Archinect
anchor

Architectural Computation

Spoon,

Your decade of experience doing what?

You were doing programming professionally as a career. You did a little scripting. Okay.

stungbyscorpion,

I'll keep it short. No 2500 word essay... since you're civil in your response.

Fair enough. 

Dec 23, 15 1:35 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

rick B and the weekly top 40, I understand your pyschological need to destroy young Jedi's threads, but lets do the abbridged version in threads like Stung is requesting amd then Rick you can have a unabridged thread. So you could make a 25 word comment with a link to your essay in the Balkins Unabbridged. when all said and done will have Orwell write about it................

Dec 23, 15 7:00 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Can't we just ban Richard? I was really looking forward to this thread but then fuckboi Richard came and wanted to prove his worth with his useless knowledge.

Dec 23, 15 7:56 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

motherfucking Balnkins,

you're doing the same shit again. romanticizing something you have no part in. much like you waxed autistic about blueprints and cyanotypes, you wax retarded about assembly and c64's.

you're an idiot; you couldn't keep up with the world and now you live in your parent's basement plotting to do things you're not skilled enough to accomplish.

10,000 hours, asshole.

Dec 23, 15 7:58 am  · 
 · 
leriot

Hey, stungbyscorpion!

Unfortunately, I can't give an insight, but I have an idea. Maybe you should try researching ocw by American and European universities like MIT or TU Delft. Usually they provide materials on pretty amazing stuff that is useful at least at school.

Also, try participating in architectural or computational conferences like SmartGeometry or design hackathons. That would not only be a good experience - people there usually discuss practical implementation on modern computational technologies in architecture and design. At least you should visit the SmartGeomertry page, they have some pretty interesting showcases online.

Dec 23, 15 8:48 am  · 
 · 
stungbyscorpion

Shifting all your valuable insights from the other thread I made on to this thread.

null pointer (History|Contact) Dec 21, 15 2:21 pm

When in doubt, Python.

If feeling beast, C#.

curtkram (History|Contact) Dec 21, 15 3:45 pm

c++, then c#

:)

if that's too hard, snap or dynamo.  more or less the same thing for a starting point.

note: i don't know anything about dynamo.

Xenakis (History|Contact) Dec 21, 15 4:03 pm

At least learn Python and C#  for both Dynamo and Grasshopper

stungbyscorpion (History|Contact) Dec 22, 15 3:58 am

Thank you all for your comments.

Any advice on how much time would it take for a person who has no prior experience in programming to reach a level where one could start basic programming relating to architecture. (using websites like lyndadotcom)

Olaf Design Ninja_ (History|Contact) Dec 22, 15 7:13 am

language is one thing, another is logic and math. if you are good at the latter maybe a few late night sessions in studio and you can use whichever language as a tool to essentially do some 'form making'.

null pointer (History|Contact) Dec 22, 15 8:25 am

What Olaf said.

Fear of math is what fucks people over when they try to work computational tools/coding into their workflow. Being able to whip out a quick script in RhinoPython when doing interative work pays off really fast - you just have to break away from the "we'll make it work" mindset and try to use math and code to understand a building as it is being designed (from pre-concept to CA).

Olaf Design Ninja_ (History|Contact) Dec 22, 15 10:14 am

and try to use math and code to understand a building as it is being designed (from pre-concept to CA)..........should be your mantra OP if this is the world you are getting into

Dec 23, 15 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

nullpointer:

Discontinue the use of profanity on this forum. Archinect site owner would appreciate it.

archiwqutm8:

Have anyone just thought.... "why don't I just call the instructor or professor or email him/her?"

Just contact them. C# or other .Net compliant languages and Python are probably the text-based programming languages you are going to use with any of the software aside from  a handful of scripting languages. Additionally, you may even use visual programming languages (VPL) sometimes categorized under the label "graphical programming language".

I don't keep up with the world, ha. 

Dec 23, 15 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Rick the OP is talking about applying to graduate programs - he's asking about things he can learn in advance that will better prepare him once he gets there.  Grad school isn't like CAD school - for the most part instruction isn't software- or programming-specific- those are just skills that students bring with them, that are used in the service of their graduate level work.  Most grad school faculty aren't there to teach computer skills, and couldn't care less what tools or language one utilizes.

As for keeping up with the world:  you have to join it in the first place in order to keep up.  When was the last time you interacted in person with someone outside of your house?

Dec 23, 15 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Discontinue the use of profanity on this forum. Archinect site owner would appreciate it.

this is dumbest fucking shit i have ever read.  my eyeballs hurt and now i am a dumber person for having read it.

also, if you have some time and want an intro to programming or scripting, i would highly recommend harvard's cs50 from edex.  i got most of the way through it before being distracted by something shiny.  it's free, well paced, and all in all a pretty amazing resource.

Dec 23, 15 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I was not taught a single program in grad school.  All programs were self and peer taught.  you may be able to attend seminars and study groups where you can get the basics of Grasshopper, Rhino, etc... but its mostly up to you to learn.

Dec 23, 15 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

Sure but you don't bring computer programming skills to a grad school program if you don't have it.

If they aren't requiring a particular group of programs or programming languages... okay. Then this runs the gamut. 

The instructors or professors should be able to provide guidance on the programs that will be customarily used to fulfill the assignments of the courses.

Dec 23, 15 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Shut the fuck up Richard W. Balkins.

(I'm going SEO the shit out of every thread you post on).

Dec 23, 15 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
I've been flagging balkins posts because they are just blatant lies and misinformation.
Dec 23, 15 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

thank you Stung for trying to bring it back.........there is a project you should look at and work in general Ruy-Klein Architects. look at the PS1 project with knots. Algorithms as instructions/ingredients for creating architecture is a good concept to study while surveying types of programming languages out there.

Dec 23, 15 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
VERB: Natures

And

"Tooling" by Aranda\Lasch is a good resource.
Dec 23, 15 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Tooling is really good.

Really really good.

Also suggest stuff like Programming Interactivity by Joshua Noble or the Nature of Code by Daniel Shiffman (which is open source, btw).

Dec 23, 15 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

yes yes......the foreword or afterword (can't remember) in Tooled is by Cecil Balmond, his book "informal" is very useful to grasp how architects and creative engineers tackle complex geometry with the assistance of math and programming

Dec 23, 15 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Also if we want to talk about built work I'd say toyo Ito's opera house (yeah yeah) is a pretty incredible example of computational design that isn't a little one off pavilion. Not that pavilions are a bad thing.
Dec 23, 15 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

another good read that archanonymous recommended was "Projectiles" by Bernard Cache on another thread.......... Although the texts are dated by tech standards, its a really good read for grasping the practical "philosophy" of why you would use programming and scripting to do things in architecture, at least at design to fabrication level. ........... I suggest this because you should also find and figure out how you think about coming from the virtual to the physical via a calculator (essentially) for architecture.................previously i mentioned math over time,this is because thats how I see a formula working out in architecture. I see myself doing step A then step B and so on. Some may see and more appropriately I think to BIM is A relates to B and both are outside of time......... i am most versed in 3dsMax which is really an animation program, so when I do what might appear like Rhino Grasshopper parametrics, what I am actually doing is animating all the variables of "parameters" (modifier stack) to an object over time. in Max there is the "snapshot" command which basically means you can extract individual stills..............now the more appropriate thought process is A to B without time because if you imagine a building with parts that are formed based on parameters such as Zoning, Energy, and Materials what you usually want to find is the most optimmum arrangement................i am suggesting all this to the OP for the following reasons. If one school pushes one program and another school pushes another you should read intro texts to both and then compare to how you imagine a building is designed.

Dec 23, 15 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Here I go diving in... I echo the others in saying that Grasshopper is phenomenal, couple that with python and the options are almost infinite (also C# or VB).  There are so many tools for a verity of interests (Kangaroo, Elk, Galapagos, Diva)  and a great community around Grasshopper.  Anytime something comes up in a project, I'm always surprised that there's at least someone else that is attempting to work on something for it.   

I also really enjoy Processing... maybe give Daniel Shiftman's Nature of Coding a try... he's so enthusiastic! Or Funprogramming.  

Oh, and Codecademy was where I started learning the basics of python, js, ect

I guess that brings up the question of what especially are you interested in computation for?

(BUTTTT, I'm no programmer, I'm just an architecture student with an immense interest in utilizing computation in the design process.    I go to one of the schools mentioned way earlier and I haven't been "taught" any of the tools but it provides me with the opportunity to test things out on projects.)   

Dec 23, 15 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

spatial that was beautiful.

Dec 24, 15 1:34 am  · 
 · 

no_form:

I'm not a moron.

These are morons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-w-mWhIWEM

Enjoy!

Dec 24, 15 1:49 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

richard read the literature

to date you perform slightly better than a bot.

Dec 24, 15 2:09 am  · 
 · 

Olaf,

I'll look into reading the literature suggested earlier. Just tracking down the material at a decent price. If there is specific literature on the subject of architectural computation or computational design, okay.

While I don't necessarily need sources for learning the programming or syntax of the programming languages as I can find them well enough for most any programming languages. While the algorithms are largely mathematical equations in a sequence.  I said that deliberately and not just mathematical equations. Procedural... procedural programming. whatever.

However, the algorithms can be interesting to see. While I am looking for practical application of computation in architectural design and form. I understand the application of computation for.... say.... energy analysis. There are tools already out there to do that. It maybe reinventing the wheel doing something that we have had tools up the wahzoo. The architecture community isn't very large so from a commercial aspect of software development the rule of supply & demand applies.

Aside from the application for energy analysis and uses like that, I am curious about the use from a architectural form and design perspective? There is some reading literature on that aspect so I'm curious on that end. I can see how computation to some level can correlate well with some of Le Corbusier's geometry focus. From a geometry perspective, it's mathematical and computers do that very well and very fast. Even a C64 can probably compute geometric forms very quickly. Blindingly fast to our human speed. That's not to suggest I would use a C64 or 128 for 'architectural design' (from a universal perspective of the word not the narrow legal definition of 'architecture' by the licensing bureaucrat's perspective.

Literature on that end could be interesting. (not the legalese stuff... we painstakingly know that or the C64/128.... my broader point). 

Maybe it is better to PM me on the answers so this beyond extending a duration of nonsense debate on this thread. 

Dec 24, 15 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins, no one uses a c64 to do what the op is asking about. It's anachronistic and irrelevant. You're like a caveman telling someone who drives a Ferrari that fire is going to be the next biggest tech breakthrough. Seriously. Go read a book and get a job.
Dec 24, 15 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

Where did I say the OP should be using a C64 to do this task? Did I say that? If so, what exact sentence did I say explicitly that the OP should use a C64?

My response is to Olaf so can you just butt out since your response is just annoyance because if you were in person..... lets just say that you should be happy that you are just a kid hiding behind a computer far away. At least Olaf understands what the C64 & 128 and how it has helped him even in his architecture career because it is where he learned the foundation of computer science and importance of computer science fundamentals in his application of the knowledge and skills in architecture. While he may have learned newer languages specifically used with the particular application. That knowledge and fundamental of computer science applies today as it did back then because it is the same fundamental knowledge. It doesn't matter if you used BASIC or Python. The fundamental computer science is the same.

He has done it enough to know what I am saying is true and is fact.

This isn't a suggestion to use the C64 for this.

Dec 24, 15 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
My suggestion is to use your c64 to find a job. Get a job.
Dec 24, 15 11:30 pm  · 
 · 

no_form:

I'm not enslaving myself to employers and their vision while I don't have the freedom for my own. 

If I reply to Olaf or someone else, other than you, can you not chime in with your noise. Olaf can handle himself in responding without you chirping in.

Dec 25, 15 4:16 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

#OFF TOPIC

RickB-OR, sometimes you have to "sell out" to employers to learn more about the profession and make a living.  There are some employers that I didn't care for (and another one that I loved) but the knowledge that was imparted was HUGELY valuable to my development in architecture/business.  Eventually, I'd like to start my own firm for the "freedom" it would entail but I have a list of places that I want to work before so to draw from their experience and knowledge.       

Dec 25, 15 10:18 am  · 
 · 

** OFF TOPIC **

Spatial,

Good points though but here's the bottom line:

Once you have a spouse and kids, if you haven't started a business before that, it becames exponentially more difficult to start a business after you start having a family.

Employees are not usually paid enough to do that. You end up being 'enslaved' to the employers and never start your own business.

The start-up capital you had been saving pretty much goes bye bye, let alone the time to even be able to bootstrap your business by the labor you may have to spend to get the business off the ground for weeks, months, whatever it takes before any money starts rolling in. It isn't impossible but exponentially more difficult to do after you start having a family.

Dec 25, 15 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins you have no spouse, no capital, nothing. Get a job. You know nothing about this profession. Working in a real office getting real experience is the best thing that can happen to you.
Dec 25, 15 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
So Balkins have you downloaded a trial version of Rhino and grasshopper and done some scripting yet? Oh yeah I didn't think so because you're too busy doing nothing. Can't wait to hear your next "noisy" post.
Dec 25, 15 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Dear Richard DUMBFUCK Balkins,

In order to find the problems that need solutions that can be accomplished through coding you need to experience them in practice. I am not going to give up anything to you. I worked my ass off to specialize and later on find solutions. Unless you're willing to pay up, fuck off and stop begging.

Dec 25, 15 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

hmmm.

Dec 25, 15 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's getting BALLkins in here.

Dec 25, 15 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Rikki, it's haute you "know" code, but zebras? Never knew.

Dec 25, 15 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

null pointer,

Fine. 

Dec 25, 15 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

BallKINS!!

Dec 25, 15 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: