Archinect
anchor

700,000 Tons of Concrete

jdbz
What would you build with 700,000 tons of concrete?

Sep 30, 14 11:28 pm
Non Sequitur

Is is solid or ready to be cast?

700K tons = 635 million Kg

635 Million Kg = 264 000m^3

264 000m^3 = 62m x 62m x62m shape.

I'd build one helluva cool shelf for my coffee mug.

Sep 30, 14 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
jdbz
Ready to be cast... but we can stick with 2,400 Kg/m^3 for the density. So your numbers above will work.
Sep 30, 14 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
jdbz
...nice shelf by the way.
Oct 1, 14 12:05 am  · 
 · 
SuperKing

When life offers you tons of concrete, make some lemonade.

Oct 1, 14 4:35 am  · 
 · 
SuperKing

Btw, is this a thesis project or a PhD?

Oct 1, 14 6:05 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Massive Candela engineered dome

Oct 1, 14 7:43 am  · 
 · 

I'd take a new monument on the DC Mall: build a large square of formwork, 8' high. Gather every Congressperson and other politician into a big circle in the middle of the formwork and fill it.  Then break it in half, hollow out the forms (our legislature likely won't survive this process), and leave it as a monument to the empty shells of human form that our politicians are.

Hell, to save material the formwork could be just 7' tall, or even a little shorter.  It's not like these people are giants among men or anything. But it's very important that they be in a circle facing one another, because they sure as heck don't pay attention to anyone else.

Oct 1, 14 8:24 am  · 
 · 

An alternate to Donna's idea that is a bit more direct is to wait until a State of the Union when the president is addressing a joint session of congress and the Supreme Court, then fill the Hall of the House of Representatives solid with concrete, making the building itself an impenetrable monument. 

The leftover material material could be similarly used to entomb the K Street, the Bilderberg conference, Federal Reserve meeting, NATO summit, Trans Pacific Partnership conference, The Pentagon, Wall Street .... crap, 700,000 tons won't be enough.

To conserve material we should just make concrete galoshes for the deserving. Probably still need more mix, though.

Oct 1, 14 9:02 am  · 
 · 
subgenius

700,000 tons? (that is about 20,000 truck loads)...would this be a single pour situation or can I work in a variety of lifts?

Do I need to provide the form work and/or reinforcing steel?

(FYI, this quantity is about what is used for the Portuges Dam in Puerto Rico)

Oct 1, 14 9:35 am  · 
 · 

Oooh, Miles your idea is way better.  Entombs the buildings, as well, so the new leaders who emerge in the aftermath could function in a tent city, like Occupy. Which is a FAR preferable form of government than the one we have now!

Of course the concrete galoshes idea could have the side benefit of promoting the regrowth of ocean reefs? Except the poisonous flesh of the politicians might be more harmful to the fish - we'd have to do a net gain/loss analysis.

Oct 1, 14 9:52 am  · 
 · 
jdbz
SuperKing,
This is not for a thesis project or PhD.

subgenius,
The concrete would be distributed over a 10 year period. You would be provided with a typical formwork and reinforcing steel budget.
Oct 1, 14 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Fun question, idk how much would be needed for the foundation of an average home. Re-foundation homes in places such as tornado alley or other places where earthquakes etc are common. Or reinforce these homes. A little spendier but it's better than rebuilding your home every ten years or so.
Oct 1, 14 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

hey D & number 2:  vote out yer congresspersons and senatorpersons regardless of party affiliation k thks bye

Oct 1, 14 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I had a  2 guys pour 16 yards of concrete for a footing foundation just the other day.

I told him it was the easiest 16 yard pour I had ever encountered.

Oct 1, 14 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
jdbz
CD.Arch,

Using this concrete calculator I came up with about 10,000 1600sqft 8" thick foundations (1778 80lb bags per):

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/howmuch/calculator.htm
Oct 1, 14 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Build a floating island

Oct 2, 14 6:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

After giving this some thought, I'd like to revise my coffee mug shelf. Instead, I would turn find a way to cast a 80m dia sphere (total volume = 263,000m3) and let it roll around...somehow.

Oct 2, 14 8:35 am  · 
 · 
subgenius

oddly enough this is the amount of concrete VietNam will export this year....export.

Also the goal of a new plant in Lampung

http://www.cemweek.com/news/volume-a-pricing/10779-vietnam-to-export-700000-tons-of-cement-this-year

But the Romans built the Coliseum with 700,000 tons of concrete (mostly on the foundation)...i suppose the steel allowance will just be a credit back.

Oct 2, 14 8:53 am  · 
 · 

9,323,072 ft³ of concrete.

I propose using it to pave a 12" deep, 18' wide strip as a median the entire length of the Capital Beltway that surrounds Washington D.C. Those selected for concrete galoshes would be placed into this strip at 18" on center and supported vertically by a 7' length of 1/2" rebar.

This will allow us to plant 1,553,845 deserving candidates. That would cover the three branches of government, all the lobbyists in DC, the half-million or so other elected officials across the country, former elected and appointed government officials, corporate CEOs, etc. with material left for about a million more which could be selected by popular vote. Runoff voting may be necessary to reduce the size of the pool as space is limited.

After a fairly short period of time Washington would be encircled with a 64 mile long unbroken ring of vertical skeletons 18' wide.

When can we start?

Oct 2, 14 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Vlad the impaler, is that you?

Oct 2, 14 11:43 am  · 
 · 

I had only considered the using rebar for postmortem structural support. But to each his own.

Oct 2, 14 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
jdbz
Olaf,
I like the floating island idea. When you say "floating," do you mean floating on water, or having the appearance of floating?
Oct 5, 14 1:11 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

both...tomorrow night when I watch some Monday Night Football and have a few left over brews from the party I'll sketch in 3dsMax....both

Oct 5, 14 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

jdbz I apologize for the delay...watching Friday Night Football, not Monday

Stanford 17 vs Wash St 7

5th Rolling Rock (Latrobe Brewery)

this is based on Non Sequiter's 264 000m^3 = 62m x 62m x62m shape.

Oct 10, 14 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

where does "my coffee mug" go ?

Oct 14, 14 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

very top corner? no?

Oct 14, 14 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sweet sweet jesus in a can Olaf, that is just awesome.

Oct 15, 14 7:48 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

RFI #001:

'sweet sweet Jesus in a can' - Architect/Engineer to provide additional specifications and details to clarify.

Oct 16, 14 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Oct 16, 14 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
jdbz
Yes awesome! Much more so than what I imagined (my phone/app is not letting me paste an image):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TNwEV29xohw/ThYEoKgNWVI/AAAAAAAACro/UF1hHzMuk3M/s1600/floating+structure-3.JPG

Sorry I'm just getting back. I've been busy and on vacation. Thanks for posting Olaf!
Oct 20, 14 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i will post it for you.

Nice!

Oct 20, 14 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Olaf, I don't think that guard-rail is up to code...

Oct 21, 14 8:24 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

can it be glass, there was a thread on the glass.

but what is a sweet sweet can of jesus?  should this be incorporated into the rail design?

Oct 21, 14 8:46 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The rails are to hold the public away from the glorious tuna can which may, or may not, contain said jesus. I will need to read my specs before I give a more definitive answer.

Oct 21, 14 9:13 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

haha threadkilla, brilliant, i'll work it in....footballs on and i'm half working, this takes dedication.

Oct 23, 14 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

There ain't a problem that can't be fixed by spraying a little Jesus on it.  

Oct 24, 14 1:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: