Archinect
anchor

Reporting AXP/IDP hours

georgiab

I've searched google, archinect forums, etc. but can't seem to find an answer to this question. Perhaps it is too obvious to warrant discussion, but in reporting AXP/IDP hours, is it standard to leave out hours spent training in the firm? I've spent a number of hours for the past few weeks training in Revit, firm standards, etc. None of those hours go towards AXP/IDP because they are not specific to a project or running a firm, correct?

Jul 21, 16 6:50 pm
SpatialSojourner

Not every hour worked will equal  an AXP/IDP hour.  When reporting hours, if you think an hour could go into multiple categories, I'd try to keep the categories as even as possible so you don't end up after three years of experience and missing a lot in one category, which could get you stuck (less so now than before)

Jul 21, 16 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
georgiab

Thanks for the responseI was thinking this was the case. As a follow-up, for states (like CA, NY) that require 3-5 years of experience, do they only count AXP/IDP hours? In other words, if not all of your hours fit neatly into one of those 6 categories, will you actually be working more like 4-6 years before you're licensed? If so, is there a way to record those additional non-AXP-applicable hours to some other category in the program?

Jul 22, 16 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
georgiab

Thought I had scoured the NCARB website - my mistake. Thanks!

Jul 22, 16 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

Note that that is how NCARB tracks those hours and applies them to the years of experience requirements for various jurisdictions. The actual jurisdiction may require something else. Always best to check with the jurisdiction rather than just trust NCARB.

Jul 22, 16 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
nicholass817

Training in Revit would count toward something....SD/DD/CDs?  You are learning how to use the tools necessary to put together these types of drawings.  I also tend to disagree with SpatialSojourner, unless you are doing some sort of work that is absolutely not related to architecture or construction you should be able to report every hour worked.  

Jul 23, 16 9:02 am  · 
 · 
A.I.

Ask the supervisor at your firm if they think it should count.  After all, they are signing off on them right?  If they think it should count, then let it be so.

Jul 24, 16 1:00 am  · 
 · 

Does working as plan examiner in a city qualify for AXP hours?

Thanks,

Jun 7, 17 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Maybe. Is there a registered architect in the office overseeing your work?

Jun 8, 17 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
Ask your mentor/supervisor, they will work something out with you
Jun 8, 17 2:05 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Learning the software used to make is architectural documents is clearly the on-the-job architectural training AXP is supposed to be about.  Absolutely count the hours.  AXP is something you should strive to complete as soon as possible.  

Jun 8, 17 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: