Archinect
anchor

hard wood(y)

awaiting_deletion

he Janka hardness test measures the resistance of a sample of wood to denting and wear. It measures the force required to embed an 11.28 mm (.444 in) steel ball into wood to half the ball's diameter. This method leaves an indentation. A common use of Janka hardness ratings is to determine whether a species is suitable for use as flooring.

What wood is the hardest? (Archinect Sex Week, yo)

May 13, 16 10:36 pm
anonitect

Anything past hard maple is overkill for flooring. My white oak floors are 90 years old and look great.

Exotics have way too much baggage associated with them, I can't even appreciate the beauty of the wood anymore- I just see environmental destruction, slave labor, and the murder of activists opposed to the illegal lumber trade.

May 13, 16 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

anonitect, WHITE OAK is trending in NYC, is that why?

May 13, 16 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

All I get out of this is that there's a lot of hard wood in Brazil.

May 14, 16 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Hard wood loves Brazilian wax.

I'm 13.
May 14, 16 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

lol Josh. 

May 14, 16 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Before laying wood, I always give it my own hardness test. 

May 14, 16 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I appreciate all colors of hardwood. Especially if its cheap. I've heard that once you've installed black walnut, however, you will never use white oak again.

May 14, 16 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
All I'm going to say is that you need to have some firm walnut to indent a Brazilian cherry.
May 14, 16 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

who wood have guessed it?

May 14, 16 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Yippee!

There are so many exotic and beautiful woods that aren't shown in that scale of hardness. 

May 14, 16 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I was wondering, what is the best method of making wood harder?

May 14, 16 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

tintt, the act of burnishing wood, or repeatedly rubbing it, tends to do the trick.

May 14, 16 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
Jokes about hard wood from the ones that specify butt joints. Laugh it up with the LOLitects. Now at Zanies.
May 14, 16 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Tounge in groove
May 14, 16 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

josh you made this thread roll, hilarious. ....whats your Janka?

May 14, 16 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

to be clear, asking everyone about their Janka.

May 14, 16 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Its all about the redwood- size does matter!

May 14, 16 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

TigerWoods require frequent polishing.

May 15, 16 12:48 am  · 
 · 
Olaf, you'll have to sign up for my website to download a spec sheet.
May 16, 16 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

It leaves out Black Locust; a US harvest wood... 1700 hardness factor and rot/decay resistant.  The hard one is finding someone who can kiln it properly, so it has a reputation for warping in the field.  

May 16, 16 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

further mightyaa, Van Valkenburgh, Noone, Zolli, and Lavender released a report back in 2011, highlighting all the reasons why Black Locust should be spec'd over IPE and other tropical hardwoods.

May 17, 16 1:12 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

There is an argument for using tropical hardwoods that are certified by the FSC: it encourages conservation to some degree. Otherwise, as the world's forests continue to be rapidly cleared, they just burn the trees to make room for short-lived farming or development.

Black locust is awesome. I planted a grove of it to use for fence posts on my small farm. Not only is it super hard and super rot resistant, but it's leguminous, which means that its roots harbor bacteria that capture nitrogen from the atmosphere, which is much more sustainable than using typical petroleum-derived nitrogen fertilizer. It also coppices, so you can cut it down and it will sprout new growth--a never-ending fence post factory. Other woods are easier to use and better for woodworking, IME. 

May 17, 16 8:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: