Archinect
anchor

Contractor's license?

As for this pre-qual list. What's the point of getting on this so called pre-qual list when they won't select you because you don't have 50+ employees or something crazy requirement like that. (Note: 50+ isn't meant to designate an exact number but symbolically referring to some designated staff amount. How do one even apply to be on it. That's a good question, though.

Spend $100,000 to apply?

The system had been built to support 'firms' not sole-proprietors. It was leagues of large architectural firms that contrived this QBS system in the first place. 

May 11, 16 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
nicholass817

Where are you? It's probably a bit more relaxed. Let me guess, Texas?

Oye, you are going to piss off some Texans...a bit more relaxed my ass.  

May 11, 16 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Rick you're inventing things again:  Spend $100,000 to apply?

The application fees here range from about $100 to a grand max of $750, depending on the type and scale of work you want to be eligible for.  I haven't looked into this for Oregon but I very highly doubt that it's 100k to get on the list.

So basically you're complaining because local designers aren't being selected, but you can't answer whether any have been pre-qualified, and whether any of those have gone after the projects? 

May 11, 16 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Every architect by virtue of license is suppose to be able to be qualified to design ANY building of any size by themselves. Especially three story buildings.

That so Howard Roark of you, Rick. Try working in a real office for a bit and get back to us on the feasibility of your statement.

May 11, 16 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

I'd like to know what happened to Miles, too. Kind of an asshole, but occasionally insightful.

(Sorry for superfluousness of my comment Kevin, I'm glad you got feedback from Wurdan and others with actual info to impart before your thread devolved into more Balkins clusterfuckery. You're the real thread killer, RIck.)

May 11, 16 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Miles stated, in another thread, that he was done with this place as long as RickB-OR-RWCB-PBD-Astoria was mucking up every thread...

May 11, 16 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

^I'm getting there, myself.

May 11, 16 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This doesn't seem too hard, maybe I'll go be a contractor in a few years.

Money's certainly better.

May 11, 16 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

Excuse me E_I,

Architects like John Wicks didn't have a bunch of employees and he designed most of the buildings in Astoria other than the pre-20th century buildings in Astoria. He did most of that himself. There wasn't this whole idea that you had to think in a group committee fashion. 

If you can't design as an individual entire buildings then maybe the whole licensing isn't worth a....

Howard Roark knew what he was doing. He could design buildings himself. He didn't need a corporate team to group think (design by committee) buildings. 

May 11, 16 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Pardon me Rick. Let me rephrase ...

That so Howard Roark of you, Rick. Try working in a real office for a bit and get back to us on the feasibility of your statement for the current decade.

All due respect to John Wicks, his work, and his memory ... he passed away in 1963. A lot of things have changed since then. 

Also, all due respect to Ayn Rand ... Howard Roark is a fictional character in a book published in 1943. He could not have known what he was doing, because he did nothing. But I suppose you associate quite closely with the character then.

May 11, 16 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

It's almost like things got more complicated since the 20's

May 11, 16 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Lol.  Rick, YOU DO REALIZE that Howard Roark isn't real right?

May 11, 16 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Did you ever hear the apocryphal story about Ayn Rand meeting FLW, who she openly credited many of Howard Roark's traits to?

May 11, 16 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

"He could not have known what he was doing, because he did nothing. But I suppose you associate quite closely with the character then"

savage 

May 11, 16 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

jla-x,

Yes, I know that.

E_I,

While a lot of things have changed but a lot of it is still basically the same.

May 11, 16 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I never met an architect who designed a school alone.  But if Rick says so it must be true. 

May 11, 16 6:46 pm  · 
 · 

I'd say that you're no John Wicks. 

May 11, 16 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Rick Balkins I'd say you're no Rick Balkins.
May 11, 16 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Care to elaborate Rick? Remember to cite sources (we can't believe anything you say at this point without other sources to back it up).
May 11, 16 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
E_I Rick plagiarizes so can we even trust his citations?
May 11, 16 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

What do you want me to do, resurrect them. I have personally seen his drawings, blueprints, etc. You assume that you have to have dozens of people to do the work. Maybe instead of trying to use some strange structural system that has never been done before, you might have it figured out without a lot of rethinking everything. You are as inefficient as congress. How many senators does it take to screw in a light bulb. 

How many architects does it take to calculate a beam and size it. You know by rule of thumb that if the live load per sq.ft. is 50 psf. uniformally distributed live load, tributary width of 10' and a span of 15', you need an 8 x 12 but going up to 10 x 14 of #2 or better grade or even 12x16. This would be adequate for spanning most floor spans. When you have extra length spans, using steel girders is not unusual. Spans over 20 something feet becomes increasingly impractical with solid hewn  dimensional members for the most part as there is a certain point that they are cut to. Then you go into pre-engineered solutions of steel beams. 

At some point, you don't need to constantly recalculate the stuff for every project unless there is a demanding difference. School buildings are basically using the same structural systems as commercial buildings. Architects like John Wicks didn't necessarily try to use weird unproven structural systems for most projects. You don't design by committee. You don't get 50 different people's opinion because the truth with designing is, everyone has their opinion. You end up with hodge podge and inconsistency of a design language used throughout the building or even a group of buildings. 

The art of architecture is a personal expression. When multiple people are designing a project, then you have too many personal expressions of each person and not a singular coherent voice.

Maybe you are not taught in architecture school or in architectural internship these days to be an independent thinker. 

Architects in those days were certainly more independent thinkers and independent minded. I can tell you that from many sources including those directly from the times all essentially confirms what I said about being a sole-practitioner. 

We have to remember that QBS selection process didn't exist back then. People sought out their local resources as that built the local economy. Local architects. Local builders. Local economy. You also have to remember that engineers were not prevalent like they are these days. Engineers were mostly located in big cities as buildings were not their domain. Even structural engineers were not typically involved unless you got into trusses. Trusses being commonly in the engineers domain from railroads and bridge engineering. 

John Wicks wasn't a "firm". He was his own sole-practice. It wasn't until his daughter Ebba Wicks (Brown - married last name) became an architect and joined the practice. Ebba may have helped in making out the blueprints copies (cyanotype prints) from the original before going off to architecture school. In the early days, she aided in that process but when it came down to designing, she didn't get into that stage until after she went into architecture school.

One convention of the days was when drawings were prepared by a draftsman, you'll see "drafted by: firstname lastname"  and the architect's name (eventually.... architect's stamp as well). 

I have seen a number of his projects and at no point is there any indication of draftsmen in those days. I think the only time he pulled in draftsman was around 1923-1928. He didn't have large drafting teams. During the peak load in the office, he may have had one draftsman on board.

Most of the schools in the area, he designed himself. He had the ability and the skills to draft building plans. He didn't need 50 people. He might have had a draftsman for a relatively brief period of extraordinarily high load of projects at once. 

The idea of big architectural firms of several architects and large drafting teams was not the way things were. In some cases in the big cities, that maybe. However, outside the big city firm offices, architects in small communities did a lot of the work of designing buildings themselves or were small practices consisting of 2-5 individuals. 

There is a lot of sources out there if you just look for them that supports what I just said.

The reason you don't see a lot of sole-practitioners doing schools is because of the insurance companies. The architecture profession has its balls in hands of insurance companies.

May 11, 16 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

You are a walking plagiarist. Every word you speak or write is plagiarizing someone else.

The same with every line you draw.

May 11, 16 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
RWCB why don't you just quote Ecclesiastes 1:9 instead? It's more eloquent.
May 11, 16 11:51 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

There are limited first hand sources on John Wicks but I can tell you he didn't have a big architectural office. He did he work himself. In the pre-1920s, he was a sole-practitioner.

1920s, he may have called on draftsmen to aid in preparation of the plans for so many projects at once but he primarily did his own work. Most of the aiding would be in the preparations of blueprint copies.

The biggest reason architects these days are hesitant on doing large projects by themselves is the insurance companies. These insurance companies have the contemporary architectural profession by their balls.

That's the biggest #1 reason.

May 12, 16 12:18 am  · 
 · 

Ecclesiastes 1:9King James Version (KJV)

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes+1%3A9&version=KJV

Here you go no_form.

May 12, 16 12:19 am  · 
 · 

"While a lot of things have changed but a lot of it is still basically the same."

^ that is what I was asking you elaborate on. Not on whether or not John Wicks did it by himself. 

"Maybe you are not taught in architecture school or in architectural internship these days to be an independent thinker."

Thank you, but I'll take my own experiences in architecture school and in an architectural internship these days before I take your word based on not having graduated from architecture school and not having worked in an architectural internship. I think I'm a pretty independent thinker.

You complain that insurance companies have architects by the balls, ok. If that's the case, that's the reality of practice today. Just because you say architects in the early 20th century did things differently, that doesn't make anything change today.

I have worked on schools before. We did it with a small team (not 50 people), it wasn't anything crazy or fancy. The design was straightforward, but it still took a team. How many schools have you worked on recently?

May 12, 16 12:41 am  · 
 · 

E_I,

It maybe a reality of today but not something that couldn't be changed. Don't be dependent on them and they have no control over you. 

You either accept things as they are or you don't.

I have worked on schools before. We did it with a small team (not 50 people), it wasn't anything crazy or fancy. The design was straightforward, but it still took a team. How many schools have you worked on recently?

How are they constructed differently? I can probably do a schematic design in about 1-2 maybe 3 weeks once I have a project program including spatial-function requirements. That may take a little bit of time. I can probably design in 4 weeks after that some DD level drawings. Then it is just 3 months or so to prepare CDs that would meet the building codes requirements of the building.... (we know the BD would not accept it without an architect stamp but still... lets assume we didn't have the architect licensing laws but all the provisions of the law applies. It could be a 6-9 months of Pre-design/Design phase by myself. 

Legally, I can only do this in a hypothetical scenario. You're an "intern" so you didn't do the project yourself. Legally, you can't work on projects that's required to have an architect's stamp on it, entirely by yourself until you are licensed. You know that.

You know there are laws to follow. Even for me. 

May 12, 16 1:26 am  · 
 · 
^ Richard Balkins everyone. Changing the profession one hypothetical project at a time.

You're still not explaining what is basically the same and what has changed from the early 20th century.
May 12, 16 2:16 am  · 
 · 

E_I,

If I have to explain it for you then you have a serious problem.

May 12, 16 2:58 am  · 
 · 
You sound like a teenager who is getting called on their bluff Balkins. If you can't explain your statement, that's fine. I understand you just are making it up.
May 12, 16 9:05 am  · 
 · 
Teenage Balkins: I totally got to second base last night with Wendy Peffercorn.

Disbelieving teen: no you didn't.

Teenage Balkins: Yes I did.

Disbelieving teen: What was it like then?

Teenage Balkins: If I have to explain it for you then you have a serious problem.

Disbelieving teen: Whatever Balkins.
May 12, 16 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You know...when your feeling them...they feel like a...bag of Sand

May 12, 16 10:14 am  · 
 · 
nicholass817

NM

May 12, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

"

The biggest reason architects these days are hesitant on doing large projects by themselves is the insurance companies. These insurance companies have the contemporary architectural profession by their balls.

That's the biggest #1 reason."

you are such a clueless dumbass, balkins.

I just now sent out bid documents for a high school auditorium renovation, in a building constructed around 1933.  The sheet set from the theater consultant alone is larger than the original CD set for the entire building.  

May 12, 16 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

Dangermouse,

Some of you like to writer too much. Be verbose or whatever. Add to that, asshole, architects spent time EVERY work day at each job site for projects under construction at the same time. They spent time being there to communicate to the builders. The builders actually know what they were doing as well. 

If you have to explain every damn little detail to a builder with experience, you are going to have these 100+ sheet sets. There is some things like being there. I'm sure firms working on projects out of their area will likely be more verbose because they don't want to be at the job site.

The original CD set was efficient communication.

These encyclopedia sets you guys are issuing, the builders are not going to use or read through. They don't have time for that on a job site. It takes like 16 hours a day for months just to read all that shit. Are you going to tell me some guy framing a fucking roof rafter is going to read through a 1000 sheet set of plans and 10 volumes of specifications (each of which is 1000+ pages each). Fuck you. That isn't going to happen.

May 12, 16 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"If you have to explain every damn little detail to a builder with experience, you are going to have these 100+ sheet sets. "

Balkins, that's spoken like someone who's never had to work a day in this profession.

May 12, 16 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

god you are such a dumbass.  

the bid set is detailed because that allows the contractor to better estimate his costs.  the original auditorium had a single light bar with switch operated lights.  now, we have 10 light bars that are digitally operated from a lighting booth.  if you fuck up the wiring, or make an incorrect equipment substitution, then the system doesn't work.  this means the consultant has 3 pages of lighting plans, 3 pages of lighting elevations, and two pages of lighting details.  the result is a project that is both on time, on budget, and functions correctly.  the client is happy!  we get more work in the future. horray!

obviously the framer isn't going to pour through the spec sheet.  stop straw-manning me. but they will consult the plans.  seriously, you are so clueless.  

the project manager, supervisor, and foreman at the GC do read through the set and the specs.  they catch shit I missed, we fix it, sometimes I catch something they missed during CA, and they fix it.   again, complicated system...delivered on time and on budget to the client.  none of this is possible without a large document set that communicates the parameters of the project, establishes expectations, and manages outcomes.

May 12, 16 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

"Some of you like to writer too much"

what the fuck is this.  you're like a chimp bashing the keyboard.  just stop.  get a real job ffs.

May 12, 16 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

when rwcb does a drawing set, it's about 2 pages, hand drafted, without a title block, incorrectly dimensioned, and sort of code compliant if you see it from his point of view.  but don't worry, he will be on the job site 24/7 making sure his potemkin village passes inspection and then burns down the next day.  

May 12, 16 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

did Richard Balkins the low grade con-artist shit on this thread as well. Thought we had him contained.

May 12, 16 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

ODN, balkins is explosive diarrhea...

May 12, 16 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

like this, more fraud and stupidity from Rchard Balkins "....is 50 psf. uniformally distributed live load, tributary width of 10' and a span of 15', you need an 8 x 12 but going up to 10 x 14 of #2 or better grade or even 12x16.".......where do i buy me some 12x16's...........Balkins has to be a bot, only I bot woukd say something so dumb and wrong.

May 12, 16 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

ODN, i agree with you on all but one point, richard being a bot.  my only evidence is that Lisa at Astoria Building Department does in fact know Dicky Ball-skins.  

May 12, 16 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

his mind is like a bot. its just data with no comprehension or sense. i wager he reads a lot of threads on architecture, copies the words from statements he thinks are convincing and pastes them in a word document for later use. over the years he has refined the word docs on various topics like "Balkins on Contractors", "Balkins on John Wick". the words are plagiarized but then melded and meshed into a Balkins speak diatribe. His mind clearly incorrectly cross references information and is convinced of fallacies as fact because they are statements documented in his word doc........he is a real Bot I guess.

May 12, 16 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf, 

Since you are a real person and probably a computer anyway, so why would I trust words from you about the past when I can trust the actual source from that time or for example people who knew John Wicks. Any better than that, you have to be from that time frame or for example be John Wicks reincarnate.

May 12, 16 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you said 'bot' enough that the program developed a 'bot' file.

RB did have experience on the c64.  maybe he developed an early attempt at ai, so he's a real person and also a bot.  time spent on all these internet forums is just to develop the program so it can build a bigger database to pull from.

all the programming and hobbyist forums picked up on it too quick, so he ended up on building designer forums because for whatever reason they're less likely to ban him.  i think the tricky part is that some posts would actually be real, perhaps as a way to seed the program (or just for him to kill time).  could be fun for us to find out which RB posts actually had a brain behind it.

May 12, 16 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

really Rick, really. that was a perfect example of Bot behavior. If you do not understand the disconnect between my statement and yours and the first half of your first sense non sense you clearly think like a BOT.

May 12, 16 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

curtkrams response was by a human Rick. and good points curt.

May 12, 16 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
"Those who say they are building designers but do not build nor design should rot in hell for all eternity." John Wicks, Astoria Beaver Daily, 1923.
May 12, 16 7:25 pm  · 
 · 

where do i buy me some 12x16's

Just to answer:

http://apacheforestproducts.com/products.php?page=timberproducts

That's just one source. 

May 12, 16 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: