Archinect
anchor

Needing help identifying the architectural style of this house -

homehunter

I'm sorry for the naive question but I am new at this and would like to research this home a bit more. Does anyone know what style this house would be considered? It was built in 1915. A big thank you in advance!!

Sep 16, 15 1:54 pm
x-jla

why are people obsessed with this question.  who cares?

Sep 16, 15 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

early 20th century bollocks.

Sep 16, 15 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

prolly some fucking realtor trying to write up some jack-off description of this piece of crap to get more commission by implying some inane historical value.  

Sep 16, 15 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

drive-aisle needs work.

Sep 16, 15 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chigurh... don't you just love it when you're right?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2323-B-Ave-NE_Cedar-Rapids_IA_52402_M70154-00561?row=2&source=web

Sep 16, 15 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

well, i can tell you this.  the crown molding is too small, and the ratio between the wainscot and ceiling height is not the golden section.  the backsplash tile in the kitchen is not accurate to the period and should be updated to reflect the correct style.  the only good choice in the flip (if this was a flip) was to keep the pink sink.

good hunting non sequitur.

Sep 16, 15 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

washed down federalist

Sep 16, 15 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

colonial revival.

Sep 16, 15 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

dumb people need to put shit in buckets order to understand shit.

Sep 16, 15 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Leanings toward Garrison Colonial but without the jetting out of the 2nd floor over the 1st it would be safer to refer to it as simply Colonial Revival Style, albeit an imperfect example.

Sep 16, 15 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

+1 Null pointer

take your style-isms elsewhere. 

Sep 16, 15 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

Gotta love those peachy fixtures.

Sweet patio.

Sep 16, 15 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^must be a bitch to have to move that table and chairs every time I need to take out the Bentley from the garage.

Sep 16, 15 9:17 pm  · 
 · 

It's Colonialish. The interior updates are inappropriate, both eras (the 1960s sinks and the 2010s tile), as is the front porch. But the scale is very nice and it has hardwood floors. Is it in a nice neighborhood?  Do you like it? That's ultimately more important. Style is a realtor catchphrase, it really doesn't matter.

Sep 16, 15 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

homehunter:

Buy this book: 

http://www.amazon.com/A-Field-Guide-American-Houses/dp/0394739698

Then you might have something to describe it. Imperfect examples are best described under basic procedures and methods used in National Register Historic Structure Survey reports and Nomination documents. 

Some buildings have hybrid styles and that can reflect remodels even 10-20 years apart from when the building is built. If there is historic buildings inventory survey done in the area in the past, it would provide some possible good information. They aren't perfect and if you have a question, hire a competent historic preservation consultant who knows the architectural styles and doing proper research on the history of the buildings.

Sep 17, 15 4:34 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

has anybody ever sued a realtor for getting the style wrong? shouldn't they be accountable for something?

Sep 17, 15 6:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Olaf, they need licenses to protect the public right?

Sep 17, 15 7:10 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

yes,to protect the buyer from buying the wrong style damnit! imagine the embarassing moments at the family barbeque when the nephew in architecure school corrects his uncle "Its not ranch style colonialism, its neo-gothic plastic,you bought the wrong house! you fool! you paid for a Ferrari but got a Fiat!".....real estate brokers protect us buyers from buying the wrong things and they have every motivation to not sale you something that is wrong! they are social justice kind of people.

Sep 17, 15 7:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

All those responsibilities after only attending a few hours of seminar from a local strip-mall kiosk?

Sep 17, 15 7:39 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

yes, if you put the time in Non you too can be a hustler of social justice! bringing affordable housing to the masses and helping integrate neighborhoods racially and this training can be achieved at your local strip mall for one low fee of $500,but if you bring a friend we will give you the Golden booklet to mastering socially justified flipping that ensures every Union worker maintains their living standards and every immigrant is treated with respect while they naturalize! Make America Great Again Realtors!

Sep 17, 15 7:45 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^that made coming into the office at 7am worth the effort. Now that I have a smile on my face, there is no way now that this washroom reno construction kick-off meeting will bore me.

Sep 17, 15 8:19 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Well, the house was built in 1915 and looks to have been well cared for and updated. The clunky front porch needs some attention and some good landscaping and fencing would help immensely. The side porch does give it some period character. Only listed for $124,000. that wouldn't buy a doghouse in some (insane) real-estate markets.

Sep 17, 15 8:23 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

yes non,as i wait 30 minutes to do a survey and the super never showed up....archinect forum is a good under the table pretend to be checking my messages kind of read in light of washroom boredom.

Sep 17, 15 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I looked at this house on google earth and the detached two-car garage opens up to an alley parallel to the front street so no need to circumnavigate the patio to get in or out.

Sep 17, 15 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Brud-G

The big question is:

How did Non find this house on a realtor website?

Sep 17, 15 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Brud, google image drag and search.

First day on the internet?

8-)

Sep 17, 15 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Brud-G

That's crazy! I tried it and the listing came up in less than 1 second.

Sep 17, 15 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

use your new powers wisely.

Sep 17, 15 10:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: