Archinect
anchor

Please help

Samsamsam

Hi,

I am by no means an architect. With that said, is anyone able to help me in identifying ANY information they can about the house in this image. The closest architectural style i've come across in my research is classical-revival but even then im finding major dissimilarities. If it helps, the things that are of interest to me in particular are the symmetry, central pillars, the wrap round porch with gazebo style corners and the above ground level construction (stairway entry)

Again im not an architect so please bare with me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Sam

Aug 20, 13 9:58 am
curtkram

all houses built between 1908 and 1940 were kit homes shipped along rail from sears.  except the ones that weren't.  some were kit homes from other companies too.  http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/

the wrap around deck was probably common in the south because it shaded the windows and you could put a porch swing out there to generate some breeze when it's crazy hot.  they didn't have a/c back then.  i would say there is a fair chance they elevated the house due to concerns with flooding.  perhaps this house is in Louisiana, or close to the gulf, maybe a river or something like that?

houses are mostly just built to live in.  they don't really need a 'story' or a 'style' to accommodate that.  however, if you contact a local library, they may have some information on that plot of land, or old photos or something that might give you more background.

Aug 20, 13 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Aug 20, 13 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

I'd call it Plantation Italianate.

But as curtkram says, it doesn't really matter what "style" it is.  most American residential architecture is Eclectic, especially if it's historic.

Aug 20, 13 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
w8d8s

I recognize that one. It's a bed & breakfast in Beaufort, SC, where I lived for a year. It's called the Cuthbert House Inn, located on Bay Street and built in 1790.

On their website, they call it a "fine Federal style" house. Really, it's a combination of several architectural languages and also the T-plan layout which was common at the time in Beaufort. 

Aug 20, 13 5:22 pm  · 
 · 

Nice job, waitdates!

Aug 20, 13 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: