Illinois Institute of Technology (Tom Denney)

TWO-STAGE-DRAIN CONCEPT HELP NEEDED

Tom Denney Mar 26 '06 12

O.K., I WAS TOLD TO RESEARCH TWO-STAGE DRAINS FOR MY ROOF-TOP GARDEN. GO AHEAD...GOOGLE TWO-STAGE-DRAIN. SEE WHAT YOU CAN FIND. GO LOOK IN PLUMBING BOOKS. CHECK-OUT YOUR MECH/ELEC BLDG SYTMS TEXT. WHAT I DO KNOW IS IT'S NOT A TYPE OF ACTUALY DRAIN PRODUCED BY A FIXTURE MANUFACTURER, UNLESS THEY KEEP IT SECRET. IT SEEMS TO BE A CONSRUCTION DETAIL, AND AN OLDER ONE AT THAT. I OWN 1ST, 3RD, 4TH, 5TH, AND CURRENT EDITIONS OF ARCHITECTURAL GRAPHIC STANDARDS...NOTHING.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS OR KNOWLEDGE OF THIS SYSTEM?

• Ms Beary
      Mar 26, 06 2:27 pm

I know how to detail a separation pit. Is that what you mean? Sounds like it.
      Yes it is a construction detail. I might be able to find it and e-mail it to you.

Why do you need that for a school project?

Steven WardSteven Ward
      Mar 26, 06 2:30 pm

green roof sources?

and wiki

Ms Beary
      Mar 26, 06 2:35 pm

Mine wasn't for a roof garden, it was a detail used to separate solids from liquids that get washed down a drain. I used it on a bath house near a beach where sand would get down the drain and needed to be separated out. So might not be what you are looking for.

Tom Denney
      Mar 26, 06 2:37 pm

IT'S FOR A ROOF-TOP GARDEN DRAINAGE SYSTEM. MY STUDIO PROF. SAID I NEEDED TO RESEARCH THEM THIS WEEKEND AFTER I HANDED IN MY DETAIL FOR THE ROOF-TOP CONSTRUCTION.

Ms Beary
      Mar 26, 06 3:23 pm

To separate solids out of the drain system? The key word that makes me things this is TWO-STAGE that you used above. It is the same concept, used for garages with heavy oil runoff as well. I will send you my detail. You will have to modify it, but the concept is the same. Hope it works, I will have to dig under the bed to find it.

Ms Beary
      Mar 26, 06 3:35 pm
      TED
      Mar 27, 06 3:51 pm

i think-ette they mean two-level drain which most drains are so you wont get it by google.

two level means that it takes water at the surface where the drain cover is and the second level is where the roofing membrane ties into it; often when you have a hard surface/paver on top. the second level is where the actual waterproofing takes place.

if you go to american hydrotech website and look at verious systems, you will get it - either as hard surface, gravel or soft.

TED
      Mar 27, 06 4:57 pm

btw, arent you asking the wrong group of folks....

isnt god in the details at IIT?

Tom Denney
      Mar 27, 06 5:53 pm

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS, AND THE DETAILS ARE GOD.

TED- YOU ARE CORRECT, AS WAS I. THE DETAIL I DID LAST WEEK JUST DIDNT SHOW ENOUGH OF THE TERMINATION CONDITION, SO MY PROFFESOR WAS TESTING MY KNOWLEDGE OF THE COMPLETE SYSTEM TO SEE HOW MUCH I HAD REALLY RESEARCHED IT. BUT I LIKE A WILD GOOSE CHASE ON A LONG WEEKEND.

Ms Beary
      Mar 27, 06 7:50 pm

Anyways, the detail I have above, my old boss insists it will be on the ARE, so good to know anyways.

adso
      Mar 27, 06 8:27 pm

I think your caps lock is on.

Tom Denney
      Mar 27, 06 9:06 pm

REALLY...YOU....YOU THINK MY......CAPS......LOCK.......IS ON? I JUST DONT SEE IT. CAPS LOCK....CAPS LOCK....NOPE. oh there it is...i just have a habit now of leaving them on all the time, easier to read in my opinion. and, i also think associating caps lock on with screaming is dumb.

ANYWAYS, YES STRAWBERRY, I ALWAY LIKE TO HAVE INFORMATION THAT WILL BE ON THE 'ARE'. I ALSO DIDNT MEAN FOR MY RESPONSE TO TED TO SOUND LIKE I WAS OFFERING THIS THREAD AS A QUIZ TO EVERYONE, AND THAT SOME HOW YOU WERE WRONG. I DO APLOGIZE IF IT CAME OFF LIKE THAT. I WAS ONLY CONGRATULATING MYSELF.

• Tom Denney