Archinect
anchor

Architecture or Interior Architecture/Design?

the1andonlyash

Hi! I just graduated with my AA Degree from Lonestar College. I can't decide if I want to pursue a career in Interior Architecture/Design at Sam Houston, or Architecture at the Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture at University of Houston. Now, I know that there's some confusion regarding Interior Architecture/Design and I just want to clarify that I do know specifically what it entails. My struggle is my decision with which path I want to take. I've always loved designing homes, doing floor plans, spacing, etc. and enjoy how the role of an Interior Architect comes into play with the "vibe" of the interior structure. As far as architecture goes, I know that they deal with mainly the bigger picture and have a broader scale of responsibilities on top of some of the aspects of interior architects??

Should I just go the extra mile and get an Architecture degree?

Should I start with a Bachelor's in ID then pursue Architecture?

I hear people saying currently it's so hard to get a job in architecture and it’s the job with the most laid off people at the moment.

I know that no one here can tell me what to do it's all up to me but I do hope that your responses will help me become more educated on the majors and help me decide. Thanks!

May 15, 14 12:10 pm
Non Sequitur

Architecture > interior design

interior architecture however is just a marketing term.

May 15, 14 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
x intern

You don't need either to do houses.  Just clients. Get a marketing degree.  

May 15, 14 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

http://www.arch.uh.edu/index.php/Programs/Undergraduate/bachelor-of-science-in-interior-architecture

They have a nice interior architecture program and i believe they let you into the M.arch with advanced placement best of both worlds, interior architecture plus an NAAB Masters. 

Or even better would be to complete the Bachelor of Architecture at Huston and minor in Interior Architecture. 

May 15, 14 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: