Los Angeles, CA
Referencing classic "Modernist" inspired horizontal planes juxtaposed with vertical masses and large shaded glass areas, the new 12,000 SF house sets into a 1.5 A. hilltop above the Pacific Ocean surrounded by mature oak and pine trees framing dramatic canyon, coastal and ocean views.
• Tall ledger stone garden walls provide privacy and canyon wind screen for the dramatic 2-story glass entry and auto court.
• Reflecting pool & stone wall frame the entry on the left with a tall smooth plaster mass on the right next to a trellised paseo accessing a 6-car garage.
• Cantilevered sculptural glass & steel staircase with a glass plank bridge accent the entry hall.
• Open plan living, dining and den feature high wood ceilings with expansive sliding glass walls optimizing ocean and garden views.
• Limestone pavers extend throughout to smoothly integrate the interior and exterior living spaces.
• Stepped terraces lead down to the 40' infinity pool/spa with paths onto the downhill garden.
• 1st floor guest rooms are designed with framed canyon views and access to a walled terrace.
• Trellis shaded outdoor dining, barbecue & fireplace are next to the kitchen and the pool/spa areas.
• 2nd floor master suite has 2 offices, a gym with access to the roof terrace & Japanese soaking tub to enjoy panoramic views.
• A warm, natural material palette uses ledger stone, limestone pavers, granite & marble counters, custom millwork and custom wood windows & doors.
Location: Malibu, CA, US
My Role: Architect