Archinect
anchor

Just a little poll

Carrera

Classic yet hypothetical situation – Architect is doing a house, selects the wall paint colors with the owner with a fan deck, painter paints the bedroom, owner shows up and declares “Oh that’s too dark, that’s not it”. Painter calls contractor, contractor calls architect, architect drives 20 miles to meet the owner with fan deck in tow, meets owner in the bedroom, holds the sample to wall and declares “perfect match, this is the color you selected”, owner says, “don’t care, it’s not right, needs to be repainted”.

Checking on current thinking and how many bedrooms you’ve paid to have repainted.

Just for fun.

Mar 5, 15 7:36 pm

Zero.

Mar 5, 15 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

That goes on the client's bill. He has every right to change his mind, and has every right to pay for it to be repainted the way he wants it.

Mar 5, 15 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Agreed.  Client signed off on it.  I suck at selecting colors from a swatch.  I always end up with safety orange or school bus yellow.  I painted a room 4 different times before I finally found the red I wanted for my son's room.

Mar 5, 15 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I never mess with that. I tell people I am an architect, here are your choices - white, black, concrete, wood, glass, stone...... zero

Mar 5, 15 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
What the client is saying is this; it looked good on the fan deck, but as an entire room, well, you should've advised me how bad a decision I was making.
Mar 5, 15 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

This is why owners hire interior designers- they deal with this shit...

Mar 5, 15 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

To build on beta's point, in future you will want to explain to (inexperienced) clients the difficulty of making final color selections / approvals solely from a small color sample and make arrangements to view large test panels on-site before the whole room / house is painted. 

Mar 5, 15 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

next time avoid hassle:

then agree on the color :)

Mar 6, 15 5:10 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I've repainted at least 3 rooms in which the wife changed her mind after the room was partially or fully painted

Mar 6, 15 9:10 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

another reason I am happy I do not work on residential projects.

I remember an on-going argument I had with school colleagues many years ago on colour and I am rather happy my office has int-designers on hand to deal with those. Personally, I could not care less about the paint colour of a wall but the tint of an aluminum panel or darkness of a wood veneer is another story since those are harder to change / replace on a whim.

The only colours I care about are the ones I apply to my canvases.

Mar 6, 15 9:37 am  · 
 · 

next time avoid hassle:

But each one makes the other ones look different ...

Mar 6, 15 9:43 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I would never paint a kitchen red or yellow, much less "beige"

Mar 6, 15 9:58 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

carrera, you know better than that. The only bedroom you pay to repaint is your own. 

Mar 6, 15 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

Very sharp and challenging.

Mar 6, 15 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Shuellmi, are we married?

Mar 6, 15 11:48 am  · 
 · 
proto

mockups

mockups

mockups

Mar 6, 15 11:57 am  · 
 · 
citizen

"Mrs. Blandings Chooses Paint Colors."   It's two minutes.  Make sure to watch the last 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZwOGVWqHAw

Mar 6, 15 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

^ Exactly.

Mar 6, 15 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
green man

I have always been surprised to see how dwellers can be undecided.Fortunately for them,we are always there for them,even when they are specially annoying.Definitely zero.For the moment i don't really care,appart from in my computer.

Mar 6, 15 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

That Blanding’s thing is priceless, guess I should have just posted that and been done with it.

Know a number of builders that don't use architects or decorators and they say they repaint at their expense all the time, but are quick to add that they know it’s coming and price it in at the start – guess they all saw the movie:)

Reveal – I have repainted a number of times for the Mrs. Blandings’ but never happened on non-residential – the way I handled it - I jettisoned the residential.

That was fun, thanks.

Mar 6, 15 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: