Archinect
anchor

2016 M.Arch in the US: Applicants -Admissions prep post here!

ArchInspired

@Shanerr Are you international by any chance? I've also applied to MIT, but for their M.Arch I program, and am wondering if the interview is more like language assessment or real interview... I'm only asking because I heard that GSD has been giving out interviews to international students this week. Thanks and good luck!

Feb 19, 16 10:12 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Guys are both of you internationals? And if yes what was your toefl score?

Feb 19, 16 10:19 am  · 
 · 
ArchInspired

^ yes, I got 118 on toefl. I'm hoping that it's the only reason why I didn't get an interview from gsd haha not because of my lack of talent :-P

Feb 19, 16 11:07 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

On the same boat here @Archinspired! Got a 115 at toefl so hopefully they know we can communicate

Feb 19, 16 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

Wait what?! GSD has been interviewing people?

My toefl requirement was waived as I had a professor write me a letter as evidence of english proficiency. I took the exam in 2011 and got a 114 so I didn't want to have to do it again. 

Anyone who's done the interview care to share what it was like?

Feb 19, 16 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

@international_applicant  I got the email yesterday, but it only secures an interview, not necessarily an acceptance.

@ArchInspired I am not international, so maybe they're contacting locals first?

Feb 19, 16 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@shane maybe you are right. In my eyes it seems that we did not make the cut. What is the specialization that you chose? I mean i applied for the architectural design. Maybe different sectors send their emails at a different point

Feb 19, 16 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Shanerr

@international_applicant I applied for the HTC program, so it might be different timing. The header says "Congratulations from MIT," so I assume the interview is a screening process 

Feb 19, 16 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

As I was told during my Berkeley interview the process was what you call screening. He told me that I am.unofficially accepted and that I would have to wait for the official results till the end of the month. As for your HTC application, it is a small relief for me as, if I am not mistaken l, you did not upload a portfolio during your application. I suppose it takes some time to review all those portfolios. Anyway congratulations on your acceptance!!!

Feb 19, 16 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
rengrsl

I thought they usually did not do interviews, especially for internationals. 

Feb 19, 16 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
pv1988

27  / F / International /  B.Arch degree 5 years from Mumbai University 

Applying to M.Arch I advanced placement &/or M.Arch II (basically professional degree)

GPA: 3.35/4.0

TOEFL:112

GRE: V 151 / Q 159/ 4.0 awa

3 yrs work experience in India

4 LORs: 1 from design thesis supervisor, 1 from college principal (dean) 1 from former professor and 1 from former employer

Schools that I applied: GSD, Yale, Rice, UTSOA, TAMU, Univ of houston

Is GSD really sendin out interview emails?

Feb 19, 16 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
pv1988

nvmd got my answer :)

Feb 19, 16 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

nvmd got my answer :)

@parimala did you get an interview?

Feb 19, 16 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
pv1988

@Ebinehita , no no, I meant I read recent most replies. There was a time lag before my post came through.

Feb 20, 16 12:56 am  · 
 · 
pv1988

gsd gave out automated response to my email saying, 'decisions come out early march'

Feb 20, 16 12:58 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

2/2 till now for me guys! Got an email from UCLA/Thom Mayne Suprastudio that I am accepted. 4 to go

Feb 21, 16 8:09 am  · 
 · 
gradschoolaspirant

I got my first rejection from Berkeley. Guess you can't win 'em all. :/

USC has offered me a half-ride but I've decided to go to Cornell. Would love to connect via e-mail with anyone else going there. Please PM me.

Feb 21, 16 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

@ gradschool  did you see the email from Cornell extending the deadline to April 15th?   

Feb 21, 16 10:38 am  · 
 · 
gradschoolaspirant

@yazZ I applied to MCP

@Dangermouse I did but since I only applied to 4 places and have heard from them all, I've made my choice already.

Feb 21, 16 11:02 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Thank you @yazz!!! How did you know I am Greek!? :)

Feb 21, 16 11:15 am  · 
 · 
gradschoolaspirant

@international_applicant congratulations! any word on scholarships?

Feb 21, 16 11:32 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Thank you! Both universities told me that I will get their financial offer when the official response from the graduate comittee is out (in a few weeks as they told me)

Feb 21, 16 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Congratulations, @Pitsi Syracuse has a great program, as far as i know....and @international_applicant!! Congratulations to you too :) Suprastudio is a one year program, right? And @gradschoolaspirant, nice to see that you've decided on Cornell! Sounds great!

Feb 21, 16 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Yes Harini! It is a one year program. I wait for the other 4 universities in order to choose where to go. As I am Greek though, and financial european recession has damaged my family's income I would probably go where the money is. Still waiting the financial offers from Berkeley and UCLA.

Feb 21, 16 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

Hi guys,

I'm wondering...that if I didn't get any interview request from GSD...

it means...there's no hope...? lol.....so depressed...T.T

I'm an Asian international student (BFA) and applied M.,Arch1...

And my toefl score is 104..

Please let me know what the interview questions were ..!!

Feb 21, 16 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
rengrsl

Did anybody else hear from Berkeley yet?

Feb 21, 16 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
rengrsl

@J.Jane honestly I don't think that not getting an interview means that we are not accepted. They might do interviews only to who they are unsure of. We might have nailed it right away without the need to be interviewed! Think positive :) 

Feb 21, 16 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

@flaviaderasmo@me.com   yeah... your comment makes me feel alot better lol ..

Good luck to everybody....T_T

Feb 21, 16 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
jj_arch

I havent heard from Berkeley as yet...have applied to MUD Program...any1 got any info regarding this??

Feb 22, 16 12:07 am  · 
 · 
jj_arch

And yes, trying hard to stay sane and positive..Good luck to every1 out there :)

Feb 22, 16 12:10 am  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

Does anyone know if GSD sent those interview requests to M.Arch I applicants or to some other program?

Feb 22, 16 12:16 am  · 
 · 
ArchInspired

^ All sorts of programs really. I've heard this from people applying to march1/mla1(both w/ and w/o ap), mdes, maud, etc. Someone shared part of the email which says "The purpose of the conversation is to further discuss your application and to increase our understanding of your communication skills, as some of your TOEFL scores were below our preferred score." So I think there is nothing to be worried if you've waived the TOEFL exam, or got 26+ in all sections. I hope this helps. 

Feb 22, 16 1:14 am  · 
 · 
Ebinehita

^ Ahh I see. That clears things up. Thanks! :)

Feb 22, 16 1:54 am  · 
 · 
asdmin

oh...ok...what if my toefl score is 104, which is the preferred score... but listening section is 23... (28/23/27/26)... and I didn't get any interview request. ..lol yeah i know, i'm being crazy about this....lol lolllol hmm...but i received BFA in United States tho... I'm so confused these days...

Feb 22, 16 4:53 am  · 
 · 
Boeing777

@international_applicant  anywhere we can see your portfolio? Thanks!

Feb 22, 16 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

It is not uploaded somewhere. Still it is not one portfolio. There are 6 different versions of it to better match the mb, pages and theme of each program. I can send it to you as a whole when all the admission process is finished

Feb 22, 16 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
hope_full

This wait is excruciating...Maybe I can sue for the emotional distress...this is the US, right?:D

Feb 22, 16 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
RazanALT

Just got notified via e-mail that I've been accepted to GA Tech!! No financial details yet.  Anyone else apply there? Good luck to all!!

28 / F / US / B.S. in IT & M.S in Information Systems at George Mason University

Applied to M.ARCH 3.5 Yr programs

GRE 161 Verbal / 152 Quantitative / 4.5

GPA 3.47/4.00

Schools Applied to: MIT, Yale, Princeton, University of Michigan, GA Tech, VA Tech

Got In: GA Tech

Rejected:

Waitlist:

$$: TBD

Feb 22, 16 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
ccarry

I Think UT Austin is sending out emails today. Just received some good news! Good luck everyone! 

Feb 22, 16 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
jimtennis

YEAH, same here, got accepted by UT Austin March 1

Feb 22, 16 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
zeitg31st

Just got accepted into Kansas this morning! I was worried if I could get in anywhere with my low GPA. Now waiting on Tulane, VT, Pratt and GSAPP

Feb 22, 16 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Great news guys! Congrats! Seems that emails are on fire right now :)

Feb 22, 16 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
asdmin

If anyone receive the acceptance mail from MIT or YALE...

please let me know!! :)

Feb 22, 16 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
Sameness

In previous years, I saw that a good number of (accepted) applicants to the Princeton architecture program were interviewed, under Zaera-Polo's tenure as Dean. Do you guys know if they are still doing interviews or if not getting an interview is a nail in the coffin? 

My fingers are still crossed...

Feb 22, 16 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
jj_arch

@ccarry - which program did u apply to in UT Austin??

I have applied to M.Arch 2 (Urban design) and havent received any mail ...the online portal still shows 'in review'... 

Feb 23, 16 12:52 am  · 
 · 
pv1988

got a reject from UTSOA. (applied to M.arch I with request for advanced placement). darn!

has anybody ever heard of cases where one has been rejected from UTSOA but been accepted to gsd/yale/rice/ etc?

Feb 23, 16 1:59 am  · 
 · 
rengrsl

Do you guys know usually when Sci-Arc, Pratt and Parsons respond?

Feb 23, 16 2:08 am  · 
 · 
prasidha

@pv1988

Same here. I also denied admission. I hope it's because there were so many application to UTSOA. Maybe because it is one of the best architecture school in US with the lowest tuition. I hope we can still get through the admission at the other schools (I also apply to GSD, Yale, and Rice).

Feb 23, 16 2:22 am  · 
 · 
jj_arch

@FlaviaBB - Admission decisions for Pratt and Parsons comes out around Mid march ..based on previous years timeline..

Feb 23, 16 2:25 am  · 
 · 
Sameness

@FlaviaBB

SCI-arc has already started contacting admits, I received a call this morning. However, since the Dean seems to personally call many (most?) of the admitted students (as evidenced by recent years on gradcafe), it's a slow trickle as opposed to one fell swoop of emails. 

Feb 23, 16 3:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: