Archinect
anchor

Architect as Master Builder

Cambino

Guys, I'm not trying to sell what an architect does short of being anything spectacular and beautiful in any way- just the opposite.  I think it can be an amazing process when the architect becomes the person in charge of building process as well.  It can also lead to a more successful business.  I met an architect here who started a company that does just that and also is a developer and is very successful (judging by his awesome home).  I'm not trying to say I know everything, I just think the idea of combining processes can have significant results when the architect is in charge and design is put first.

You guys know the building, and know how you want it built, so go through the processes of making sure it is done your way, it just makes sense to me.

Dec 2, 15 11:34 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

What's the other 0.04%? The anticipation is killing me.

Dec 2, 15 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

1/3 design & 1/3 construction admin?

Nope... more like 1/16th design and 2/3rd preventing the contractor from screwing the client and/or project.

Dec 2, 15 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Cambino

archiwutm Haha I was waiting for that...

Dec 2, 15 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Cambino

Non Sequitur,  right so shouldn't you just take over that process since 2/3 of your time is spent dealing with contractors anyways?  sometimes you just gotta do it yourself to get it done right

Dec 2, 15 11:42 am  · 
 · 
no_form
"I'm not trying to say I know everything..." Subtext-but I do.
Dec 2, 15 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Cambino

no_form you haven't even addressed the actual topic once.  I am simply stating my experience and opinion - what is yours? are you disagreeing that an architect should become a contractor also or not? i can't figure it out.

Dec 2, 15 11:45 am  · 
 · 

So...You don't know how UAV's how and how they would benefit you at all, what the market is like, the applications that use it already and how the law works with UAVs?

I have no idea what you've been blabbering about at all at this point.

I'll put it more simply, I do not know yet how it will be beneficial to me from a commercial perspective at this time. UAV market and applications are evolving.

As for the law when it comes to commercial use..... a manned aircraft pilot license is basically required to keep FAA off  one's ass.  FAA is developing a new regulation and licensing program for UAV which would be more suitable for UAVs. This is something I am considering.

From a commercial business perspective, I have to have an application that it would become useful to me where I make money and basically a ROI (return on investment). 

I understand there are applications where it would be potentially useful.

Dec 2, 15 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymoose

Balkins, you should move your base to 4chan. They'll love your shitposting.

Dec 2, 15 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Mr. Balkins you already said all of that.  Repeating everything five times doesn't make you any more credible.  Why do you think it will work now when it hasn't worked with any of your past nonsense.  Remember these?:

"It's illegal for architecture students to put dimensions on their drawings."

"Firms want as many staff as possible to be LEED accredited because they get more LEED points for each person. If they have 50 LEED people then the building gets all its points that way and they don't have to design a green buillding.

"No banks let you deposit checks by scanning or smartphone.  It's illegal."

"No school will let you get a 2nd bachelor degree. It’s impossible"

"The SAT has calculus on it and costs over $200 to take."

"Unemployment of architects in the US in 2008-2013 reached 90%."

"No landlord will let you run a home business from an apartment."

"You can’t measure a small, symmetrical, rectangular house with a tape measure from the ground. It’s impossible.”

"I have so much experience that the University of Oregon will give me an honorary B.Arch and put me right into the M.Arch. Maybe I'll even skip the 1st year."

Dec 2, 15 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Technically from a strict definition of law, if you are unlicensed and you prepare a complete construction document for a non-exempt building for architecture studio project where a contractor could confer enough information from the drawings to build it, it can constitute 'unlawful practice of architecture' as most students are UNLICENSED and most studio work is not under a legally compliant form of supervision and control of a licensed design professional... in many places in the U.S. 

That aside and off point,

I repeat what I said to archiwutm8 and others are too dense headed to respond in any way or form to understand what I said. I apologize that you understood it already and had to read through it again but maybe you need to complain about them NOT understanding what it is.

I think I was clear and am clear that from a commercial perspective, I have not concluded that UAV if it is beneficial, yet. That's a process still underway and evolving. It also isn't my #1 priority. 

Dec 2, 15 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

""You can’t measure a small, symmetrical, rectangular house with a tape measure from the ground. It’s impossible.”

I never said that.

That is someone else's quote. 

Dec 2, 15 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

these are good - I really need to start paying more attention to RWCB

Dec 2, 15 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

RWCB quotes will now be everywhere.

Dec 2, 15 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

I don't need this shit. 

Dec 2, 15 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Then stop posting everything 5 times.

Dec 2, 15 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

Fine but people here need to learn how to read so repeating isn't needed. 

Dec 2, 15 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Balkins is a propaganda bot created by NCARB to discredit the AIBD... Thats the only logical explaination...

Dec 2, 15 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Fine but people here need to learn how to read so repeating isn't needed. 

If it's for your posts then, no they don't. People are better off not reading them.

Dec 2, 15 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Rick B I see you dropped your PBD AIBD title. Does this mean you're now transitioning to aerospace engineer, programmer, surveyor, lawyer, or something new you've been cooking up since the Berlin Wall fell?
Dec 2, 15 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

Frankly,

No_Form.

MAYBE..... Maybe Not.

"To be, or not to be, that is the question...." - William Shakespeare

It may be simply that I am fed up with the bullshit of this fucked up forum. 

Dec 2, 15 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymoose

It may be simply that I am fed up with the bullshit of this fucked up forum. 

Yeah, because it's the forum that is fucked up. There's absolutely nothing wrong with certain people who post here.

Dec 2, 15 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

It is fucked up because there are too many ASSHOLES here.

Dec 2, 15 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymoose

Yeah, but what about the Dickheads?

Dec 2, 15 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

If you don't like it here why do you keep coming back?

FYI that's a rhetorical question, but one you really need to consider carefully. Preferably with a certified mental health professional.

Dec 2, 15 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

That too!

Dec 2, 15 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

G E T  A  J O B !

Dec 2, 15 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

JLC-1

I don't work as an employee for other people. I have chosen in my life to work my ass off for someone else to take all the credit for my own ideas. 

You can't afford to pay me what I value my own ideas. Unless you start talking $100 Billion dollars down payment.... you can go f--- yourself. That's why my own creative ideas are N.F.S. as my intellectual property rights are not up for sale for someone else to own.

Work for hire is giving away my copyright ownership to the employer who will take all credit for themselves.

Dec 2, 15 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

So you're unwilling to sell what nobody wants to buy?

Win-win!

Dec 2, 15 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

you don't have any ideas, get a job.

Dec 2, 15 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

It doesn't matter whether it is something nobody wants to buy or wants to buy. 

I'll sell implementations of my ideas where I retained my proprietorship rights to my intellectual properties and keep the money for myself and the credit. 

If I am going to do 90% of the work, I want 90% of the money received. I'm not going to settle for 1/100th of 1% of the pay for someone else getting the 99.99% of the money.

Sorry, but I heard about how architecture firms screw over their employees including those that no longer are their employees from real architects.

The only way to have control over your intellectual property is having ownership rights over it.

You don't get that as an employee.

Dec 2, 15 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

JLC-1,

I have my own ideas. I don't tell you.

Never tell away your ideas that you value or someone else will steal it.

Dec 2, 15 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

teleporters.

Dec 2, 15 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Balkins, that piece of "advice" only matters if your ideas are worth stealing in the first place.
Dec 2, 15 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

balkins, i'm not sure if it's legal to sell pot in Oregon, but if it is, you should probably start.  You're the perfect dealer.  30 something year old guy living in his parent's basement.  Clients come to you through word of mouth and pay you cash in full for each transaction.  it couldn't get any easier or more profitable for you.  plus if your clients are already baked they'll probably pay a premium for exclusive one time use of your many valuable "ideas."  

Dec 2, 15 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Cambino

this Balkins guy is having a bad day... you guys should stop roasting him.

I wish we could go back to the original topic, one that I find quite interesting.

Dec 2, 15 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

http://i.giphy.com/FHkyEinG7A4Sc.gif

Dec 2, 15 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Sorry Cambino, I had to get back to him....

Dec 2, 15 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Cambino

I cant help but applaud some clever giffage, I'll accept it as the comical relief

Dec 2, 15 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Cambino. stick around for 5 minutes and you'll be roasting him too.

Dec 2, 15 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

He's really having a more lucid day than most - not that that's saying much.

Getting rid of his real name and AIBD's logo were smarter moves than he can usually be persuaded to make.

Dec 2, 15 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

balkins,my app, pronto

Dec 2, 15 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

Yeah this is typical in this field, a lot of BS and off subject. Lets concentrate on the master builder thing. 

I agree with the master skill set approach, that is what I am trying to vouch for. Think of Brunelleschi and the Florence dome. The guy sketched, designed, managed the building and everything related to the dome. That's the master builder. 

I also understand that we live in a modern world with complex insurance laws, specialized trades and consultants. But I still think the best approach for an architect is this idea of the master builder. Not a master ego or master "bater", but a master builder.

For that to happen I think two things need to change:

1. Architectural education.
2. Architectural firms and employee relations. I spent 15 years working at least 12 hour days while watching union trades finish work at 4 and getting paid time and a half for anything after. 
3. Architect personalities. Too many bullshiters and "designers". Shut up and build something. 

Dec 5, 15 7:33 am  · 
 · 
Cambino

BennyC,

I don't think it can be part of the education system, that is alot to learn in 4 years.  You could get a dual degree in Arch and Construction Management I guess...I think it really just starts from someone who has the desire and passion to do more.   If you really want to be successful in doing what we do,  I think you just have to learn yourself, read books, study up, maybe work for a GC for a while.  I have complete confidence that any hard working architect can take on a GC role.

Handyman,

I'm confused.  Design-Build simply means not bidding a project- you already know who your subs are off the bat because the GC has a reputation and a good relationship with their guys (as opposed to Design-Bid-Build).  This does not mean the architect is the builder or GC.

Dec 7, 15 10:53 am  · 
 · 

There are many different ways to do a project without bidding it. Just because it isn't bid doesn't make it Design-Build. You can bid a DB project.

Design-Build simply means that the owner is contracting with one entity to provide both design and construction services. They don't have to be the same firm or entity, however. An architect and a GC could form a joint venture, or one could hire the other directly for example. Subs could be direct selected, negotiated, bid, etc. by the DB entity. The owner has one agreement with the DB entity.

Design-Bid-Build means that the owner is contracting with an architect to design, then bids the project out for a GC to build. The GC and the architect have no contractual relationship with each other. The owner has two agreements they've signed with two different entities ... one for design services, the other for construction services.

Dec 7, 15 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Cambino, you might want to read a few books on architectural project management, or maybe the CSI manual of practice, or even study materials for the contracts section of the ARE.  Design-Bid-Build and Design-Build are just two of numerous common contract arrangements. Design-Build refers solely to a single contract with the Owner for design and construction - it doesn't always mean that the contractor is the lead in that arrangement, or that the project isn't bid, or that the subs are known in advance. 

This should have been covered thoroughly in your professional practice curriculum in architecture school - but if it wasn't then it's very important, for your interests in particular, that you get a decent overview of this topic.

Dec 7, 15 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Cambino

Sorry guys for the generalization, I was just saying that design build doesn't mean that the architect is also the contractor, It just means there is one contact of communication (and contract) for the owner.  If the architect is the contact in the DB process, then they usually will be the one coordinating with the contractor, not doing the contractors job.  Generally speaking, at least in all business I have dealt with, we consider projects either design build or a design bid build.  Once again you guys are so quick to correct or out wit someone you miss the point completely. Thanks 5839, I'll go read some books and go back to school for saying something so completely irrational.

Dec 7, 15 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Cambino

Just did a wiki search on DB and it literally says "In contrast to Design Build is Design Bid Build"

Dec 7, 15 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Well if the wiki search said it, it must be true.

You should have googled this, CSI Project Delivery Practice Guide. It's a little longer than a wikipedia page, but so much more reliable and accurate.

Dec 7, 15 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Cambino

I do see now why my older post seems misleading.  Yes a Design Build project can be bid on, although typically in my experience it is not.  In either case I have never seen design build mean that an architect is doing general contracting, maybe there is a DB process that this is the case? If someone came to me and said they wanted their project done as design build, I would never take that as the architect is the GC, and it appeared to me as that is what handyman was saying.

Dec 7, 15 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: