Archinect
anchor

PRACTISING LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE IN SCANDINAVIA

WMMP

Hi everyone!

I have recently finished my Masters Degree in Landscape Architecture from University of Sheffield in the U.K. with one year of work experience. I am looking into the possibility of applying for a job somewhere in Scandinavia because I love the lifestyle over there and I feel like design is approached very differently over there!

Was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience in working as a Landscape Architect in Scandinavia? Do you have a Chartership system over there? I have specifically been looking into Copenhagen as I've been there before and know some people so could be a good starting point. 

Any advice or comments are appreciated!

Jun 22, 16 12:28 pm

What countries specifically? I'd say the answer is no. Copenhagen implies Denmark. Simple answer is no. However, there are professional societies that exists that you must be licensed to use their trademark for certification title. I had been looking at this myself albeit not so much for 'landscape' architect but architect in general. 

Jun 22, 16 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

balkins you don't know shit.

Jun 22, 16 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

chigurh,

it's no coincidence that balkins talked about starting a building design business in the scandinavian region and now someone posts this question.  balkins is clearly the ultimate troll.  possibly CIA?  there's no question in my mind he is WMMP.  

Jun 22, 16 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

chigurh,

Jun 22, 16 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

"starting a building design business in the scandinavian region"....

ha.

Jun 22, 16 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

I'd say the answer is no...Simple answer is no.

No to what?  The OP wasn't asking a yes-no question.  The question was open-ended, about people's experiences in the region.  You don't have any experience there Rick, nor do you have any experience in landscape design, so why are you responding?

Jun 22, 16 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

Rick gets confused, and thinks that posters must be addressing him. Why else would their questions show up in his computer.

He was simply responding to the question "wondering if anyone has ever had any experience in working as a Landscape Architect in Scandinavia?"

His answer was, in its own way, correct. No, he does not have any experience working as a landscape architect in Scandinavia. Doesn't really have any useful working experience at all.

He was also correct in noting that Copenhagen implies Denmark. Copenhagen is, in fact, in Denmark. Good job, Rick.

Sorry, WMMP. You probably thought that you'd get useful information posting on an international architecture forum. But, nope, you got fucking Balkins. And, once he shows up, threads die ignominious deaths. 

Jun 22, 16 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

I was referring to whether or not the person requires to be Chartered in Denmark. There is no Charter or regulation to be Chartered. If you want to design landscape, you just do it. It's more than that. Basic business licensing for domestic businesses, VAT registration, etc.

They do not have a licensing of architects or even landscape architects. They do not regulate the title or practice like the United States. They regulate through their building codes and other means such as holding you accountable for your actions. 

It's not like UK where you have to be a member of a charter of some kind to use the Architect title.

Got it?

There are multiple questions that was asked. I should have made it more clear which I was specifically responding to.  There is a voluntary professional society that one can register / apply membership to similar to RIBA. Okay. 

Jun 22, 16 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

It must be such an alien or foreign concept to people like kjdt that a person can be an architect or a landscape architect without having to have some license issued by a bureaucrat.

Jun 22, 16 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

The Balkinator: killing threads and spreading misinformation and Balkinitions since the beginning of the internet.

Jun 22, 16 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

Josh,

Before you go claiming misinformation, you need to get your facts. 

Book reference: 

International Practice for Architecture

Since the book is dated some, I further checked here:

http://apaw.uia-architectes.org/ang/compartida/webuia/apaw/inc/apaw-info.php?iso=DK&lang=en&theme=R

If you want to use the title: 

arkitekt m.a.a. ( with the m.a.a.) or "architect m.a.a", you'll need to be a member of the Demark's architect society and have the degree conferred or otherwise qualify. Similarly, there is probably some kind of landscape architect degree and society. However, the generic architect or landscape architect  is not regulated. These specialized certified member titles or such are only lightly regulated in a trademark or otherwise a particular degree conferred. 

If you don't care about the m.a.a. portion, it doesn't matter

http://www.landskabsarkitekter.dk/medlem/titlen_mdl

You may need to translate it. Google Chrome is good enough for it.

Such as Landscape Architect MDL or the Danish form of the title with the MDL.

If you don't care about the MDL, then don't worry about it.

Jun 22, 16 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

balkins you are wack.

Jun 22, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

Rick - TL;DR

My experience: It can be a bit hard for an outsider to find a job in Nordic countries. When I looked at going to Norway, I believe a firm would have to prove that not only was there not someone in Norway for the job but also no one in the EEC. So outside of marrying a Norwegian lady (maybe I'll find one in September), it would be tough.

This was in 2011 and times may have changed. This is just based on my experience. I'm not a Google Expert like the Balkinator.

Jun 22, 16 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

wmmp, what do you mean by "different approach over there".  Seems to be that they are more urban design "landscape"  focused...whereas, the U.K. Has a very strong and rich garden design history.  Ask yourself what the difference is between the "landscape" and the "garden"...those terms can be used interchangeably at times, but I believe that there is a distinct difference.  

Jun 22, 16 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

To me, the U.K. Is probably one of the best places I can imagine practicing...they have a stronger garden culture than probably any other western nation.  Maybe it's a case of "the grass is always greener..." 

Jun 22, 16 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

Josh:

Use a VAT fiscal representative service. This is a minor stuff. 

I am looking at starting one at a time in the process. It is all just a matter of process. Norway is not my my first one on the list. It's a process.

Jun 22, 16 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Copenhagen implies Denmark.
Are you serious?

It's not like UK where you have to be a member of a charter of some kind to use the Architect title.
Again - why do you feel like your opinion matters? You have no experience working in the US. You have no experience working in the UK. You have no experience working in Scandinavia.

Also, Josh - good luck on the lady-search in Norway. I spent 6 months in Scandinavia, and could not believe the jaw-dropping gorgeousness that was the women there.

Jun 22, 16 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Use a value added tax rep service to get a job in Norway? 1) do you even realize that you make no sense. 2) I'm most certainly not asking you for advice 3) three isn't polite to say.
Jun 22, 16 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Just say it. We're all thinking it.

Jun 22, 16 7:16 pm  · 
 · 

Josh,

Do you know the difference between engaging as a sole-proprietorship business and being an employee? If you are being employed as an employee, its a different matter and possibly not even a VAT matter. It makes no sense to set up branch offices in countries unless you plan to do business in those countries.

I'm not doing this as a employee to clients but as an independent contractor / self-employed enterprise. I don't need to worry about VAT so much if I was an employee of someone else.

As for the OP, it varies and runs the gamut. If the person becomes an employee of someone else, he doesn't have to worry about VAT issues. That's the employer's matter.

Jun 22, 16 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

would be interesting to know some of the major differences in architecture education in denmark for example.  do they build more as students?  do they learn more trade and craft skills?  

please refrain from replying with google searches or copy/paste from Danish school websites.  

limit responses to anyone who has a.  been there (even a layover counts)  b.  has been to school there.  c.  has read a physical book about a danish architect or scandinavian architecture that is not available online.  

Jun 22, 16 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not doing this as a employee to clients but as an independent contractor / self-employed enterprise. I don't need to worry about VAT so much if I was an employee of someone else.

Rick, you are making this thread all about you.

The OP is WMMP not RickB-OR. 

Jun 22, 16 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

You do realize almost every book except few rare historic copies of books that are only in a non-circulated special collections can be found online if look for it.

C) Is about impossible to be met.

Books are routinely scanned and put online on purpose. They are digitally scanned and they find their way online in some form or fashion. 

Even the entire Library of Congress is scanned and in digital form. New submissions are submitted in both digital and physical form. That has been going on for awhile. Other countries do so as well. Physical books are still accessed online through online stores. Many of those books can still be found in some digital format if you dig through the internet for it. 

There just isn't that many people who frequent this forum for your limitation demands to be be statistically viable. It's safe to say, they can ignore your 3 limitation criterion.

Jun 22, 16 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

It must be such an alien or foreign concept to people like kjdt that a person can be an architect or a landscape architect without having to have some license issued by a bureaucrat.

Rick, the OP is in the U.K., where licenses aren't customarily required for landscape architects, but many landscape architects are chartered professionals. A chartership is not the same thing as a license.

As for the "alien concept": many US states do not require licenses for landscape architects.  I believe I've explained to you before that I am a landscape architect, but not a licensed landscape architect.

Jun 22, 16 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

z1111,

The reasons the discussions or debates turns to focusing on me is all the personal attacks. If they simply shut up and leave me the hell alone and be civil and turn this into personal attacks, it wouldn't really be all about me.

Jun 22, 16 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, the OP is in the U.K., where licenses aren't customarily required for landscape architects, but many landscape architects are chartered professionals. A chartership is not the same thing as a license.

As for the "alien concept": many US states do not require licenses for landscape architects.  I believe I've explained to you before that I am a landscape architect, but not a licensed landscape architect.

Ok.

If I recall, you are a license architect or are you not? Just asking to make sure. In Oregon, we have the title nazis.... (joking but maybe not that far from the truth).

What I was saying earlier is, Denmark doesn't have compulsory requirement to be licensed or chartered or otherwise to use the title or to practice the profession aside from general business licensing/VAT/tax stuff. 

Jun 22, 16 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

Was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience in working as a Landscape Architect in Scandinavia? Do you have a Chartership system over there? I have specifically been looking into Copenhagen as I've been there before and know some people so could be a good starting point.

Rick, Yes it is true these dumpster fires are not one sided, however the op asked:

Was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience in working as a Landscape Architect in Scandinavia?

Do you?

You know you don't.

Do you have a Chartership system over there?

The OP was asking if someone has any experience working with the Chartership system, not a book report on the Chartership system.

This is why people get frustrated with you and respond with anger and insults.

1.You make comments about things you do not have any knowledge of,

2.drive the original poster away,

3.make it impossible for Individuals like me, who do not have anything useful to add to a discussion(posting a comment) to follow a discussion by individuals who do have something to say.

Jun 22, 16 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

The OP had multiple questions. I was only answering one of them not all of them.

Whether or not I have these experience, I don't answer those type of questions because they are always different experiences for each person. 

These subjective questions are a waste of time to ask or answer. It's like asking what is Los Angeles is like? Too fucking many different points of views. Even from residents who lived their whole life.

I answer questions that have definitive answers not open ended subjective questions.

Jun 22, 16 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, those were both open ended questions meant to start a discussion with someone who had experience working in Scandinavia as a landscape architect.

Do you have a Chartership system over there?

That was a leading question.

By your own standard, you should not have responded.

Jun 22, 16 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
I've come to the conclusion tonight that Balkins is the Donald Trump of Archinect.
Jun 23, 16 12:13 am  · 
 · 

^ Careful, he'd probably take that as a compliment.

Jun 23, 16 12:49 am  · 
 · 

z1111,

Anyone with internet and maybe 5 minutes can answer if there is a Chartership system. I already answered that.

Jun 23, 16 1:08 am  · 
 · 

Josh,

Despite Donald's antics, he's more successful financially than you are.

Jun 23, 16 1:11 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Hey, maybe there's a VP spot in there for you Rick.  

Jun 23, 16 1:18 am  · 
 · 

I don't know jla-x.

Jun 23, 16 1:54 am  · 
 · 

Rick, is it too much to ask that in the future you refrain from posting comments from Wikipedia or a google search?

Jun 23, 16 2:56 am  · 
 · 

z1111,

Is is possible for you to answer anything about architecture that isn't subjective or personal experience which only applies to your life that can't be found on the internet?

Jun 23, 16 3:27 am  · 
 · 

When someone asks a question that is basically "what is landscape architecture profession like in Denmark?"

Jun 23, 16 3:34 am  · 
 · 

Is it unreasonable to ask you to refrain from reposting from Wikipedia or a google search.

When someone asks a question that is basically "what is landscape architecture profession like in Denmark?"

If someone asks a question like that and you are not a landscape architect and have not been to Denmark, why would you post a comment?

Jun 23, 16 3:53 am  · 
 · 

edit^

Is it unreasonable to ask you to refrain from reposting from Wikipedia or a google search?

Jun 23, 16 4:09 am  · 
 · 

z1111,

You use google search to find the answers. This is how research IS done since ol' 1995 or so. You don't use libraries. 

So yes, it is UNREASONABLE. This is how you find the answer to a question about whether or not a charter is needed. It is stupid for someone to have to become a member of an association just to find out you don't have to. 

Jun 23, 16 4:49 am  · 
 · 

z1111,

What is in a state of one country is called landscape design maybe in another country simply landscape architecture.

Some countries don't delineate landscape architect and landscape design just as they don't delineate architect and building designer.

Jun 23, 16 4:54 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

OP, if you can find a job in the Nordics as a architect/landscaper good on you. In my experience its extremely difficult, most are interns/slave labour, even my Nordic friends have trouble finding jobs in their own countries.

Jun 23, 16 5:06 am  · 
 · 

You use google search to find the answers. This is how research IS done since ol' 1995 or so. You don't use libraries.

Then can you not assume this person has already done this and reposting it is redundant.

Jun 23, 16 5:13 am  · 
 · 

archiwutm8,

In context of locality:

When you serve as an employee, you are basically going to be treated as a drafter/intern. To be an Architect and function as THE ARCHITECT (or LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT), you need to own or be a co-owner of an architecture business. Otherwise, you are just a subordinate being given orders doing the crap work the owner(s) don't want to do themselves.

If you want to be the architect and do the work as Architect, you need to take up an ownership role. This was how it was when a license is not required to practice architect. That was how it was in the U.S. before licensing laws.

The owners of existing firms aren't going to give up ownership shares lightly. 

If you want to be an architect, you open up shop and do the work of getting projects, doing the projects, collecting the money, etc.

I over simplified it for scale of brevity. There is a lot more. 

The same is for landscape architect.

If you work for someone else, you are working to implement the ideas of the owner(s) (Principals) of the business that employs you. You are just the invisible support. Some firms do in fact have a more leveled way of doing things where everyone is part of the team. After all, everyone is an architect. Right? Everyone in the firm is a landscape architect, right?

Of course, the owners of the firms have a leg up because they have the equity and stake. They have the skin in the game as it is their business.

Jun 23, 16 5:23 am  · 
 · 

Then can you not assume this person has already done this and reposting it is redundant.

No you can't assume the person did. Had the person did, the person would have already answered the question before ever posting. The fact the person asked a question which would have been answered had he/she already google search for the answer is proof that they were too lazy to have done it already before posting.

Had he/she done so, and still asked the question would be redundant, right?

Jun 23, 16 5:28 am  · 
 · 

In short, you can't assume the person did because the person was probably too lazy to do it at or prior to the time he/she asked. The fact they ask a question that would be answered if they google searched their answer, proves they didn't. 

Jun 23, 16 5:30 am  · 
 · 
I don't know Rick. I have yet to declare bankruptcy, yet alone do it multiple times.

Nice try, but your attempt at a blow swings and misses. As long as I'm able to live comfortably and how I want, I couldn't care less about what others make.
Jun 23, 16 5:35 am  · 
 · 

In short, you can't assume the person did because the person was probably too lazy to do it at or prior to the time he/she asked. The fact they ask a question that would be answered if they google searched their answer, proves they didn't.

Then why don't you just ask them to google it?

Your posts could be "Please use google to find the answer to your question(s)".

Simple, polite, done.

Jun 23, 16 5:51 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I ain't even gonna bother reading anything Rick says anymore, I'll just assume it as autistic blabbling for now on.

Jun 23, 16 6:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: