Los Angeles, CA
The design of this contemporary custom residence and guest house derives inspirations from both classic Southwest/Santa Fe and Mediterranean styles. The owners, who previously resided in a classic glassy Philip Johnson home in New Canaan, CT, requested the design address simple, elegant & comfortable indoor/outdoor living with abundant daylight and dynamic views.
• The 1.2 A. site in the gentle foothills of Montecito offers panoramic views of Santa Barbara Harbor, the Channel Islands & onto the Pacific.
• Surrounding landscape of Native California Oaks, along with olive, acacia and eucalyptus trees affords the residence tremendous privacy.
• A serpentine driveway and garden wall lead from the street entry gate to the front motor court.
• The graceful two story Main House sets gently into the site with extensive terraces and lawn areas for easy indoor/outdoor living.
•Natural maple , Jerusalem Stone flooring, Brazilian granites accent the warm color material palette with smooth plaster walls & Arizona flagstone terraces.
• A suspension footbridge links the infinity pool/spa terrace at the Main House through the oaks to the Guest House, where the sleeping loft enjoys filtered ocean views through the trees.
Location: Montecito, CA, US
My Role: Architect
Additional Credits: Lancscape Design: Bradley James Bontems
Contractor: Leonard Unander Associates