Archinect
anchor

can you give me some ideas on how to fix up my house?

Threesleeve,

Perhaps, New York was a bad choice but customarily between states in the U.S., an architect licensed in a state may not use their stamp on plans and specifications for projects not located within the state. This had been a traditional legal understanding throughout the U.S. as a norm for close to 100 YEARS or so. Customarily, you are suppose to only use a state stamp in connection with projects within the state not another state or country. People in the past, used to be disciplined/fined for that, if I remember correctly.

Lets skip this point, lets get right down to the other important paragraph that you skipped earlier. 

I'm still trying to figure out how are you as a Swedish architect, a member of SAA, going to stamp something if neither SAA or the universities issues you an stamp/seal?  

(I know, YOU are probably not a SAA member..... Swedish Architect but just work along as if you were one)

Can someone who IS a member of the Swedish Association of Architects answer this following question: Does the Swedish Association of Architects issue their members a stamp or seal that would be affixed to plans prepared by you?

Jul 11, 16 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Enough is enough.

I hereby pledge never to converse with Richard Balkins again in any thread.  Please others join this policy and starve this moron of the attention he seeks by posting inanity on archinect.

Jul 11, 16 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

I'm still trying to figure out how are you as a Swedish architect, a member of SAA, going to stamp something if neither SAA or the universities issues you an stamp/seal?  

There is a SAR/MSA certificate issued - a copy of which, in conjunction with a signature and date, serves the same purpose in Sweden when applying for permits as the seals page does in a permit application set or project manual in the US.

Jul 11, 16 10:59 pm  · 
 · 

Threesleeve,

You did not answer this: 

You have not answered this. If SAA doesn't issue stamp/seal or have a stamp/seal to be used by their members, why would a local official require something their own architects that are members of SAA wouldn't even have?

Jul 11, 16 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

I hereby pledge never to converse with Richard Balkins again in any thread.  Please others join this policy and starve this moron of the attention he seeks by posting inanity on archinect.

Jul 11, 16 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

You gave it a good shot, but Balkins is a black hole of willful stupidity: He'll suck all the intelligence out of any conversation and crush it, while emitting nothing but radioactivity.

Jul 11, 16 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
This house needs to be jacked up on some stilts.
Jul 11, 16 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

There is a SAR/MSA certificate issued - a copy of which, in conjunction with a signature and date, serves the same purpose in Sweden when applying for permits as the seals page does in a permit application set or project manual in the US.

Sorry, I didn't read your post before the other post but I don't see any particular documentation, policy, rule or otherwise in Swedish or English that supports that.

Ha! A membership certificate....... lol.

Jul 12, 16 12:06 am  · 
 · 
You know what else that house needs? A water slide!
Jul 12, 16 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

It's not the membership certificate that gets affixed, it is the MSA certification.  You understand how the first or 2nd page of a project manual is typically the seals page in the US, without which the work is not accepted as a permit set? It's the same thing but regulated at local levels, rather than by states.  

Jul 12, 16 12:21 am  · 
 · 

Just so you know: Sveriges Arkitekter is the Swedish name of the organization that in English is called Swedish Association of Architects. Since the forum is predominately English speakers, I primarily use the English form.

Jul 12, 16 12:23 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

I know Rick I worked there and was a member. The MSA is the certification of the degree and experience.  It functions sort of like NCARB certification here, but required at the municipal level, and not to practice but to meet permitting requirements.  Find a permit application and you will see.

Jul 12, 16 12:45 am  · 
 · 
This house needs a devil lock, Glenn Danzig- style.

And one last caress.
Jul 12, 16 1:04 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

This thread needs (one last caress) sweet death.

Jul 12, 16 1:25 am  · 
 · 

It's not the membership certificate that gets affixed, it is the MSA certification.  You understand how the first or 2nd page of a project manual is typically the seals page in the US, without which the work is not accepted as a permit set? It's the same thing but regulated at local levels, rather than by states.  

Don't worry too much about my immediate previous response as I didn't read your post quoted above as of yet at that moment. It is just something to clarify in case. Aluminate, I think you understood that already.

Jul 12, 16 1:27 am  · 
 · 

I know Rick I worked there and was a member. The MSA is the certification of the degree and experience.  It functions sort of like NCARB certification here, but required at the municipal level, and not to practice but to meet permitting requirements.  Find a permit application and you will see.

Alright... lets talk about this privately if you don't mind. I agree it can be a crap shoot with each local building department but there are plenty of people in Sweden who are not members of the SA association who do not have this MSA credential. Obviously, this is dependent on the "building department". 

Jul 12, 16 1:45 am  · 
 · 

Here's a permit application (blank):

http://goteborg.se/wps/wcm/connect/5499a868-ee5f-4c61-9a48-1b5231399026/Ans%C3%B6kan+bygg%C3%A4rende+2015.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

http://malmo.se/download/18.5f3af0e314e7254d70e77435/1444210530364/Ans%C3%B6kan+om+Bygglov_Marklov_RivningslovMSSBK1510.pdf

Here are just a couple but I have looked at a number of them. For whatever reason, I don't see anything requiring or stating a requirement for SAR/MSA status or any of that stuff.

http://malmo.se/download/18.7acdbda51446ef6eb0ea449/1395393057640/Komplementbyggnad+exempelritning_2013.pdf

I also seen the example version on the Goteborg.se site. 

Jul 12, 16 2:51 am  · 
 · 
greatescape

Hey guys, I like to work in my pijamas!

Jul 12, 16 2:53 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Please, do not ever reply to Rick. The more you engage the more ridiculous and confident he gets, remember to ignore him.

Jul 12, 16 4:10 am  · 
 · 
Bench

For the love of God don't take this to private messaging - leave it all out in the open so others will see his blatant lies.

Jul 12, 16 4:17 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Did Rick msg you Bench?

Jul 12, 16 4:39 am  · 
 · 
Bench
Nope, but now that he's realizing he's wrong he wants to get out of the public forum to backpedal. I say fuck that. He's an unrepentant narcissist, and it's for the greater good that as many people as possible in the community understand the depths of his incompetence. At this point it definitely falls into an HSW issue.
Jul 12, 16 5:07 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Can anyone answer my question? can you not just submit a portfolio to AIA for registration instead of doing a degree?

Jul 12, 16 5:22 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

It depends on the individual states. Some states do allow experience in place of schooling. The educational cartel is doing it's best to stamp this loophole out. The AIA would not be involved. The NCARB would be as states have given up much of their responsibility to the NCARB to varying degrees.

Jul 12, 16 6:52 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Rick I don't do private messaging with anybody on this forum.  Keep it public, or drop it.

Jul 12, 16 7:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This escalated...

Such an innocent thread. Now it's laying in some gutter savagely beaten and broken.

Now everyone take a look at this cute little guy. He's hungry and about to eat that small group of people. Nom nom nom.

Jul 12, 16 8:05 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

These are all nice, but can they compete with Claude Ledoux's brothel design? 

Jul 12, 16 8:24 am  · 
 · 
Schoon

This house just came into this thread for beauty tips, but is now hopelessly confused.

Jul 12, 16 8:44 am  · 
 · 

Rick I don't do private messaging with anybody on this forum.  Keep it public, or drop it.

I was wanting to cut out some of the peanut gallery so it would be easier to communicate without involving all the others. I'll look at creating a thread topic for that topic if that is okay with you. 

Jul 12, 16 9:39 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Want to cut out the peanut gallery?  Post something relevant to the thread.  Problem solved. 

Jul 12, 16 9:41 am  · 
 · 

I've tried that before fairly recently, doesn't work. 

Some of them just wants to argue with me just to argue with me, I guess.

Jul 12, 16 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

A wise man once said:

Jul 12, 16 10:20 am  · 
 · 

Nope, but now that he's realizing he's wrong he wants to get out of the public forum to backpedal.

Nope. Your wrong. It's annoying responses like yours that makes it difficult to remain calm and civil even when responding to someone like Aluminate whose response is okay.  

I look at basically the profession of Architecture in Sweden not as licensed or unlicensed but certified/credentialed vs someone who isn't. Yes, in a large complex project, a local official would likely demand a credential/certified architect to work on such a project but it's not legally required unless the local jurisdiction has codified laws/rules/ordinances or whatever that explicitly requires it. They can politically desire and nudge but even if you are not, if you prepare a well prepared set of plans that complies with the building codes (BBR) and related regulations and the local regulations, they'll probably accept it.

The issue is about quality of work not some letters after your name. In the U.S., architects are far too caught up with letters after their name then necessarily competence.

Look how much you guys spend on topics about some bureaucratic credential than you guys actually talk about elevating the art, science and profession of architect. When on any architecture forum have you guys really talk about how to make better architecture?

I haven't seen that here in the U.S. or U.S. based web forums in the past 15 years.

Jul 12, 16 10:48 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Rick, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to ignore those folks.  If you attempt to remain relevant, and someone attacks, do not engage.  This is not me telling you to continue to spew nonsense.  You should probably step back and consider what someone is telling you.  If they are saying you're wrong... you might be.  I know, I know.  The odds of that happening are slim.  Amirite? So, perhaps you just stop posting at that point.  We all know it's not going to end well. 

Stay on topic.  If you have to google the answer to the question, don't post an answer.  You didn't know it, and any idiot can use google.  Should you really feel the need to post something related to your googled answer, use 'letmegooglethatforyou' and post the link the site provides.  Endless source of entertainment for other readers.  If you do know the answer, feel free to post it.  And when someone proves you wrong, stop posting.  

One of the greatest lessons I was taught as a child is 'tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than speak and be known as one.'  I don't always adhere to the idea, but I should.  You should too. 

Jul 12, 16 10:49 am  · 
 · 
no_form
"In the U.S., architects are far too caught up with letters after their name then necessarily competence." Says RWCB PBD, and formerly Assoc. AIA

More classic Balkins.
Jul 12, 16 11:17 am  · 
 · 

Help - my contractor read the plans upside down!

Jul 12, 16 11:36 am  · 
 · 

Q: When on any architecture forum have you guys really talk [sic] about how to make better architecture?     --RWCB, PBD

A: Refer to the first ten posts here (post #13 is where it starts to get off the topic of better architecture). 

Jul 12, 16 11:42 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Rick, if you want to be a Swedish architect then you should move to Sweden.  You will never be able to get projects there from Astoria OR.  Be realistic.  Step one, figure out how to immigrate into Sweden.  Step two, save some money to make the move.  

Jul 12, 16 11:42 am  · 
 · 
tduds

+++++

I was working on a, uh, project a few weeks ago. I shelved it but it sounds like it's worth digging up again. Stay tuned.

Jul 12, 16 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

I look at basically the profession of Architecture in Sweden not as licensed or unlicensed but certified/credentialed vs someone who isn't. Yes, in a large complex project, a local official would likely demand a credential/certified architect to work on such a project but it's not legally required unless the local jurisdiction has codified laws/rules/ordinances or whatever that explicitly requires it. They can politically desire and nudge but even if you are not, if you prepare a well prepared set of plans that complies with the building codes (BBR) and related regulations and the local regulations, they'll probably accept it.

The issue is about quality of work not some letters after your name. In the U.S., architects are far too caught up with letters after their name then necessarily competence.

You can "look at" anything any way you like of course.  Sadly that doesn't mean it works the way that you like to look at it.  Sweden is very rule-oriented place.  For some reason, without having even visited, solely on the basis that the word "architect" isn't regulated, you've invented the building climate in the Sweden in your head as a laissez-faire paradise for the unqualified self-invented designer, when nothing could be further from reality.  Because there's no national certification or regulation it puts a far greater onus on municipal government to act as gatekeepers - and let me assure you they do act the part well. Where have you found examples to back up your theory that "they'll probably accept" plans drawn by somebody uncredentialed - particularly one operating remotely from overseas? My experience was that the rules and formality of the process were far more elaborate and rigid than most places I've worked in the US and abroad - particularly with regard to residential projects.  A largely interior renovation project of no remarkable note structurally, that takes one not-necessarily-licensed designer in the US, can require a credentialed architect and the whole slate of consultants in Scandinavia.

Jul 12, 16 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

Balkins once purchased a Billy bookcase from Ikea and saw a Volvo on the way home, so that obviously qualifies him to practice as a Swedish architect.

Jul 12, 16 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I own a Volvo but I like to look at it as a Subaru.

Jul 12, 16 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

David, Shh! 

That's probably the only way Rick could make a name for himself as a designer in Sweden:

1. Pay him to fly to Sweden and take measurements of your house with his theodolite and drones. 
  2. Wait months or years to let him take advantage of Ikea's free planning tools to lay out furniture and come up with what you need to buy. 
  3. Fly him back out to Sweden to measure the interior of your Volvo, again with theodolite and drones.
  4. Wait months or years for him to tell you whether or not you need to make one, two, or even more trips to Ikea to purchase everything you need given the spatial limitations of your Volvo.
  5. For an extra service, pay him to fly out to Sweden again and direct contractors how to construct the Ikea furniture by googling the instructions on the intranet.
Jul 12, 16 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Richard I only know about Norway, not the rest of Scandinavia, but in Norway there are four levels of architects and only the first is unregulated by building authorities, and that's because the first isn't allowed to sign building permit applications or exhibits.  The three higher ranks all require a professional degree, and then progressively more years of experience per designation.  If you're the first level and you don't have the degree there are no exceptions and no way to move up unless you get the degree.  The first level can practice and call themselves architects but they always need a degreed architect to supervise the production of the permit exhibits and sign the papers.  It would be unlikely that somebody would agree to do that for your projects unless maybe you can find a Norwegian degreed architect in Oregon to supervise.

Jul 12, 16 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Only Denmark is left!  Hell, throw in Finland... 

Someone with experience in either of those two places?

Jul 12, 16 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

Sponty,

Jul 12, 16 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Great, so I provide facts, and that's something to snub? I'm pretty sure even you will be able to google and verify that my info is indeed 100% correct.  You're giving me snark because... why exactly?  You don't like to base your career decisions on accurate information? 

Joining the pledge then.  Uh.. buh-bye!

Jul 12, 16 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Parting gift since you doubt personal experience: a link.   See both "Protection of the Function of Architects" in Professional Title table, and note #2 under "Access to the Profession".  http://www.ace-cae.eu/62/

Jul 12, 16 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

You know he's going to tell you how his interpretation of norwegian law is better than the Architects' Council of Europe and your personal experience put together, right? Because, you know, 10 years of community college AND he used to have a reindeer sweater.

Jul 12, 16 10:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: