Archinect
anchor

Will a silent majority rise against architecture’s elite?

l3wis

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/occupy-le-corbusier/

thought this was interesting; although i don't necessarily agree with the author

Apr 1, 16 7:21 pm
SneakyPete

"Traditional architecture...evolved by trial and error, teaching best practices to builders and architects generation by generation... But in the mid-20th century, new ideas took over, and the public has ever since been subjected to endless experimentation and vanity projects."

Trial and error is GREAT...or it's BAD...IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT I LIKE!

Apr 1, 16 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Also, can we PLEASE put a fucking bullet in the head of this fucking horse?

Clients pay for architecture. Bitch at them for hiring the "wrong" architects. Otherwise please bloviate elsewhere. 

Apr 1, 16 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

I can feel my silent majority rising.

are you on tindr l3wis?

Apr 1, 16 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
The article was paid for by the Driehaus Foundation. That shows its bias towards traditional architecture.

(Not saying anything bad about Driehaus, just pointing that out. After all, projects I've worked on have gotten two awards with his name on it in the past six months)
Apr 2, 16 1:43 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

No

Apr 2, 16 4:03 am  · 
 · 
boy in a well

this shit isnt worth a thread nor a dialogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQm8qpexnjo

draped in malta? fuck if i know

Apr 2, 16 4:52 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

The silent majority are all the poor CAD monkeys chained to their desk.

And when are they going to get up?

It's kinda coincidental that most of the students in architecture come from upper income families. In a way it is like indoctrinating your child into slavery. How sweet.

Dont do architecture kids now, architecture is bad now....umm kay!

Apr 2, 16 11:31 am  · 
 · 
D75201

Most of the comments complain about modernism attributing a lack of individualism or ignoring that people are unique, but if everyone lives in the same bad euro-rip-off McMansion on the same size lot, isn't that really taking away any individualism too?  Just because it's "classical" doesn't make it any less dehumanizing or repetitive if the design is poor and scale is wrong.

Apr 2, 16 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

One of the definitions of modernity is that things change every generation. They kinda have to. Doing things the way they have always been done cannot be mandated, interesting piece though. 

Apr 2, 16 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I bet this guy rents, and will always rent.
Apr 2, 16 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Architecture, like politics, is downstream from culture. If the culture changes, then architecture will change as a result. If not, then no.

Apr 4, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

If I understand this correctly, I agree that architecture should not be partisan. I tend to disagree with most of his statements, yet (i think) somehow agree with his conclusion, at least in regards to more livable communities.  

I'm not sure how "modernism" is contrary to his goal, unless he believe modernism is only "towers in a park."  Hasn't been that way in 40 some years.

Apr 4, 16 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

If Archinect.com is any indication, the majority is rarely silent.

Apr 4, 16 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

With these "panama papers" coming to light, it's highly likely a majority will rise against the elite, no need for arch adjectives. 

Apr 4, 16 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Apr 4, 16 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: