my California ARE, I used basically addition and subtraction with a little multiplication...Passed the first time!

Oct 3, 16 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

when i was a student in the 90's we had calculus, numerical mathematics and 1st year physics, followed by three years of statics, force diagrams, and beam sizing. Since then, to be perfectly honest I have used very little of that in practice.  I love math and physics, but it is not going to kill your career if you dont get straight A's. The engineers will do the bulk of the work. I would focus on understanding structures holistically if anything. I find that good engineers are very good at that, and it is useful to understand where they are coming from if you want to guide the structural design in a particular direction.

Oct 4, 16 4:44 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Oh yay, the thread where everyone brags about lacking basic skills in science and math is back up. 

Mar 2, 17 9:30 am  · 
 · 
RTVSkaarchitecture

this is what I know (it's not necessarily accurate, check my facts):

water expands when frozen, unlike most materials (pipes)
you must not overburden electrical wires-bigger's safer
you can sum forces by adding their x,y,z components using trig to equal 0
static friction is higher than kinetic
more mass=more friction
different types of materials have differing types of strengths
compressive: inward >=<
Tensile: outward like this <=>
bending: when hangs between two posts, its sag
shear: when a beam is pushed sideways with one support
buckling: a type of bending?  Vertical beams are subject to buckling, which is outward bowing
torsion: Twisting force {this might be wrong, it might be torque}
granite is a material without any minerals which effervesce in base
sandstone & marble have minerals which effervesce in base
does this mean they dissolve?
The next two terms are of a spectrum: Brittleness, Ductility
Ductility: the tendency for a material to be stretched when placed under stress
Brittleness: the tendency for a material remain in its shape when placed under stress.  suddenly breaks
modulus of elasticity: the ratio of stress to strain.
strain being deformation
The next two are a spectrum
plastic deformation: the tendency to remain in a shape that it has deformed to after stresses have been removed
elastic deformation: the tendency to return to a material's original shape when stresses have been removed
Hardness: a materials resistence to compressive forces, perhaps more importantly resistence to scratching
I read an academic paper that says hardness is linearly correlated to tensile strength in steel
Toughness: a material's resistence to an impact force
Strength: a material's reaction to constant forces
fatigue: a material's reaction to cyclic loading IS THIS TOUGHNESS OR STRENGTH?
creep: the tendency of a material to deform without stresses
glass creeps, other materials may (steel doesn't)
concrete is cement with aggregate.  YOU CAME FROM SEMEN, is how i remember it
materials expand in heat, wood expands (with moisture) most in each of its rings, concrete/cement shrinks when it hydrates(absorbs water)
steel must be fireproofed, does gypsum wallboard do the trick?
wood is typically (sawn) cut in two ways, i forget the name of the second but the first has two names: quarter/radial, this means that the are more like this )))) than nnnn
radial/quarter sawing is less efficient, but i believe you get a few radial/quarter sawn pieces from the other style
radial/quarter sawn cuts are stronger
if you want to cup the other pieces downward nnnn when making floors, because they become less flat as they dry<this may not be accurate
Some materials have corrosive effects on one another (this is because of anodic/cathodic chemical effects), for instance, wood that has been made weather resistent should not be placed in contact with (galvanized?) steel<this may not be correct
there is a thing called glulam(glue laminated) beams which are wood beams which have been laminated together with defects removed (knots are defects) which are stronger than wood, and they can be made to be very long
oriented strand board (osb) is laminated wood strands that is stronger than plywood
lumber(wood?) is nominally named in their measurments, so that the dimensions are actually a bit smaller than the name, the typical cut is half inch in each dimension until you get up to a certain size and then it's 3/4"
Stone typically is weak in bending
it's difficult to measure shear (i red), but it can be done using a battering ram of sorts (in steel the shear is assumed to be 3/4 of the tensile strength
Steel has a top and a bottom based on how it's rolled
cables stranded together are called wire rope
wire rope is subject to torsion {or is it torque?} and obviously tension, although with canvas type loads perhaps you must account for compressive strengths, though i'm not sure they teach about cable or wire rope in architecture schools
steel is weak in compression and strong in tension
cement/concrete is weak in tension and strong in compression
you can reinforce cement/concrete with steel.
When you have concrete/cement between two posts you want to put the steel near the bottom, where the tension forces occur
when you have a cantelever of concrete/cement you want to put the steel in the top
a caternary is the shape of a rope/chain hung between two posts
you want your morter to be at least as strong as your masonry
if you are to make an arch of masonry, i believe the caternary is the strongest shape
there is a frost line in the ground below which water does not freeze/thaw cycle
you may want to build below this line, it depends on the building
there are two similar things: piles and piers
piles are driven into the ground by a pile-driver this is very loud
piers are not driven into the ground by pile driving
you want to measure the soil for its tendency to return to its shape, it's modulous of elasticity/plasticity
soils come in a few types: categorized by their size: clay, silt, gravel, boulders
clay expands when water is present
there are different types of cement/concrete? varies by aggregate, and (normal?) cement is at 100% of its strength at 28 days (in usa you must take sample) , 70% of its strength at 7 days, 50% at 3
Cement heats up when hydrating
the differences have to do with their heat output, their time of strengthening, ending strength, color (you can have white) it's usually gray
concrete/cement has a "slump factor" which is how gooey it is when it's being placed.  "slump" is an appropriate term
there is such thing as pre/postensioned concrete/cement, this is where steel cable is placed in the cement, which contracts upon hydration.  If it's supposed to be a beam, the shape of the cable is typically parabolic. 
stresses in a beam go from, when between posts, compressive at the top, getting weaker to middle, then stronger in tension towards bottom
your electricity should be grounded in each home run
in usa you have to have gfi recepticals in certain places, afci recepticals in others, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
You want to, when putting in a mesh in a column of concrete/cement, put it near the outside as to reduce buckling
heat resistence is refered to as the R value
it's inverse is either the u or p value(i forget), which is used in japan
conduction is heating through solids
convection heating through liquids/gases
plasma arc cutting uses
tig is fast
you gotta match your electrode to the base metal based on chemistry.  There are psi's of rods up to at least 110,000 psi
cement/concrete that is poured at too long of an interval doesnt have a chemical bond (this is cold jointing)
you must keep interpass temperature (in california, at least, for seismic)
argon is heavier than air and toxic
pipes must be welded in a certain manner or they explode
welds are designated by the structural engineer
elements in the structural load system must meet acceptance criteria based on a number of variables one being the lowest anticipated service temperature (LAST) which is the lowest one(1) hour average temperature with a 100-year mean recurrence interval.
welding with GMAW and FCAW-G shall not be performed in winds exceeding 3 mph
SMAW FCAW-S and SAW may be performed without limitations to air velocity
all welding electrodes and electrode-flux ombinations shall meet the requirments for H16(16mL maimum diffusible hydrogen per 100 grams deposited weld metal)
there's more on welding in AWS D1.8
standard maximum interpass temperature is 550 degrees farenheight unless otherwise specified 1-3 inches from joint
welding can morph metal shape
steel's strength is typically 40,000psi-60,000psi
concrete or cement, i forget which is about 20000psi
vapor and air are two different things, vapor is more penetrative than air
air entrained concrete/cement is less subject to freeze/thaw effects

thanks to my teachers this semester and last semester who have taught me this stuff, and also to the book writers/and/or manufactorers/publishers, hope you found it helpful

Mar 5, 17 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

paragraphs and lists also helps

Mar 6, 17 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Mar 6, 17 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

buckling: a type of bending?
It’s when the strength of the material is exceeded and deforms suddenly.

torsion: Twisting force
Often used to describe twisting across the minor axis of a beam shape, but it is also used to describe any lever action. Force times distance.

sandstone & marble have minerals which effervesce in base. does this mean they dissolve?
Yes, calcium carbonate dissolving from the stone.

fatigue: a material's reaction to cyclic loading IS THIS TOUGHNESS OR STRENGTH?
Toughness.

wood is typically (sawn) cut in two ways, i forget the name of the second but the first has two names: quarter/radial, this means that the are more like this )))) than nnnn
Rift sawn is the other word, with growth rings at roughly 45° to the face of the board. Quartersawn rings are between 45° and 90° to the face of the board.

if you want to cup the other pieces downward nnnn when making floors, because they become less flat as they dry.
This is an often misunderstood concept. I think of it like this: when the boards dry, the growth rings (viewed from the end of the board) try to straighten out. So if you expect the board to get dryer over time, it’s better to use a UUU pattern. If you expect them to get wetter, nnn is better.

wood that has been made weather resistent should not be placed in contact with (galvanized?) steel
There are different chemicals used for pressure-treating lumber, but they are mainly copper based. Galvanzied fasteners can be used as long as they’re big enough to lose some of their material over time. Stainless steel is usually safer.

(normal?) cement is at 100% of its strength at 28 days
You mean concrete (cement is glue, concrete is what we build with). It’s roughly 99% at 28 days and continues curing forever.

heat resistence is refered to as the R value
Close, R is resistance to heat flow. Highly conductive materials like steel or ceramic are also resistant to damage from heat itself.

it's inverse is either the u or p value(i forget), which is used in japan
Most of the world uses the U-factor; R-value was invented by American fiberglass insulation salespeople because they didn’t think the public would understand that a lower U-factor means more resistance to heat flow. U-factor is used for calculating heat loss in buildings.

concrete or cement, i forget which is about 20000psi
Typically 2500 to 5000 psi, actually.

Mar 6, 17 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks Wood Guy... but I don't really need a refresher on the basics. 8-)

Mar 6, 17 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I meant to respond to RTVS. Sorry if it tagged you. :-)

Mar 6, 17 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

#89. Water runs downhill.

I've been teaching chemistry and physics to a 3rd grader and reminds me yet again how lovely and useful this stuff is. 

Mar 6, 17 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Yehuda salu

I taught physics for architecture at Howard University for many years, and I wrote the textbook "Physics for Architects". Architects can benefit from understanding many sub-fields of physics including mechanics, heat, electricity, acoustics, and optics. For more details, please visit the website PhysicsForArchitects.com

Mar 14, 17 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: