Archinect
anchor

Alternate paths to Architecure degrees

jyount10
I work with the ACE mentor program, a program that provides mentorship and career guidance to high school students in the Architecture, Construction, and Engineering fields; and provides scholarships to some of our most dedicated students.

The majority of our students don't graduate with pre-loaded college funds set aside by their parents, so the scholarships are an important part of what we do; but the scholarships only go so far, and I frankly have a hard time advocating for anyone becoming an architect if it means taking on substantial student loan debt. A further challenge is that your options are limited in terms of state schools that offer architectural degrees, in Indiana it's Ball State or bust.

So I'm wondering if anyone on here might have experience with alternate routes into the field, such as starting with a 2-year associates' degree, which is well within reach for an ACE scholarship; or perhaps a particular 4-year program (maybe you get a full-ride someplace other than Ball State) that positioned you well for a 3+ architecture program. Any ideas/thoughts would be welcomed.

May 15, 14 2:01 am
n1ntyn9n

Starting a a technical college offers a lot of advatages!  Thats my route and if the student is successful they will be invited into Phi Theta Kappa, the international honor society for 2 year colleges.  This opens the doors for some HUGE scholarship opportunities for students looking to continue, plus service and leadership opportunities to put them one step ahead of the typical high school student.

May 23, 14 11:01 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I say the best Alternative Route, is to the Fame Route.  You know like Brad Pitt....hope you know I'm just kidding.  However seems like Hollywood  people with lots of money  get to be architects.

May 24, 14 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
This is a graphic I created for your question sometime back. Please look for it on twitter it is going to be up on my website. https://mobile.twitter.com/StudioUnchained/status/466736798249402368
May 25, 14 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: