Archinect
anchor

Fresh Grad---frustrated.

alvin2003

Just got my bachelor in Interior design and looking for a job right now.

but i have no idea what kind of job is right for me, I perfer architecture/interior architecture

instead of  fully interior design.

what firms would you guys suggest?

Jul 6, 11 5:54 am
trace™

I'd suggest:

1.  First get hired

2.  Make sure they are going to pay you

In all seriousness, in this economy, you can't be too choosy.  Also, we don't know what you like/where you live/what type of work you want to be doing/etc., etc.

Jul 6, 11 8:26 am  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

My frustration is deciding if I can afford to eat lunch AND dinner.....

Jul 6, 11 11:29 am  · 
 · 

I'd job hunt by where you want to live and what kind of opportunities that place has for you to socialize, grow and be healthy.

Boston for those reasons might be better than say Gunnison, Colorado or Potsdam, New York.

Jul 6, 11 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Hmm, I'd be cautious about that unless you are 100% sure and have lived there in the past. I did not care for Boston, thought I'd love LA and hated it, now Colorado is about 'ok'.

Nowhere is perfect.  Too many factors to really give that advice, though.

Jul 6, 11 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

Change out Boston with any other larger city, metro area or more affluent region. You're not going to be able to take Revit classes and work with a diverse pool of clients in B.F.E, U.S.A.. And if you live in an area without mass transportation, you're just waiting to eventually get a D.U.I..

Jul 6, 11 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

interiors - best bet is with larger firms with interiors depts and small to mid-size offices that specialize in anything other than residential (i.e. commercial, healthcare, hospitality, etc...).

good luck!

Jul 6, 11 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
l0sts0ul

Not to sound mean or anything... WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

Its a dog eat dog industry and you will be lucky to claw yourself into any firm let alone picking and choosing. Be prepared to be chewed up and spitted out. Bitching and complaining online and hiding behind a keyboard all day won't result in zilch! Go out and prove yourself, and most importantly BE PROACTIVE! 

Jul 6, 11 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

PROACTIVE....SOUNDS LIKE A PHARMACUTICAL....TAKE A COUPLE AND THEY WILL MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER....BUT i DON'T WANT TO TELL YOU ABOUT THE SIDE EFFECTS!

Jul 6, 11 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I was looking at this and thinking....hum shouldn't there be more ventilation at the bottom for air circulation. My recollection of hanging out in sheep sheds as a kid is that they are creating alot of manure and well be nice to let it air out a bit.  Not that I don't like the design. I'm just asking myself how fricking much do these people actually know about sheep.  Oh ya I grew up in the Sheep Capital of America....but that doesn't count for much if your from Aussie land or New Zeland.

Jul 6, 11 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

oops now I'm talking sheep shit to wrong audiance....lol...

Jul 6, 11 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

JJR what is this socialization you speak of? 

But seriously the the T stops at midnight (unless that changed since 09) so I guess he needs to get paid enough to save up for that DWI lawyer

Jul 6, 11 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

Network and and apply to anything that fancies you. It's hard out here. I've been out of college 2 years and still haven't found an arch job. Times are hard :(

Jul 7, 11 8:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: