Archinect
anchor

Not quite adaptive re-use...

kazeshka

I am writing an article about instances where beloved features of buildings or structures have been preserved during demolition and then re-purposed or reintegrated into the local community as art or artifact, memorial or tribute.

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on interesting examples of this across the globe?

Please note, this is not exactly adaptive re-use but it's not far away from the concept. I'm thinking more along the lines of when, for example, Olympic Rings have been re-purposed as benches or a playground in the local community but hopefully you all may come up with some far more interesting examples than that!

Please help and a huge thank you in advance.

Apr 2, 15 2:42 pm
Carrera

Can’t point to anything significant, but in our community they recently tore down 90% of the schools….there were outcry’s but they took elements (mostly carved stone) off the old and slapped them onto the new as consolation prizes with no plaque or anything to explain where they came from – think the practice is irreverent.

Apr 2, 15 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if i understand what you're asking, the liberty bell would be significant.  it's used as a symbol rather than something more interactive like a bench though.

a 5' circle on the stage of the grand ole opry has a story behind it.

Apr 2, 15 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

When the Germans rebuilt the Frauenkirche in Dresden they used stones and artifacts recovered from the rubble left behind from the Allied fire bombing air raids when they rebuilt the church. Rebuilding began under the East German government and was completed after reunification in 1994. A number of US and British aircrew members reported being ashamed and disgusted at being ordered to carry out the senseless raid.

Apr 2, 15 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Hiroshima.

Apr 2, 15 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

In Indianapolis, People for Urban Progress has salvaged Bush Stadium seats for extra seating at bus stops, seats along a new cultural trail and diverted nearly 13 acres of teflon-coated fiberglass from RCA Dome for a variety of projects.

Apr 4, 15 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: