Archinect
anchor

2016 M.Arch in the US: Applicants -Admissions prep post here!

zeitg31st

Anyone here applying to Virginia Tech? Have you heard anything yet? It looks like they started sending around March 2 last year.

Mar 4, 16 11:41 am  · 
 · 
RazanALT

@zeitg31st I got an email from VA Tech this morning saying the department accepted me but the school sent back asking for an official transcript. So, taking care of that now and counting that as an Admit! I have no further info and the web portal hasn't updated.

Mar 4, 16 11:48 am  · 
 · 
zeitg31st

@RazanALT  Congrats! Did you apply for the Blacksburg campus or Alexandria?

Mar 4, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
hope_full

@RazanALT Congrats! I am just about to graduate from VTech. I strongly recommend Blacksburg campus! 

Mar 4, 16 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
RazanALT

Thanks guys! I'm psyched because this one is In-State tuition for me!!

I applied for the 3.5 year program so I have to start at Blacksburg. I will probably apply to transfer to Alexandria for the last year or 2, since I currently live about 15 minutes from the Alexandria campus. 

@hope_full I'm glad to hear you recommend it! What's the program like? Any tips or must-take classes / professors?!

My younger sister just got accepted there for undergrad so we'll be visiting in mid-April.

Mar 4, 16 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
hope_full

@yazZ

I like to think that I can be pretty objective about the quality of architectural education at VTech…so, I’m gonna give you the good and the bad. First, I recommend Blacksburg for the sole reason that academically it is much more rigorous. You can easily observe the quality difference between the projects coming from the WAAC and from Blacksburg. In Bburg you get the studio atmosphere and ambition…while at the WAAC are mostly people who prefer to stick to studio hours and then go work for some third-grade architecture firm in DC. Of course, Blacksburg as a location is a complete nightmare and that’s the reason we rarely get lectures from internationally renowned architects. Foundation studies is what VTech is especially good at and faculty’s enthusiasm is palpable when teaching first years (MArch or BArch). Overall, BArch is stronger that MArch. However, the Director of WAAC (the same one since its creation) just got fired several months ago and we’re kind of expecting things to really take a more innovative open-minded direction in Alexandria (no guarantee though). I’ll be happy to answer specific questions about professors and classes if you decide to go there. Best of luck with the applications!

I apologize if I bored everybody else here:)

Mar 4, 16 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
lourou
Accepted to WUSTL! Anyone else apply there and hear from them?
Mar 4, 16 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
AstridCam

Me too! WUSTL! :) yayyyy!!!!

Mar 4, 16 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
lourou
@astridcam planning on going to their open house? Sounds like it could be fun, and their offer for air fare and accommodations is intiscing
Mar 4, 16 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
dks16

Rejected from M.arch 1 GSD, checked website update.

Mar 4, 16 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

damn rejection from GSD ughhh

Mar 4, 16 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
jhcy

@dks16@Ebinehita

Did you guys get emails??

Mar 4, 16 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
dks16

@jhcy checked website, no email. that brutalist building making them brutal

Mar 4, 16 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
ncsy

That is a terse rejection letter...

Mar 4, 16 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
dks16

@shiyanchen2911 cannot agree more. i sound and feel bitter now

Mar 4, 16 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

^lmao

Yeah checked website.

Mar 4, 16 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
meomeo91

GSD M Arch II Accepted :)

Mar 4, 16 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
ArchInspired

Also rejected. No email. 

Mar 4, 16 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
jhcy

I checked the website...I don't have any changes

Mar 4, 16 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Katzenmaske

Got in Harvard with $10000!

Mar 4, 16 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

omg!!!! literally jumped for joy in at GSD for MLA AP!!!!@#!@!

Mar 4, 16 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
gforce03

For some reason I'm actually glad that GSD rejected...really anxious about Cornell and Yale MArchII now...

Mar 4, 16 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
chendon7

Rejected from GSD. Definitely a hard dose of reality :( 

Mar 4, 16 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

I checked my GSD online application status but it still says "submitted". Did u guys received email from GSD? how do u know?????

Mar 4, 16 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
rengrsl

@asdmin same for me! I think that "submitted " is going to change any second

Mar 4, 16 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

no email just a status change on the website!

Mar 4, 16 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

@asdmin  I received a call from the department, saying I was a highly ranked candidate with a 20k scholarship :)

Mar 4, 16 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
matdez6

rejected for gsd m.arch II :(

Mar 4, 16 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

....I applied for both M.Arch1 and MLA in GSD, and I got rejected from M.Arch1 and I got the acceptance phone call from MLA1 professor.......ugh...... but still.....painful.....

I already received the acceptance from Cornell and Upenn with $$

GSD MLA1 also offers me $10,000 (each year) but....

I'm so confused...

Still waiting for YSOA... which is my dream school.

Mar 4, 16 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

Hey @asdmin also waiting for Yale (also top choice) Did you get financial aid notification for peen? Cuz I didnt get anything yet... Congrats on MLA at GSD though, it's a big achievement!

Mar 4, 16 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

*UPenn

Mar 4, 16 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

4/4 so far! GSD MArch II acceptance here too!!! No funding though. Tough call

Mar 4, 16 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
gforce03

@international_applicant congrats! Did you happen to apply to Cornell MArchII as well out of your 4 choices? if so, did you hear back from them yet?

Mar 4, 16 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
intcon

GSD Master II acceptance!! :) $20000 funding!! really happy! 

Mar 4, 16 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
matdez6

yeah i still haven't heard back from Cornell M.Arch II

Mar 4, 16 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
gforce03

@matdez6...guess is another weekend of waiting for us......

Mar 4, 16 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
RazanALT

Congrats to everyone who got in to the GSD. I didn't apply there but am waiting anxiously to hear from MIT, Yale & Princeton. :/ Looks like another agonizing week of refreshing those pages! Good luck to everyone!

Mar 4, 16 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@ferdinand05 I did not apply to Cornell

Mar 4, 16 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

@Ebinehita  nope, $$ is for Cornell lol, and Upenn emailed me the scholarship offer (if applicable) will be posted online by 14th. 

I honestly really haven't thought about GSD MLA1 program....just applied because GSD was my second dream school...yeah sounds crazy I know...lol .. GSD results are so bitter sweet.

I hope we can meet each other at Yale :)

Let's post here if YSOA sends some news.

Congrats everyone and let's wait one more week together!!!!!!!!!!! we're not alone!!!!! lol

Mar 4, 16 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
rengrsl

Is anyone still waiting from GSD?? my application status is still 'submitted' 

Mar 4, 16 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
AstridCam

I got accepted at Harvard M.Arch II with 18k funding. I am beyond happy. 

Funny because yesterday I got a rejection from UVA. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Guess Boston is gonna be!

Mar 4, 16 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
BlueSnaily

Rejected by GSD MArch1 :(

But got admitted to Cornell and UPenn MArch1 both with scholarship!! Super excited!!!

22/M/International but studying in the US/ 4-yr Bachelor of Design Degree

Applying to M.Arch I

GPA: 3.89/4.0

GRE: Verbal 149 / Quantitative 170 / AW 5.0

Btw, I am really hesitating to choose between Cornell and Upenn, could anyone offer me any suggestion or advice? Thanks a lot.

Mar 5, 16 6:58 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@AstridCam congrats! We may see each other there!!!

Any thoughts on when Yale MArch II and MIT SMarchS are going to be out?

Mar 5, 16 7:24 am  · 
 · 

Congratulations to everyone :) @international_applicant, Yale says M.Arch II should be out in "a couple of weeks" and this was as of last week of February. So I don't know when exactly!

Mar 5, 16 7:42 am  · 
 · 
asdmin

This waiting for YALE is killing me......................

Why do they still say nothing............ugh!!!!!

Current admitted schools are GSD with $ (MLA1) / Cornell with $$ (M.Arch1) / Upenn (M.Arch1).....

YALEEEEEEEEEEE Plzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!! 

Mar 5, 16 9:49 am  · 
 · 
AstridCam

@international_applicant I do hope to see you there! I didn't give it much thought before but now I've realized it would be awesome if I knew someone already! 

Is anybody planning to go to the Open House? Let me know!!

COngratulations to all of you guys. Best of luck with your decisions, seems like everyone here has to make some difficult choices between awesome schools.

Mar 5, 16 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@astridcam both me and my girlfriend are accepted but we really doubt though we will choose GSD as we did not get any kind of funding. Still waiting for MIT and Yale to see their financial aid packages, otherwise I think it is Berkeley for us.

Mar 5, 16 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
AstridCam

@international_applicant Oh I see, I know, I feel Harvard hasn't been as generous as other schools. I suppose they don't need to, with so many people wanting to go there. Either way, if you and your girlfriend get to go to Berkeley that's also a great option. Plus the weather there is much much nicer. Congrats to you both!!! 

Mar 5, 16 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Exactly my thoughts. Not so generous, do not have to be though. Competition is fierce! I guess GSD was a long shot financially for us

Mar 5, 16 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
ncsy

@BlueSnaily

Same here! I don't know much for now, but I have a really good feeling about Cornell. People said good things about it in previous threads. I'll go to the Open House to confirm. I heard that Penn has a strong focus on digital fabrication and many graduates even go work in the film industry doing CGI and stuff, which is cool but not the thing I'm most interested in. 

Mar 5, 16 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: