Archinect
anchor

Contractor's license?

x-jla

Claims well paid contractor won't read plans...expects strangers to read long posts about Theodolites for free.    

May 13, 16 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

Balkins - you are a cad technician (not sure if you finished that certificate either) who follows prescriptive calculations for residential structures that are exempt under Oregon law.  

you do not know the first thing about sizing members for a school or any other building for that matter.  

from the CPBD thread you can't even correctly measure or draft a simple truss.

yet here you are arguing this with experienced, licensed professionals who do this work every day and coordinate such work with licensed structural engineers.  

let that sink in for a few minutes before dashing off another 1000+ words of utter nonsense.  

May 13, 16 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

You are so clueless- There are so many levels of oversight on the project.  Let's break 'em down by tier:

Owner

Architect / Construction Manager

• Structural Engineer
  • MPE Engineer
  • ID Architects
  • Other design team (depending on project)

General Contractor

• Project Manager
  • Site Supervisor

Subcontractor (multiple)

• Project Manager
  • Foreman

There are literally dozens of people looking at the drawings on a daily basis.  In some cases they know the drawings better than the Architect.  I worked for a GC after my last architecture firm; I burned the Architect weekly on the lack of info on his drawings and what they did/did not show.

May 13, 16 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

You're probably right that the physics of structural engineering hasn't changed much, but our understanding of the physics and how it is applied to buildings has most definitely changed since the early 20th century. I'm surprised you don't know this already given how much information is out there if you Google it, and that any college-level structural course teaches this.

"Until AISC introduced the Load and Resistance Factor Design (LRFD) specification in 1986, the design of steel structures was based solely on Allowable Stress Design (ASD) methodologies."

"LRFD is relatively new to timber.  It was explicitly included with ASD in the National Design Specification with the latest edition of the specification."

source (again, emphasis my own)

May 13, 16 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

btw, Richard somewhere above you wrote L/180 for the proposal of (2) 2x12s in the original sheethingless scenario. thats actually about right. as a BOT, do you even read your posts? did you forget that you actually confirmed my calculation that you say later is wrong.......fail

May 13, 16 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

JeromeS, I can't sit by and let Balkins struggle to defend himself. You said ...

"Unequivocally, no school project that I've worked on in the last 25 years had a wood framed floor. Oh, I'm sure RickiTickiTavi is gonna tell us all about..."

I have worked on a school project in the last 25 years that had a wood-framed floor ... well, really a mechanical platform above a corridor. The structural engineer used RedBuilt I-joists for the floor/platform framing.

Aw, shucks! I forgot that wooden I-joists were invented around the 1970's (late 60's maybe?). Guess that still doesn't work to defend RickiTickiTavi. Obviously, they wouldn't have been around in the early 20th century. Sorry Balkins, you're on your own. Don't say I didn't try to help.

May 13, 16 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Poor Kevin2 just wanted to know how to get a contractor's license.

May 13, 16 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

guys don't forget that when balkins designs a project, no one sees his drawings!  remember the theater.  he makes 3 sheets, shows them to the client, but not to the city, the contractor, or any of the workers!  he designs the project but makes sure there is no record of him designing the project.

he is like the phantom of the opera, but for B grade light commercial renovation!  all of us who have submitted drawings--we are the ones who are wrong!   the real way to be a designer is to do nothing!  

May 13, 16 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

You are forgetting factor of safety. If you design to absolute smallest cross-section required under any of the equations, you leave yourself no room for material deterioriation or damages that may occur over time. Why would I use a 12x16 or a 12x18 or 12x20, in case there is a fire or other damages or deterioriation, there is a chance that there is enough material remaining to be able to use the beam vs. possibly tearing down a building altogether and start all over. Also solid hewn timbers can not be guaranteed throughout its mass to have Structural Select quality throughout. It'll vary in grade. (hence quality and material properties). 

Yes, I do know about LRFD. It begins on page 51 of the book "Simplified Engineering for Architects and Builders" 11th edition. (I can't guarantee page numbers for other editions.

I typically use the Working Stress method. Then size up a notch or two is the sizes of members. Building requires performance based design to be equal to or superior to the performance standards outlined in prescriptive path. These deflections limits under designed loads are in fact a performance standard. I sometimes go above and beyond that. It comes down to what risks are you willing to accept. There is always risks.

AISC is about steel. LRFD is appropriate for products like steel where there is guaranteed attributes for the material being equal to or greater than that of the rating. Wood varies and therefore properties are likely not stress tested prior to being shipped. One reason I don't design on assumption of structural select in large timber beams is that condition almost doesn't exist these days because the trees aren't harvested at the 300+ year mark where the trees have a large enough diameter of harvested logs that there is no knots or other imperfections (that also reduces strength) throughout the entire cross section. It is possible with a built up beam but you need sufficient bonding of each ply of lumber used so the bonding point is not weaker than lumber plies that makes up the beam. The problem in a field built-up is there is usually a strength reduction factor and I have to increase for. At that point, it's probably easier to use a Glulam that's pre-engineered. With solid timber, I treat it on average as a #2 grade throughout. While, I can specify #SS or #1 & Btr grade but it's better to design with a lower grade in consideration.

These are methods of addressing factors of safety that I take into consideration. 

In any circumstances, I can use either method. I can use LRFD method and then the factors of safety is up to me or I use the ASD method and its factors of safety plus any additional factor of safety I am comfortable with.

I design with some overloading being factored in and still have performance meeting the code. 

I'm not always designing for cheap. One reason John Wick's buildings hold up for this long is that principle. There's the old saying "hell-for-stout". 

May 13, 16 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

btw, Richard somewhere above you wrote L/180 for the proposal of (2) 2x12s in the original sheethingless scenario. thats actually about right. as a BOT, do you even read your posts? did you forget that you actually confirmed my calculation that you say later is wrong.......fail

Olaf,

Ok but you failed your specification of l/240 unless you are using Ipe or something like it. 

May 13, 16 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

Poor Kevin2 just wanted to know how to get a contractor's license.

tduds,

Yes but some wants to pick fights with me. They don't get the idea of just don't. I can keep fighting until the ends of time... can they? 

May 13, 16 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

jla-x,

Claims well paid contractor won't read plans...expects strangers to read long posts about Theodolites for free. 

How many of you are dangling on a roof (6:12, 12:12, whatever) in 90+ degree weather while being on this forum?

How many of you are in an air conditioned cozy office in a cozy chair when reading on a forum? 

Who do you think I will have more sympathy for?

May 13, 16 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

The issue wasn't who you have more sympathy for.  It was whether the drawings and specs are used on-site.  Most of us have spent plenty of time on job sites and know the answer to this first-hand.  You are exposing your inexperience and ignorance yet again in your misassumptions in this thread.

Richard you still haven't answered my question about the total gross (not including the theater project) of all your built projects over the past decade.  Please answer that.

Also answer: How many job sites have you worked on? How many project manuals have you written? For how many AIA or EJCDC contracts have you done CA?

May 13, 16 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, where would you get the idea I was forgetting factors of safety? Regardless, I didn't ask for your treatise on sizing heavy timber, nor an explanation on how you do it (why would I believe you anyway, when I had actual training in it and can ask actual structural engineers?). I was just pointing out that your assertion that the structural engineering you say is the same as it was in the early 20th century, based on your narrow understanding, has changed more than you originally thought. 

But congrats on knowing what page number to look at in an outdated edition of a book.

Got anything else that is the same in architecture as it was a century ago?

May 13, 16 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

tduds,

The foreman would be right outside directing the framers, right? Not in a job trailer.

Humans have legs and are known to move from location to location as the need arises.

tduds, you don't supervise and direct construction from inside a plywood box.

May 13, 16 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

"Yes but some wants to pick fights with me. "

Because someone asked for advice, and you rolled in claiming a contractors license cost 100k.  If you stop posting lies and bullshit, or better yet stop posting completely, then you won't get "attacked"

May 13, 16 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

It might not be the most current edition of that book but the equations hasn't changed. 

You do realize that these equations don't change that much. Not in 5 years. Sure, there are newer editions because they are in business to make new editions regularly. Book authoring/publishing business. 

Don't surprise me any.

May 13, 16 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

Because someone asked for advice, and you rolled in claiming a contractors license cost 100k.  If you stop posting lies and bullshit, or better yet stop posting completely, then you won't get "attacked"

Dangermouse,

You are lying. I never said that is cost $100K to get a contractor's license. The $100K comment was being facetious and it had nothing to do with contractor license. 

May 13, 16 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
"Don't surprise me any." I'm surprised you even know how to type. JFC you're ignorant Ricky.
May 13, 16 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
"the equations hasn't [sic] changed"

You sure about that Rick? Do you have the current version to compare?

"You do realize that these equations don't change that much"

So what is it? Do the equations not change, or do they not change that much? You do realize there is a difference, right?
May 13, 16 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

I said "SUBSTANTIALLY THE SAME". Do you know the difference?

May 13, 16 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
"I said 'SUBSTANTIALLY THE SAME'. [sic] Do you know the difference?"

Actually, that's not what you said. I can see you still haven't learned how to properly quote.

Regardless, the word you used is synonymous with substantially, so ok. That is still not my point. You said the equations haven't changed, then you say they haven't changed that much. Which is it?
May 13, 16 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

There hasn't been a revolution in physics understanding as used in engineering that would change the equations in any major way.

If the equation was scientifically correct 10 years ago, why would it not be in 10 years without a revolutionary breakthrough in physics.

May 13, 16 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Rick why are you even arguing this? You are out of your league. You have no education or training. You have no experience.

Go back to school, go get a job, go take a vacation in the outback. Go to the local bar and have a beer.

Do anything but keep posting shit on archinect or for that matter anywhere on the Internet.

Seriously.

Take care of yourself. Start by logging off and getting out of your parents basement.
May 13, 16 8:29 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

This professions changes a lot slower than the computer industry. That is why I doubt the equations changed in any significant way. If I plug in the equations under LRFD method of design, and computed for beam sizing, the values I will get will be about the same as the current edition. I bet the equation would be about the same as they were in the 1990s. 

Engineering calculations do not undergo revolutionary changes. That's not how science works. The last I recall, we haven't had a revolution that would change how we understand newtonian science.

The equation for uniform deflection and numerous other kinds of deflection of wood beams (for example) has not changed since the 19th century. 

The equations are the same equations. Not just similar. It is mathematically the exact SAME equations. They might change the some of the equation symbols and what they look like but when you know what the symbols mean, it is the same equation. The structure of the equations had not changed in over 125 years.

People familiar with newtonian physics understood newtonian physics the same as we do... especially as far as it is understood in engineering.

May 13, 16 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

balkins lets see the IPE calcs? that's the first fun thing you've said all thread.

and what type of blade do you cut IPE with?

May 13, 16 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins, you need to stop. "You do realize" ARUP, Cecil Balmond, Mutsuro Sasaki, The ICD/ITKE and others are doing some of the most complex engineering projects ever known to man. Way beyond the fucking dome of Brunelleschi or your shitty deck addition. So you're wrong on all accounts as fucking always. Get an education. Get a job. Take a vacation to the outback. Do anything that will get you real life experience doing something that earns you income and does something beneficial for humanity.
May 13, 16 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Richard you still haven't answered my question about the total gross (not including the theater project) of all your built projects over the past decade.  Please answer that.

Also answer: How many job sites have you worked on? How many project manuals have you written? For how many AIA or EJCDC contracts have you done CA?

May 13, 16 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Aluminate that's a challenging question.

but I'm sure he can give me a 5000 word essay on blades required for cutting IPE.

May 13, 16 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

balkins shut the fuck up about newtonian physics.  document sets are larger than 70 years ago because more shit goes into a building now.  it has nothing to do with structural sets.  they're basically the same size.  its environmental systems, finishes, wall schedules  and consultants.

May 13, 16 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf,

a blade harder and more durable than Ipe like a diamond tipped saw blade. That'll work. My rock cutting saw would do the trick.

You picked 4 architects (most of whom are not architects in the U.S. whose day job is probably a professor at some University because in their country, they can't get regular work. They practice architecture as hobbyist/artist not as a real full-time career. They don't work on real-world projects for real world people. They work for 'plastic' people who just wants some oversized art piece and to them, it doesn't matter if it is functional. 

Most of their designs, is eye candy but most part non-practical in a real world setting.

They are out of touch with what of touch with what people who uses the buildings wants. 

Most of us, I hope, are in the profession for a real world, serious, down to earth, career. I'm not in it to create a supersized coral reef on land. I design projects for people who want something realistic, within means. You tell me how in hell are we going to build something that looks like a coral reef in Astoria or other small towns. This shit has to be built like from a 1000 miles away and shipped to location. All of which contributes to environmental problems like global warming. 3d printed structures often using some kind of plastics (which is an oil based product) also is further application of using fossil fuel that isn't exactly that renewable.

I can probably design some structures using a lamella roof system but I have to look at cost factors and available skills. It is possible that with some effort and guidance, trades can learn how to make lamellas. There is nothing in the law that prohibits it. It is that you need the right kinds of buildings and roof form for such a roof to make sense and a budget that would support it.

Very seldom can any building that uses non-conventional components and structural systems ever be less expensive because it cost more on the labor and you don't usually offset enough on material cost to compensate for increased labor.

The majority of architects will continue to use conventional systems and conventional materials and largely conventional approaches.

Avante Garde architecture is something that will always be a rarity. Unless someone wants to explore that realm, you are not going to see a lot of that.

Builders costs more if you ask them to do more than conventional. 

Frankly, there isn't much investors investing in 3d printing for entire buildings or components. Until they have volume on equivalent level to plywood and lumber, I doubt they will be competing on the majority of commercial and residential projects.

There is certainly a lot a person can do with lamella roof systems, for example, but you need the right projects for it. It would be a remarkable project if I were to use a lamella roof on say a custom home. It would be something very few even know. In real world, this lamella roof I am talking about would probably be fantasy and whimsical dreaming unless someone was to give that much free reign to design and explore new form.

It would be awesome if a real project can have that opportunity. Most of us on any side of the licensing laws will never have that opportunity. You almost have to be rich and come from the social elite class to be a starchitect. You have to be a starchitect to have that kind of creative freedom. 

Fantasy aside, the real world isn't that open to explore new ideas like that. Most of us, have to be real. This is why many long-time basic methods of construction and materials are used, still.

You point out examples that represents maybe 0.1% of architecture built today.

Its like all these fantasy school/studio projects.

May 13, 16 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

You picked 4 architects (most of whom are not architects in the U.S. whose day job is probably a professor at some University because in their country, they can't get regular work. They practice architecture as hobbyist/artist not as a real full-time career. They don't work on real-world projects for real world people.

Rick if you can't afford to ever be wrong, for fear of tarnishing your self-proclaimed "godlike" status, then you should do your research FIRST before you post this sort of thing.  Otherwise you come off as the god of the idiots every time. These four firms put together have literally billions of dollars in real projects on the boards at this moment.  They employ hundreds of people.  They've designed thousands of real-world buildings that are functioning quite well.  

Now again:  where are the photos of your real-world down-to-earth projects for real people? What is the gross combined construction cost of all of your projects over the past decade?  How many AIA or EJCDC projects have you done CA for? 

May 13, 16 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

"You picked 4 architects..."  olaf didn't, no_form did.

BOT, get your shit together, you appear RETARDED. 

May 13, 16 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

They are out of touch with what of touch with what people who uses the buildings wants. 

May 13, 16 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

jawohl

May 13, 16 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Richard I had Cecil Balmond as a professor

you would never understand, but this man is on another level.

May 13, 16 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Jesus fucking Christ Richard your stupidity is BEYOND anything I've ever seen in my entire fucking life. You really are a bot as ODN has previously summarized.

The 4 offices I mentioned do real projects for real people in the real world. in fact they are so good at what they do that people pay to learn from them at universities. And clients know these offices deliver amazing fucking buildings and pay them oil tankers full of cash to design and build them.

You on the other hand are so pathetic that you can't even hire a hooker to fuck you if her last name was Balkins. Never mind getting someone to hire you to design their fucking dog house with heavy timber.
May 13, 16 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
Cecil Balmond as a professor had to be a great experience.

Also Rick, you aren't in the profession.
May 13, 16 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Remember when someone posted a pic or Rick with his friends at a bar? And people thought it was unkind....

May 13, 16 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

it was Josh, granted we had his presence on limited occasions.

May 13, 16 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

ha JermoS, yeah this guy deserves no kindness.

he is as dumb as he looks - and he earned it!

May 13, 16 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

Cecil Balmond, psh!  he is nothing next to urmensch balkins!

May 13, 16 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

lol...urrmensch balkins

jawohl!

May 13, 16 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
Can we start a petition to get Balkins on the archinect podcast? Just one episode. I wouldn't be able to stop laughing for a week if the way he talks is anywhere close to the way he writes.
May 13, 16 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Jerome, I posted the picture of Balkins at the bar - and it was not to be unkind - actually it was to bolster his own claim that he wasn't bald and fat like the cartoon to which he was being compared in that thread.  But those photos also show that he is able-bodied and able to leave his house - so I have lost all patience with his excuses for never getting any real-world design experience while playing design expert all over the Internet.  Balkins you are a perpetual child.  The only thing you're qualified to give expert advice on is freeloading.

May 13, 16 11:56 pm  · 
 · 

May 14, 16 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

May 14, 16 12:02 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

touch buildings that touch you that makes them in touch.

May 14, 16 12:14 am  · 
 · 

These four firms put together have literally billions of dollars in real projects on the boards at this moment.

I can design a 10,000 sq.ft. house with a 15,000 sq.ft. library to hold the building plans and specifications that would cost $10 TRILLION dollars. So fucking what.

What's this fascination of how many dollars spent on construction. It isn't the point. Who gives a fuck about how many dollars is blown in overspending. How many Billions of dollars do you con people into spending so you can get a bigger kickback out of the cost of construction. Yeah, I can be wasteful by buying the most expensive materials ever and inundate them with 1 MILLION 36x48 sheets of drawings and 100,000 pages of specifications so they have to build a library just for the plan and specifications set. Lets not forget also making sure the city building department has enough space for the two or three sets of all that that is to be submitted. Sure, if I want to be a real dick to a client, yeah... no problem. LOL!

Seriously, how much money spent on construction costs doesn't impress me one bit.

You can spend billions of dollars and have great architecture or billions of dollars and have utter shit or anywhere in between. 

May 14, 16 12:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: