Archinect
anchor

If architects wear black, why is so much Modern architecture white?

vado retro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99phlP_e2Rw

Oct 3, 14 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Pink?!?!? Oh, my pink raincoat, yes. I also own a bright school bus yellow raincoat. When it's grey out I want to be a bright counterpoint.
Oct 3, 14 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

no famous blue raincoat?

Oct 3, 14 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I once saw the Queen and she was dressed all in pink. I remember it not because it was the queen but because the bubble-gum pink outfit stood out superbly against the brutalist concrete arts centre behind as she exited the motorcade.

Oct 3, 14 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Volunteer,

The green you are seeing most likely isn't mold so much as it is algae and moss and mildew. Mold growth usually isn't the case on the exterior faces although mold development is possible but it is usually in the walls itself not the exterior faces.

Just so you know. Due to moss, mildew and algae and other bio decay, we get alot of the green. This is why green is a popular color because you don't see the moss/mildew and algae as much.

I like in the same basic climate environment.

Oct 3, 14 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

There are bigger issues than wardrobe, in the realm of architecture. I will reiterate what I mentioned in a similar topic. " Get the job, first, then worry about the wardrobe".

Oct 7, 14 11:11 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Chris, so would I go naked to an interview?

...Or would I still actually need to worry about my choice of wardrobe before getting the job

Oct 7, 14 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

i remember scouting firms for attire, to 'dress to match' at interviews.

Oct 7, 14 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

maybe it would be also good to "match office to the way you dress" than just the other way around (should one have the luxury of choice). That way you'll be sure you won't feel out of your water afterwards. Some people might just go nuts over seeing naked toes all day ;o)

Oct 7, 14 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

Bottom line: Dress in accordance with standard office attire such as for men, dress shirt, khakis or dress pants, a tie (a zip up tie or a real tie but I would be careful about clip-on ties but it can still be done well), and then business jacket for senior associate level or higher position or otherwise a position of authority. The day to day maybe business casual but for interviews dress business formal or business informal. Look at how the principals dress. Don't outdress the principals in their presentation format as that is what they will likely wear during the interview but find some level between the day to day dressing attire of your colleagues if you are chosen to be hired and what the principals would be unless everyone wears suit and tie in the office. Visit the office, have you not? Visit their website. If they have photos of their employees, staff, and principals then use that as a gauge of how to dress for an interview. Find something you are comfortable with that looks good on you that is compatible and appropriate and not very out of place with the office. 

Its a little give and take. You don't go after the same dress shirt and same business jacket or pants that the principals are wearing but something that would indicate that you would possibly fit into the office. Don't underdress and don't over dress for the position. If the norm is business casual then take it up one step to business informal. The principals maybe dressing business informal on the day to day but dress business formal. If you are going for a position that is principal level then dress to match in presentation level. If that is business formal then do so. It depends. You should get an idea of how the office looks especially when you applied and submitted your resume in person. (if the position is local to you)

Then relax when you get there. Get used to wearing standard office attire which is pretty standard whether the position is a law office, business finance / accounting / tax, or otherwise. 

Dress like you care about how you look and project care in appearance.

Oct 7, 14 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Zip up tie? First time i hear of them. But who pees out of their chest or neck?

Oct 7, 14 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

Right, tammuz: naked toes have no place in an office.  Unless your business is surf lessons and your office is therefore the beach.

Oct 8, 14 9:49 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

....run, hide, the Toes comin` after you

Oct 8, 14 11:26 am  · 
 · 

LOLOLOL I literally yelped when this popped up on my screen! Coworkers think I'm crazy anyway, so that's fine.

Oct 8, 14 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I vaguely remember an office on the beach that had surf boards in their studio photos... some 'hip' LA office I think...

Oct 8, 14 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

White buildings.... Architect in black...

We're attention whores.  The contrast of a dark brooding figure against the stark whiteness seems to fit. :P

Oct 9, 14 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
RCIXM24

I wear all black because in addition to being an Architect I am a Goth Kid

Win-Win scenario if you ask me.

Feb 24, 16 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

First post revives 1.5 year old thread. 

Feb 24, 16 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
RCIXM24

(takes a drag of a cigarette)

I don't conform to conformist time based obsolescence metrics of forums

(takes a another drag)

Feb 24, 16 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

another troll.

swell.

Feb 24, 16 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Maybe White architects wear black and Black architects wear white.  Contrast 

Feb 24, 16 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

Yep.

Feb 24, 16 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

Architects...... facination with duality and contrast.... part of the architectural pattern language.

Feb 24, 16 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

whats with the cigarettes? lung cancer, yay!

Feb 24, 16 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Feb 24, 16 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

I don't conform to conformist time based obsolescence metrics of forums.

Love this, especially punctuated by cigs.

Feb 25, 16 12:41 am  · 
 · 
RCIXM24

In all seriousness, I believe it has to do more with this:

http://www.becomingminimalist.com/wear-one/

It makes sense when you think about it, Architects are busy people and to waste time choosing what to wear is terrible thing.

Feb 25, 16 9:08 am  · 
 · 

im not sure if wearing black is connected with the white architecture.  all i know is karim rashid wears hot pink and he makes hot pink spaces and richard meier wears white and he had to clad getty centre in natural stone instead of white.  while foster sticks to monochrome scheme though influenced by the colorful archigram illustrations and tezuka architects wear basic blue and red and creates materiality in architecture in multiple variations.

i hope what i wear is disconnected to what i make otherwise it limits my response.

Feb 25, 16 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ your work should always be a reflection of what you wear....

Feb 26, 16 12:58 am  · 
 · 

RCIXM24, that article is OK but I would offer that I think most architects are *starting out* with a pretty minimal wardrobe already after having gone through architecture school and learning to justify aesthetic choices.  If I compare the closets of the non-architects I know to the architects I know the non-archs are a riot of color, decoration, style, silhouette...architects have pared down our choices naturally.

Personally, I love choosing an outfit every morning as it's like a little design project every day. But my closet is already a harmonious collection, so it's a fairly easy process.

Feb 26, 16 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: