Archinect
anchor

PRACTISING LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE IN SCANDINAVIA

Schoon

I watched Good Will Hunting recently.  I liked the part where Robin Williams said "I can't learn anything from you that I can't read in some fucking book."  Seems applicable, except there's no Will Hunting in this thread.

Jun 23, 16 8:17 am  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Here is some first-hand, though dated (to 2007) experience:  The use of the title "landscape architect" is regulated in most of the Scandinavian countries.  You have to be a professional member of the professional association.  Projects are scarce, and the reality is that without the title you're not very marketable either to prospective clients or employers, at beyond a student intern level.  Generally there is comity in credentialing for landscape architects throughout Europe, so a U.K. chartered landscape architect is much more viable than a US-licensed landscape architect, but it's still an uphill battle unless you have connections where you want to work.

Jun 23, 16 9:56 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

You use google search to find the answers. This is how research IS done since ol' 1995 or so. You don't use libraries. 

Bullshit. Typing something into Google is not research. 

Jun 23, 16 9:57 am  · 
 · 

You use google search to find the answers. This is how research IS done since ol' 1995 or so. You don't use libraries. 

Bullshit. Typing something into Google is not research. 

You are right but it is part of the research process. In this internet age, you find the information to answer question on the internet. To do so, requires using search engines. This is how it is done. There is more information for research on the internet than any library including the Library of Congress. 

Why would you cripple research to only that can be found in a small 'brick & mortar' library that's open maybe 8am to 5pm or 8am to 10pm for maybe 5 days a week, when you can have access to a global information resource, available to you 24/7 ?

Using a search engine is the primary means to finding information on the internet. It is kind of like going through the Library computer to find the books on a topic you are looking so you can know what books are available and where in the library to get the book.

Jun 23, 16 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

so far i've thought of 7 methods of doing research and collecting information.  all valid in 2016.  the op was using "interview" through a web based platform.  not web search i.e.: google.

research methods:

online databases 

library loans/exchanges  

observation 

interview

surveys

participant observation 

web search 

Jun 23, 16 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

One of those questions are not adequate for using interviews because interviews are basically used jointly in a survey process.

The only question valid for interview or surveys is:

Was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience in working as a Landscape Architect in Scandinavia?

This is more a survey mechanism than an interview. Interviews are more involved and on a one on one or similar basis.

The other question "Do you have a Chartership system over there?" is a question with a clear fact and not a survey of opinions. When you have that, web search is effective and able to be found in matter of minutes.

This second question is broader Scandinavia but he specifically indicated a context which is Denmark. In the FOUR Scandinavian or Nordic countries in the area: Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and Norway - it takes specific quick research for each country but each of them have a professional society. None of them, explicitly requires a license to practice architecture or landscape architecture or the general titles for these professions. These countries are more relaxed over the title and general practice of architecture.

These are found through research of the laws and credible sources on the web that a simple web search will find. 

I had already invested more time than a few minutes on researching the laws of these questions. 

Jun 23, 16 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

The point is to use the right tool for the right question.

Jun 23, 16 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, I will ask again.

In short, you can't assume the person did because the person was probably too lazy to do it at or prior to the time he/she asked. The fact they ask a question that would be answered if they google searched their answer, proves they didn't.

Then why don't you just ask them to google it?

Your posts could be "Please use google to find the answer to your question(s)".

Simple, polite, done.

Jun 23, 16 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

z1111,

Your posts could be "Please use google to find the answer to your question(s)".

Simple, polite, done.

You consider that polite? 

Jun 23, 16 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

What is impolite about it?

Jun 23, 16 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Ricks moving to Copenhagen?  I'm confused... Is he gonna change his name to Riksen van Balken and become a landscape architect? 

Jun 23, 16 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

jla-x,

No. Not at this time but extending services out into those countries.

I'd probably more than likely employ Swedish or Finnish form of the first name but the last name is a little bit trickier and better off not messing with. It's one thing to use a variant of a first name, it's another to muck around with last name that can cause all sorts of hell for legal matters.

Jun 23, 16 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: