Archinect
anchor

Architect as Master Builder

no_form

"I probably could design and build one and with a little bit of firmware changes from flight controllers used for quadcopters, it'll work."-rwcb, not a pbd.  

you can't even email a resume.  

but somehow you can design the mechanics and software for a fully functional quad copter capable of installing marble against a facade?  keep in mind quad copter design is something that the most intelligent engineers at the best funded universities are still perfecting.  amazon is trying to figure out how to get one to deliver a lightweight cardboard box.  

but hey, some guy who can't even measure a rectangle can do it.  

get a job.  

Dec 1, 15 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

I wonder how AIBD feels about having their logo attached to every one of Richard's posts.  I can't imagine he's what they had in mind for the voice of their organization.

Dec 1, 15 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe someone should show them how their fine organization is being represented. RWCB could have the buttons ripped off his uniform.

Dec 1, 15 8:44 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

I can email a resume if I want to. The fact I don't do so here is I don't TRUST you or kjdt or a lot of others here.

PS: You're a moron. quadcopters are being controlled by a computer controller comparable to the CPU in the Amiga 1200 and Playstation. It isn't terribly hard for a computer programmer who has been programming since the cold war.

A few comparable to a 486-dx2 or Pentium processor computing power.

Dec 1, 15 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
I'm an architect. I'm OK with not knowing how to program a quad copter.

You're a "professional building designer" who can't measure a rectangle with a pitched roof.

You need to debug your software.
Dec 1, 15 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

Honestly, 

If I were to send a resume, I would send it to Donna or some other individuals that I feel comfortable sending the resume to. 

Dec 1, 15 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

First off no_form,

No_form is not an architect. No one is licensed as an architect in the United States under the name No Form. 

If you continue to represent yourself as an architect without a valid architect license issued to you under the name no_form or no form then you are practicing without a valid architect license or even a firm registered under that name with a valid license or registration. 

If you do so, I will report you to all of the licensing boards that are members boards of NCARB and NCARB for misconduct and fraudulent practice if you do not disclose your real name and state of licensure including license # if someone else with same first & last name also has a license for purpose of license verification.

I'll give you 48 hours to comply. 

Dec 1, 15 10:35 pm  · 
 · 

Richard, I've got your resume, it's right here.

Now pack your bags and get a life. Nobody here is interested in reading any more of your crap.

Dec 1, 15 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

Why am I not interested in working as someone else's drone: 

Maybe, this architizer article by Nathaniel Eck might give you an idea. Although, for me, it isn't so much a generational manifesto.

Dec 1, 15 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

NCARB has nothing to do with people claiming (falsely or truthfully) to be architects.  They couldn't take any action on that even if they wanted to - when you contact NCARB about that you'll get the stock answer "we are sorry but you will have to make your report directly to the state."

Now what do you think any state is going to do about your report of a person who may or may not actually be an architect, who may or may not live in or have any connection to that state whatsoever?  

Dec 1, 15 11:03 pm  · 
 · 

Miles, 

I never put any of my projects there as of yet.

Dec 1, 15 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

He's got this other site too: https://sites.google.com/site/rickbalkinsbuildingdesigner/home/services

It doesn't have any work either, but it does have the now-familiar, oft-pilfered but never attributed  "...context is the many circumstances in which design is or was produced or interpreted. There are 3 arenas to the circumstances - each of which is highly complex..."

Plagiarism is actual real-life professional misconduct and misrepresentation, which state boards do tend to want to hear about, so it's good that Richard helpfully provides his name and address.

Dec 1, 15 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Please get a life after reporting 'no form' to ncarb and his state for misconduct. I really want to know how that works out.

Dec 1, 15 11:25 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt, 

It doesn't matter. It just gets sent to everyone.... shotgun approach. 

At worst, there is always cyberspace voodoo that can be implemented to get your identity.

Dec 1, 15 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Yeah, I understand you plan to just send it to everybody.  I just can't see any of the everybody's actually investigating.  Think about it: they get an email or letter from you that effectively says "there's this person on a website who says he or she is an architect.  I have no reason to think they live in your state, work in your state, or have ever been to your state, and I don't know their name or anything else about them, including whether they're even in the US, and for all I know they could be a 12 year old in Canada, but I expect you'll want to use your state's resources to investigate them."

In 48 of the states I think that'd go directly to the dead file.  In the other two they have long-established Balkins folders to which to add this latest gem.

Dec 1, 15 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

Maybe it just takes a little bit of cyberspace voodoo magic. 

Dec 1, 15 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

That takes a subpoena.  Which state do you think is going to even attempt to get one?

Dec 1, 15 11:47 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe my friends at the CIA and NSA might have a few magic tricks they can employ as a routine training op....... 

Whatever.... Subpoena isn't the only way to get squeeze information out of this lame web server or the ISP's.

Dec 1, 15 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

And when your CIA friends find out no_form is a teenager in Iceland, what are they going to do about him?  Do you get to watch?

Good night Richard.  Unlike you I need to get up for work tomorrow.

Dec 2, 15 12:00 am  · 
 · 

Frankly, kjdt... there is different time zones. I get up for work at my own schedule.

If he was a teenager in Iceland, then I guess it comes down to a point of who gives a fuck. You really think I will want to waste CIA/NSA resources on this shitite-turd?

Dec 2, 15 12:33 am  · 
 · 
greatescape

I feel like pulling my hair out reading all of this.

Dec 2, 15 12:49 am  · 
 · 
no_form

Dear Senate Committee on internet users making suspect claims I respectfully present to you, Richard WC Balkins, PBD (AIBD).  

stuff balkins claims to be:

• aerospace engineer (quad copter expert)
  • professional building designer
  • computer programmer
  • surveyor
  • constitutional lawyer
  • licensing law expert

supporting evidence:

• an associates degree in CAD drafting
  • watches youtube videos
  • reads wikipedia

stuff that discredits balkins:

• plagiarizes work
  • blatantly violates AIBD code of ethics
  • no work experience or education as a programmer
  • no work experience or education as an aerospace engineer
  • no work experience or education as a computer programmer
  • has never taken a law course
  • asked me how to use a steel tape measure 
Dec 2, 15 1:01 am  · 
 · 
Richard, you are not doing yourself any favors here. You should step back from the computer and go for a hike to Mt.Hood.
Dec 2, 15 1:12 am  · 
 · 

10 print"Go FUCK YOURSELF, No_Form !"

15 print

20 print "Press (1) for NO_FORM fornicates himself"

30 print "Press (2) for No_Form has a anal sex with a bull"

40  input a$

50 if a$="1" then 100

60 if a$="2" then 200

70 end

100 print"No_form can't find his penis":goto70

200 print"No_form screams with joy!":goto 70

No programming experience or education and yet I have a degree. This simple kindergarten example of BASIC programming just to laugh at your ass, No_Form. 

Dec 2, 15 1:34 am  · 
 · 
no_form

Josh Mings,

that's an excellent idea.  wish i could take that trip myself right now.  

Dec 2, 15 1:44 am  · 
 · 
no_form

balkins, i may be no_form, but you're just bad_form.  enjoy goonies land.

Dec 2, 15 1:50 am  · 
 · 

*rolleyes*

Dec 2, 15 1:51 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Tbh building a small quad isn't hard, you get the right parts and connect them together and wire in your wireless signal connectors foe the controller, there isn't much "programming" unless you do large scale and specified quads. I've worked with a few that can carry Faro scanners and heavy pro DSLRs, have a look at skyvue Hercules, they built theirs to carry RED cameras.

Dec 2, 15 1:57 am  · 
 · 

archiwutm8,

yep. Not hard at all. I agree with you. I was talking if I wanted to make a custom 'drone' using helium bladder and a singular induction fan blower system and so forth. More work but not beyond my intellect to figure out how to make. It might not be practical for me to do so considering I have fairly inexpensive options.  I want to be sure that is understood. I'm not saying I am GOING to do that. I would rather just use the quads that are out there or at most some specialized adaptions. 

My hesitation to use UAV/UAS/drones commercially is simply due to the politics, FAA, new media and the controversy that would just put me in a position of concern from a legality stand point. Sure, some say, fuck FAA but FAA is government and government tends to ultimately gain the control they want because they are the government. I don't want to end up having to defend myself with the Federal courts paying money on lawyers over commercial drone use and ultimately get screwed because I wouldn't be compensated for my lawyers if I were to win the case.

Keep in mind that the DSLRs although maybe heavy is not building material type heavy. 

Dec 2, 15 2:34 am  · 
 · 

I actually have a few quads. A couple that simply needs me to install the controllers, motors, etc. 

There are many options for me to choose from.

Dec 2, 15 2:36 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

But why would "you" specifically even need to use UAV's?..... . .. Using UAV's commercially for AEC work is easy...just hire a pilot or get the license yourself then get a permit. What other type of commercial would you need? the only real reason to even get a permit is when you use UAV's in public spaces but when you use them in buildings sites where you have permission you are allowed as long as you don't go too high.

My question is when you say "commercial" what do you mean? the reason why there is any controversy is because the stuff you hear in the media is about using UAV's for transportation or within the public realm, I don't see why anyone here would have problems at all.

Dec 2, 15 4:19 am  · 
 · 
KevinYounggg

As its been more than 30 years, I'm in the field of urban planning and capable of executing master planning, site planning and urban design. what I have observed that hand drafting is not appropriate to form an accurate sketch of building as it takes lot of time and moreover with hand drafting it takes to number of errors which can immensely affect the whole construction work.

Dec 2, 15 4:50 am  · 
 · 

archiwutm8,

Lack of qualified pilots available for this kind of work. It isn't that there is or isn't any pilots but they aren't exactly trained or experienced piloting a remote controlled aircraft or know what to collect in terms of information. 

Why would I need to use it? Remember, I am a sole-practitioner and generally by definition, I do EVERYTHING myself. NO assistance by another person. Any person I would have for assistance or delegate the work, I would have to pay them as an employee or as an independent contractor. If independent contractor, that's BILLED HOURLY RATE. Their direct labor rate would be comparable to what I would make per hour in this market. Take the multiplier and there is no cost saving for me or the client. I might as well do it myself. However, I am at the same time watching the legal process.

I am waiting also on the small UAS / micro UAS license process flow. The type of pilot license the want is not something that I would really need to safely operate a otherwise commercialized RC airplane. I think a more suitable license program would be reasonable but they haven't finalized that and as they take their sweet ass time, you know.... but I still try to abide the principle of recreational use which is good practice prior to commercial use, anyway. 

Public sidewalk and general public right of ways are also public space, just so you know and in town, that can be ugh.... tricky business. Common sense principle is sufficient at this time. Mainly, you don't around airports anywhere near the flight path of air craft taking off or landing at an airport. You don't fly near hospitals with helipads where you encroach on their flight path for landing or taking off and the approach paths. So common sense and understanding what goes on in the area so you know how to be safe. That's my principle, anyway. 

Don't be an asshole is key.

As for 'commercial', this is from FAA itself that I am paraphrasing. 

Let's say, you are taking photos of a building, ( I can see this even for residential but the height of flight would probably be much lower than some commercial), any photos or video footage from the UAV that you make that is in any way part of any form a commercial activity where money is being made (as far reaching as Google/Youtube making money through their ads that are injected into your uploaded Youtube videos) they require a license or they will levy fines. This levying fines alone is costly enough.

While, getting a pilot license that qualifies in the Exemption 333 standard would work under the current rules, it seems to be more costly and unneeded as you have to fly a manned aircraft for the qualified air time logs. I don't plan to fly a manned airplane which I do not have and it would be tedious and somewhat costly for something I can just be patient and wait for the new regulations to go into affect and get licensed under that with a license that is appropriate for UAVs.

Perhaps, people may ignore FAA but I don't want to be the poster boy made example out of. 

Even then, I have to weigh in how it would be commercially beneficial to me and the needs I may have. It isn't in my #1 priority, but I can see potential for it. 

Dec 2, 15 5:08 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

You didn't answer why UAV's would benefit you personally, you're going around the question with a long ass essay again.

Dec 2, 15 5:37 am  · 
 · 

archiwutm8,

Although a good question, I have them for personal use at this time, as for commercial use, I have not implemented yet. Aside from FAA and the legal / controversy surround the topic, I have to ascertain that before doing anything along this line. 

I do not know the answer that at this time. As I said, it isn't a #1 priority. I have to have a suitable UAV platform for the specific needs that benefits me to apply it commercially. 

What would I gain by using UAV commercially? Although, we had a bantering debate earlier on a rather hypothetical point., I do know how these things work but I haven't had in the building design business a practical commercialization of using UAV because it isn't something that I foresee an immediate application if it is just about collecting photos of low rise buildings/structures. 

I currently don't have much worry of the FAA despite the subject focus we spent, in reality, it is not a concern that I am worried about the FAA boogieman but I am not unfamiliar with FAA's actions in recent times and mainly pointed to it for people to pay attention with caution as I explained why we haven't seen wide adoption as of yet.

For a cinema studio doing filming work, I see it practical. For historic preservation work, it is very niche in a niche market where people already don't really pay for many of the services performed because its a service private sector doesn't value the need for until they are actually doing any historic preservation work but it has to be kind of like to a larger design project. People don't tend to pay for such services when they aren't doing any renovation, restoration, etc. 

Historic building inventory survey maybe an application for such technology but people just don't tend to pay for that and only employers would be public sector agencies because private home owners just don't give a fuck or care. Don't even connect to anything they do process wise. It's simply fits into government database work. Then you are lucky to be paid when they can easily get volunteer students to do the work every year which meets the supply needs in the state quite often.

Even then, it isn't something UAV's would be required. This is why I still have to assess its practical use for me commercially. I maybe waiting to see how these new regulations pan out, there is no extensive commitment to it for my building design application. In the software development work... who knows.

Dec 2, 15 6:09 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

So...You don't know how UAV's how and how they would benefit you at all, what the market is like, the applications that use it already and how the law works with UAVs?

I have no idea what you've been blabbering about at all at this point.

Dec 2, 15 6:13 am  · 
 · 

Richard,

Do you take Adderall?

Dec 2, 15 6:33 am  · 
 · 

If you are taking that shit, you should stop.

I have seen 2 friends destroy themselves with it.

Dec 2, 15 7:05 am  · 
 · 
midlander

archiwutm8, do you think a UAV would be suitable for holding a tape measure up against buildings? not the fancy spring loaded kind of tape measure, but just a long measuring tape with a small weight at the end. I'm asking for a friend...

Dec 2, 15 7:08 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Maybe if your friend didn't have arms or suffered from having too much money then why not?

Dec 2, 15 8:09 am  · 
 · 
midlander

Not sure about the arms. If time is indeed money, then yes, far too much. thanks!

Dec 2, 15 8:37 am  · 
 · 

The question quickly boils down to this: is technology a substitute for intelligence?

Dec 2, 15 9:01 am  · 
 · 
midlander

no, but you can buy technology. where do you go to get intelligence?

not the internet, it turns out.

Dec 2, 15 9:11 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Balkin's basement.

Dec 2, 15 9:11 am  · 
 · 

Back to the UAV idea, what somebody needs is a mechanical device to hold the other end of the tape. Preferably the smart end.

Dec 2, 15 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Cambino

Architects ARE drafters.  Your final product that the owner/contractor pays you for is a drafted construction document.   Therefore, an architecture firm sells documents and that is their product.  Yes, I understand design and a lot of upfront planning goes into this, and every architect I've ever met doesn't want to draft and only wants to design, but they lose the point of what they truly provide to the client.  A successful architect creates very high quality documents which will in turn win them more business if it makes the contractors life easier by giving quality doc's.

IF you want to build, then start a contracting side of your office, its very smart, and can make for extremely seamless and high quality projects.  I know of some firms here in St. Louis, Mo that are contracting firms with in house architects, but I would really like to see it the other way around.. Truth is, contractors make more money and require more manpower and are thus larger companies so you rarely see the architect as the bigger power.  I say go for it, be a pioneer, i know it has been done before.  Be ready to see your stress, time, and money all increase!

I am young (25) but I hope to some day start a firm in this manner.  

-From an architect turned contractor (and loving it)

Dec 2, 15 9:50 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Cambino, based on your statement you're missing out on 99% of what architects do.
Dec 2, 15 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Cambino

no_form You are proving my point.  Its not 99% design and art, like you all want it to be (why architects aren't happy as the original post says).  It's 33.33% design 33.33% show me how to build the damn thing, and 33.3% business.   Once an architect figures this out, they can run a successful architecture firm.

Dec 2, 15 10:44 am  · 
 · 
no_form
I didn't say that cambino. Nor did I imply it. And based on your statement you still don't understand.
Dec 2, 15 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Don't argue with the 25 year old expert. I mistook him for RWCB at first. 

Dec 2, 15 11:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: