Jan 18, 16 10:43 am  · 
 · 
knock knock

and I have muslim friends.

So does Donald Trump.

Jan 18, 16 11:14 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

zaina - the entire angry sounding rant was intentional because YNN decided to bring up religion and culture as if that had anything to do with anything. so everytime that happens i willm just go into these long winded rambles, essentially mocking a user who thinks that point is relavent...........your category suggestion might work but as a few of have explained - there are better places on the web for making a call for papers. a forum, as i tried to auggest with ancient greek forum images is NOT whers you ask constructively for a Call for Papers - because anyone can say anything in response etc....

Jan 18, 16 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

haha, you Americans deserve this freedom of speech in return for the taxes you're paying... you can even fu** Trump ... no one cares! 

No one argues with the American "freedom of speech" :p :p

Jan 18, 16 11:23 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Calm down, obviously Europeans are the winners here.

Jan 18, 16 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

Olaf- a conflict happens only when both parties are mistaken, not saying that this is a conflict... it's just funny reading this conversation :p

- cool, I'm half European :p

Jan 18, 16 11:27 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

So does Donald Trump.

You do understand that I was making fun of you with that comment right?

Jan 18, 16 11:33 am  · 
 · 
knock knock

You do understand that I was making fun of you with that comment right?

First time in a two consecutive posts you haven't said f**k or s**t. Keep improving. Otherwise, the joke is on you.

Jan 18, 16 11:47 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

what conflict? this call for papers is getting Trump like coverage......fuck is a word, how others feel about it is their decision. a blog post is more serious than a forum post. and if a journal kept a blog here that would be cool. moreover, had this been a News announcement I doubt we would of gone down the meth/muslim rabbit hole (sounds trippy)

Jan 18, 16 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins, get a job.

Moving on. The best description I've heard for this forum is that it's a dive bar for architects. You can swear, shit talk, and generally let loose. So lighten up. "Why so serious?"
Jan 18, 16 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

Non Sequitur,

Ricky-Bobby, how many articles have you submitted to this civil eng journal?

To answer your question, I haven't submitted an article to this journal.

However, I did have a look at one of issues of the journal and the articles in a rather quick skim through. There isn't that many to begin with.

I'll repeat, I haven't submitted any such articles to it. I do feel the early reaction by a number of people such as nullpointer and Olaf was uncalled for and the latter b.s. is just that... b.s.

If someone said that the journal doesn't appear to be the kind of journal most architects can really add to the subject matter of civil engineering in an intelligent manner, or something along this line, I wouldn't have an issue. It is a bit more engineering and engineering research oriented so I don't believe it really something that most architects are really trained for or would be able to add to the research knowledge base in a manner that would be of interest to the target audience... civil engineers and civil engineering academics. There are some exceptions where an architect has civil & structural engineering behind them and they maybe suitable authors for such discussions.

Jan 18, 16 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
knock knock

"The refreshing thing about trump is that you at least know he's in it for personal gain. He's a business man and not a politician. The rest are bullshitters"  - no_form

"I shit on everyone's drawings.

It makes me look better in front of clients."

"Zaina is Balkins' twin raised in Saudi Arabia." - null pointer

and last but with a deeper conviction,

" there is a chance these guys (Oregon militia) are distant cousins or maybe i agree on various philosophical levels....but ynn you clealry do not understand what it means to be "western"..........again, a cultural gap you dont get and if you want to be technical Islam is 500 years younger than Christianitity, so technically speaking - your stupid unrelated trek into Muslim culture here only proves every 500 year old differencr cultural point - you are behind......but none of this has anything to do with this post.....you want to be taken seriously - go through the proper channels. end of story. " - olaf design

Carry on (v)olksHave a nice day. 

Jan 18, 16 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

YNN, anonymous FNG, goes after long time regulars for civility without any himself.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, methinks.

Now can we get back to imagining titles for papers to be produced?

Jan 18, 16 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^

"Investigation of hydro-static pressures exerted on foundation sky-hooks"

Is it just me or is this whole call for papers thing just another cash for publishing article mill.

Jan 18, 16 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
knock knock

YNN, anonymous FNG, goes after long time regulars for civility without any himself.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, methinks.

Now can we get back to imagining titles for papers to be produced?

Miles Jaffe, you should be the last one to talk about civility here. Did you f**k or dissed any architect today, yet? Bullies unite! 

Jan 18, 16 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Non Sequitur,

"Investigation of hydro-static pressures exerted on foundation sky-hooks"

Is it just me or is this whole call for papers thing just another cash for publishing article mill.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are publishers so I would be surprised if money wasn't a factor in their thinking when it comes to call for papers, etc. It's a business to some degree at least.

Jan 18, 16 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Rick, normally, a journal's quality is much lower when people pay to have their own articles published. Hence my article mill comment.

Jan 18, 16 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

"Zaina is Balkins' twin raised in Saudi Arabia." - null pointer

null is a silly american architect living a pathetic lonely life with his ugly cat :p 

hahaha 

- not saying that I hate cats :p 

Edit: he's barely an architect... no one have seen his work, have anyone?

Jan 18, 16 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

YNN said - "Many of these people are frustrated and can't think anything good can come out from Muslim named scholars. They are limited and interested in talking about only the popular gossip of architecture that give them immediate entertainment while working in someone's office."........you do realize you are the knucklehead that turned this thread into a shit stoem. had you not made such a slanderess incinuating possibly bigot comment we would just be making up silly paper names..................... Instability: Is it Civil or Civil Engineering

Jan 18, 16 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins you have been peer reviewed and denied publication. Still plagiarizing?
Jan 18, 16 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"Wetting the Bed: Investigations of water infiltration and soil erosion in early 20th century houses inhabited by cranky old men" 

Jan 18, 16 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
knock knock

So far bullies called me :

fucker

clueless

donkey dick

your inherint ignorance to a civil western debate

do you have the intelligence to get that??? ..I particpated in the logical outcome of this debate, hence proving your inherint bigotted, and ultimately anti free debate of higher intellectual discussion, reflecting your shortcomings as a human

stupid

emotion douche bag 

dumb

seriosly - dont post serious shit ona forum! your new name = fucking moron

the knucklehead

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, methinks

juniors,

you should all practice some civility and improve your game in oratory and written eloquence, otherwise, you all suck, humorless and contradict yourselves like desperate bores.

Jan 18, 16 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^meh, they are all more entertaining that you so who gives a fuck what you think?

Jan 18, 16 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
knock knock

^ You qualify, I should add you to that advice for juniors too because you also are a boring bully. Thanks for bringing to my attention.

Jan 18, 16 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No problem.

Happy to feed your delusions.

Jan 18, 16 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

YNN,

you start your posts with "Dear Diary,"

Jan 18, 16 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

your new name, you're taking this too seriously.  poor YNN, so butt hurt.

Jan 18, 16 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
knock knock

If you read your cohorts' posts you will quickly see who is really butt hurt. Try it even it is challenging for you. (edit)

"Caro Diario" or "Dear Diary" to you, is a great Nino Moretti film and I wouldn't waste it on you desperately boring forum bullies. You don't deserve anything like Dear Diary until you improve your game. I am cautiously optimistic.

I forgot to write in, as a bully group of Archinect, stop making jokes and belittling on other people's expense. It is really juvenile, and, did I say this before..?  Boring.

Ok, that's enough time I spent on you people, now I have to go and meet with my brilliant Arab engineer.

Jan 18, 16 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^idiot.

Jan 18, 16 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

did not read the whole thread.  for obvious reasons.

so, we're insulting people's cats now?

Jan 18, 16 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes Curt, but only the ugly ones.

Jan 18, 16 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Non Sequitur wrote: 

Rick, normally, a journal's quality is much lower when people pay to have their own articles published. Hence my article mill comment.

I have no data collected to counter your argument or opinion. At the same time it isn't substantiated so it comes down to so what... no need to argue. Take it for it is.

I can see that a number of journals can lose quality when people pay to have their own articles published. It can become a matter, if you have the money to pay the toll, it doesn't matter if the article is complete garbage.

While a paid article will likely result in finely written garbage because they got to keep the illusion of a good and well written article. The difference maybe between unpolished crap and a polished excrement discharge.

Jan 18, 16 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf's cat? Picture?

Jan 18, 16 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins you're an idiot. Self publishing aka vanity publishing is typically lower quality. There's a reason a peer review exists and if you don't make it, try again, or self publish. But since you can't come up with original ideas there's no need for you to worry about this.

Get a job!
Jan 18, 16 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

A Study of Incivility as a Method for Dealing Civily With the Uncivil. 

Author: Your New Name

Jan 18, 16 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

No one called YNN a donkey dick, first sign of being clueless. Nor did anyone intend to mock the Call for Papers because it was related to Muslim scholars. YNN and their biggotted ways suggested this, therefore making YNN not only a fucker but also a douche bag. its clear Your New Name you earned these Names, since you do not have one (thats a joke, do you get it?) so its not Name calling - they be facts.........Olaf has a cat? awesome! YNN your ignorance is astounding, hope you dont embarass your Arab engineer too much by making everyhing about you and your victimhood you so rightly earned...........wait what color is Olaf's cat?

Jan 18, 16 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Miles that was hilarious, love it.......btw Olafs cat might not be a white christian so be careful what you say in jest may be insulting and therefore an act of bullying!

Jan 18, 16 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

Jan 18, 16 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Rick there was an experiment done about 3 years ago in which a science writer sent deliberately bad papers with glaring and rudimentary scientific errors to over 300 open access (pay-to-publish) academic journals.  The papers were accepted by about 60% of those journals - including about 50% of the US-based journals, and over 90% of those based in India.  Other experiments have had similar results with papers that are entirely computer generated, and lower but still startling acceptance rates for papers containing paragraphs of gibberish.

It's a lot like those poetry contests that prey on high school kids, where everybody receives a letter congratulating them for "winning" - but then they have to buy the book in which they'll be published - with everyone else who entered the contest.  Or the whole "Who's Who" operation that flatters everyone whose name they can find by telling them they're notable - and then sells them the book with their name in it (which is never read by anyone except others listed in the same book.)  Or so-called professional organizations that tell everyone that they've won "building designer of the year" (or whatever title applies to their profession), but they'll have to pay $380 for the plaque, and $800 to attend the benefit dinner at which attendance is mandatory to collect the plaque.  Or those student travel operations that send parents letters stating that their child has been nominated as a "student ambassador" - all they have to do is pony up the money for the goodwill tour of Europe.  Or the resorts that host expensive "genius weekends", open only to those who somehow get on the exclusive secret nomination list (which magically includes everyone with a professional license)...

It's not that every open access journal is valueless.  But those of us who teach, write, or lecture are regularly inundated with these calls for papers that are really just appeals to vanity, usually with hidden price tags, to the point that they're a grating annoyance.  If you had that experience you'd understand the attitude in this thread.

Jan 18, 16 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

no_name, 

Sorry but you are too mentally ill for any civil discussion. Go get a psychiatrist.

Jan 18, 16 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

Sponty,

Before you continue. Let me make it clear, I don't disagree with Non Sequitur's opinion. I was making a casual jab at him for not providing original research, data collection and analysis or any research for that matter to support his argument. I also noted that I don't have any data collection or analysis on my part to challenge the argument, either. It is just an opinion and taking opposite sides over something and debating it without research is totally inane and stupid. Just to make that clear. 

Jan 18, 16 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Here's research and data:  http://science.sciencemag.org/content/342/6154/60.full

Jan 18, 16 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

Sponty,

Most such come on type crap would be sent to the trash can or caught by spam filters. As for call for papers, I more likely to ignore them because I don't really spend time writing these kinds of papers. I get inundated with spam all the time so what difference does it make? Why get worked up over it to become uncivil.

I don't let spam and other such crap really become grating annoyance to me. No_form is more a grating annoyance than these call for papers. I can understand not being fond of those vanity journals and their "Call for papers". We are also suppose to be adults, right? Adults are suppose to have control over their emotional & behavioral conduct and remain civil at all times. I know, I know... we fail to do that on this forum quite a bit. When I read this topic, it was already off the rail. I was annoyed by the uncivil behavior of some members of this forum. 

If I were to write journal articles, I would more than likely look to something backed or operated by a recognized and well accepted journals and I would look at whether the article and the journal are fitting.

As for self publishing and vanity journals... they are two different things. While vanity journals maybe a sort of self-publishing but it isn't, either because that is relying on a third party publisher to publish and then there is directly publishing your own article. Which then is 'journal blog' or self published papers than a journal. I agree with peer review.

I was looking at the 'Civil Engineering Journal', they claim to be "Civil Engineering Journal is a multidisciplinary, an open-access, internationally double-blind peer -reviewed journal concerned with all aspects of civil engineering, which include but are not necessarily restricted to:..." (I trimmed the rest as it isn't necessary). Are they really? I am not sure.

I don't have any intent to submit a paper to these guys. I'm a building designer. I am not necessarily that deep into the subject of civil engineering and civil engineering theories. I may know enough of the subject as it is pertinent to architecture/building design. I wouldn't think an article submission by me would be appropriate for a civil engineering journal. Arguably, it would be inappropriate for architects to submit papers to a civil engineering journal that is as focused on civil engineering as this one appears.  

Jan 18, 16 8:06 pm  · 
 · 

Here's research and data:  http://science.sciencemag.org/content/342/6154/60.full

Thanks Sponty.

Jan 18, 16 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
"If I were to write journal articles..." Balkins you can't because you plagiarize and have nothing to write about because you do nothing.

Get a job.
Jan 18, 16 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

No_form,

Why would I spend my time doing something for shitheads like yourself?

Jan 18, 16 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
knock knock

For all the boring bullies of the Archinect forum such as no_form

Jan 18, 16 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, a Jab at me?

No it was not.

Like Spontaneous mentions, scam journals are very common. There was a time where I was approached by a few because of my own research. Perhaps this civil one is not one of them but, I will always be suspicious of anyone who publishes for a price instead on on merit no how well they claim to peer-review. 

This is obvious to anyone with academic research experience.

Jan 18, 16 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

YNN - another clueless post

Richard makes a lot of shit up and copy pastes a lot and apparently has plagiarized in the past

if someone calls you out on your bullshit and then goes to town on you, that's not bullying, that is called justice.

welcome to the real world, son.

Jan 18, 16 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
knock knock

Seems like you are the one who does a lot of copy pasting jpegs. What does that make you? A self-absorbed junior level duplicitous low plains rider with a fake shadow? Hahaha. Busted! Entertaining at last!

Jan 18, 16 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: