Archinect
anchor

2016 M.Arch in the US: Applicants -Admissions prep post here!

yomthorke

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!

I just got into Cincinnati. Excited about their co-op program. Though they haven't specified which degree track yet (it just says Master of Architecture), I'm waiting for their funding information. Did anyone else apply there?

23 / M / India / B. Arch (5yr) / 1yr experience in a small firm

M. Arch II (2-year)

GRE: 156V /160Q / 5.0 AWA

TOEFL: 112

Schools: Taubman, GaTech, Cincinnati, NCSU, Minnesota, UNCC

IN: Cincinnati, UNCC

NO RESPONSE: GaTech, Taubman, NCSU, Minnesota

WAITLISTED: ???

Feb 25, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 

@Shanerr and @00010011 Thank you for your thoughts....that certainly puts things in perspective. 

I agree that Taubman's MS program is one of a kind, given its structure and the facilities at the department. Given that I also got to interact with the faculty (dean and professors), I feel like I have already established a connection with them, which would matter in the long run, I guess? The material systems concentration also promises to be exciting. There's a lot of potential that I see in the program.

In the case of GSAPP, it's undoubtedly a great place to be and gives a lot of exposure. Its location further adds to the repute and there's the 'NYC atmosphere' that one can take advantage of. But yes, when I think about it, the MS AAD is probably not the best way to go given its nature as an extension of the M.Arch program.

Above all, there's a huge difference in tuition between the two and Taubman is actually giving me partial aid, with the potential for more once I get there. Given the smaller class sizes at Taubman, TAs shouldn't be very hard to come by, right?

These are my thoughts at the moment. I think I'm more or less decided on Michigan for now. But I would like to hear back from Parsons/YSOA/Pratt, so that I have all my options sorted....

@international_applicant, congratulations on being on top of Columbia's applicant pool! That's amazing. 

@yomthorke, congratulations on UCincinnati! Yes, their co-op program is one-of-a-kind....! 

Great to see that we're getting good news here :) hope it continues!

Feb 25, 16 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
19cruz91

I guess as the thread progressed, along with the anxiety building up for the very much anticipated notifications of admissions, we have lost sight of the threads initial purpose- which is sharing information about applications. 

Feb 25, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
zeitg31st

Just got accepted into Tulane! 2/2 so far, both with funding.

Feb 25, 16 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

errm trying not to freak out yet, but did anyone else's u.mich financial aid link just become active? cuz mine is..

Feb 26, 16 3:05 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Any news for MIT SMarchS, GSD March II, Yale March II???

Feb 27, 16 6:02 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@yazZ when all my results are out and I will upload my decision and portfolio to the relevamt thread!

Feb 27, 16 11:41 am  · 
 · 

@international_applicant..... Yale M.Arch II results are out only by end of March.....I emailed them about it recently.... Just curious - what if you accept an offer and then something better comes along? Can we opt out of the previous one? Pardon me if this question has already been answered on this thread....

Feb 27, 16 11:55 am  · 
 · 
hope_full

Hey guys, do you know whether a college level physics class is mandatory for people entering SMarchS or GSD March II programs? I saw it mentioned but in a general section, so I am not completely sure whether it is just for the March I programs? Thanks a lot!

Feb 27, 16 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@harini all the three programs that have accepted me gave me the deadline of 15th April to anwser, so i have not faced the problem you mention. I know a person who accepted an offer from carnegie mellon last year, gave them a deposit of 700$ and then got an acceptance from berkeley. She decided to change her mind an go to the latter, so she lost the 700$ deposit

Feb 27, 16 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
jj_arch

has anyone received admit/rejection notification for Berkeley's MUD program or GSAPP's MSAUD program??

Feb 28, 16 1:38 am  · 
 · 
jj_arch

As an update from my end, I received an interview request from Parsons for their Design and Urban Ecologies program  

Feb 28, 16 1:39 am  · 
 · 
meomeo91

@international_applicant    I guess that's what is going to happen to me. Have to pay a deposit of 2K by 9th March to do not lose the opportunity with SCI Arc and the 22K scholarship....After that I'll wait to hear from the other institutions, with the risk of losing my deposit....It's ridiculous but seems to be the only way...

Feb 28, 16 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

OMG IN AT UMICH!

Feb 29, 16 11:02 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Good job ebinehita! Which program?

Feb 29, 16 11:08 am  · 
 · 

@ebinehita.....congratulations! We'll probably see each other there :)

Feb 29, 16 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

@international_applicant Thanks! It's the M.Arch 1 (3-year) program.

@Harini Yess! So excited!

Feb 29, 16 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Archigrad21

Hi, I was also  just accepted into UMich and Cincinnati last week for M.Arch (2 year). Anyone else receive funding for UMich

Feb 29, 16 11:34 am  · 
 · 
RazanALT

Yay! In at U of Mich M.Arch (3.5 year). Came with: 

$15,000 to be distributed over three years, ($ 5,000 / academic year) contingent upon maintenance of a 3.3 GPA.

Feb 29, 16 11:57 am  · 
 · 

I got into Umich March 2 year program with 30,000 funding distributed among the two years. SOOOO exited!

So far I've been notified acceptance from UPenn the MEBD. Still waiting from the others! 

Good luck to all!

Is anyone going to the UMich open house?

Feb 29, 16 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
RazanALT

I'm thinking about going to the preview weekend but it's at the same time as GA Tech's open house. :/ Hmmmm.....

Feb 29, 16 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
glasspyramid

Accepted to Cornell M arch II with 19000 scholarship! very excited, still waiting for GSD and YSOA

Feb 29, 16 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
alexanderpault

Just found out today about Cornell after doing a video interview about a month ago. The suspense was killing me before I got my first answer from RISD, but now all weight is lifted. Still waiting on an answer from Pratt, but it hardly matters now. Congrats to everyone!

24 / M / America / B.Des Architecture (4 year) / 1 year work experience

GRE: 155V, 155Q, 4.0 AWA

M.Arch I

Schools: Cornell, Pratt, RISD

IN: Cornell (as of today), RISD (as of 2/11/16)

Feb 29, 16 9:53 pm  · 
 · 

Congratulations to all of you :)

Feb 29, 16 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

omg, I just got the acceptance letter from Cornell!!!!!!!! yay

with scholarship in the amount of $14000 + stipend $13663 :)

I applied for M.Arch1 (3.5yrs) program..(and I'm an international student)

I'm still waiting for GSD, YSOA, Upenn, and MIT :D

Good luck for everyone!!!!

Mar 1, 16 12:27 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

I checked the grad cafe forum and saw that there are several people that got acceptance emails from MIT. They failed to mention which program. If anyone got accepted at SMArchS in Architectural Design please update here. A A A A A!!! This waiting is killing me

Mar 1, 16 4:50 am  · 
 · 
matdez6

Congrats everyone! The waiting is killing me too but just a little quick question. If others have started recieving emails about notifications of admissions and i still havent, would that mean there is still a chance of being accepted?, i do t know if they send a few emails first or how does it works.

Thanks,

Mar 1, 16 9:12 am  · 
 · 
AstridCam

I think sometimes they send a few informal emails to notify some applicants, for one reason or another (maybe they are they preferred candidates, maybe they are specially impressive, etc) but that does not mean they won't officially notify others. There is still plenty of time, so the fact that someone hasn't been notified doesn't mean anything yet. In any case, even for rejections, they take the time to notify the applicant.

Patience, that's all I guess..

Mar 1, 16 11:17 am  · 
 · 
RazanALT

Admissions results get released in waves. For example, MIT is releasing 'early acceptances' at the moment, meaning those are their most attractive applicants. Then next week or the following week they will release regular acceptances as well as rejections / waitlists. Obviously an early acceptance is the best case scenario but don't lose hope just yet! We've still got a couple weeks to go! Good luck!! O_O

Mar 1, 16 11:47 am  · 
 · 

@glasspyramid Congrats on Cornell MArch II admission! Did you hear from them via email? I just checked on my application but nothing is updated. Patience patience patience...

Mar 1, 16 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

@alexanderpault @asdmin Did you guys get notified by mail or emails?

Mar 1, 16 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

Has anyone received word on funding for UCLA? 

Mar 1, 16 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Watts I got an email from UCLA asking me an additional official transcript via postage and told me they will send me the official decision letter accompanied by the financial offer later this week

Mar 1, 16 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
zeitg31st

I was just waitlisted for the MSAAD program at GSAPP. Does anyone know if they ever disclose what position on the waitlist someone is on? It's my dream school and I really want to go, but I've received incredible offers from other schools and I have to make a decision by April 15th. Also, do they ever give funding to students off of the waitlist?

Mar 1, 16 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@zeitg31st 90% both me and my girlfriend are not going to MS.AAD. We where both accepted. So 2 open spots for you!

Mar 1, 16 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

I personally wouldn't go into crippling debt for a dream school. This profession doesn't pay out enough.  Vote for Bernie?  http://www.npr.org/2016/03/01/468272843/strategies-for-when-youre-starting-out-saddled-with-student-debt

Mar 1, 16 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
intcon

@international_applicant  I received from the UCLA AUD admissions office an email  "We are recommending to the Graduate Division that you be admitted to the ....We have submitted our recommendation for your admissions to the Graduate Admissions Office and are awaiting their decision.  You will receive an official email notification from them within a few weeks regarding their decision. " .Did you receive something like this? Or do you have an official decision status from them? :)

Mar 1, 16 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@intcon that is what i received. But they said they need an extra transcript

Mar 1, 16 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
lourou
Just heard back from UMD with a small scholarship. First school I heard back from, hoping for more responses soon!!
Mar 1, 16 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
intcon

@international_applicant fine!! I see :)

@lourou Congratulations!!

Mar 1, 16 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

@wang tung I first checked through my online application. There was a the decision letter, then I received email with the scholarship offer. :)

Mar 1, 16 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
manojna acharya

Hi, 

I'm an international applicant. Like a few of you, I heard from UCLA too with the same mail stating that I have been recommended for the MARK MACK studio. Anyone else applied to the same studio?

Anyone heard from Berkeley, GSD or MIT as of March 1st? 

Mar 1, 16 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

I got into UCLA for M.Arch 1 and received same email/no funding info yet.  No word from Berkeley, last school that I'm waiting to hear from. 

Mar 1, 16 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
rengrsl

I remember reading that GSAPP sends results on the first Friday of March... Do you guys think that's going to happen this year? I haven't heard from any school yet and this wait is killing me!

Mar 1, 16 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

Have anyone heard anything from MIT, YSOA, Upenn,and GSD...??

I received the acceptance letter from Cornell yesterday, but still waiting for those schools...

Mar 1, 16 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
chendon7

@alexanderpault 

Congrats on Cornell! Did you submit your interview today? I was anxious my performance might take away from my application so I didn't submit as the email said it was "entirely optional"--I just logged on in a panic and submitted it.

@asdmin

Congrats on the hefty financial package! Do you mind sharing where on the online app page did you see the decision? I can't seem to find it at all.

Mar 1, 16 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
chendon7

Longtime lurker, first time poster 

29 / M / Canadian / BA Economics and Sociology

M.Arch 1

GRE: 161V /157Q / 5.0 AWA

Schools: Cornell, Princeton, Columbia, Harvard, Syracuse, USC, UBC, University of Toronto

Have yet to receive a response! The anxiety mounts. 

Mar 1, 16 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

@chendon7    There was nothing before, but two buttons suddently appeared on March 1st on the online application. There was one button called "Decision Letter(?)" on the online application page above the application fee receipt information. Then, there was another button called "Complete Decision Letter" next to the other button!! ... Then I received e-mail notification metioning about the scholarship and T.A ship. I heard that not receving the letter doesn't mean you're not accepted. So... let's wait.... ugh.....it's insane...lol

Good luck!!!

Mar 1, 16 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
chendon7

Thanks @asdmin! I'll keep waiting lol

Mar 1, 16 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
rengrsl

Columbia sent out decisions for MSAUD...feels like M.Arch results will be out soon maybe...

Mar 2, 16 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: