Archinect
anchor

remote access to files

poop876

Does anybody know of a service that I can use to store all my cad files on a cloud server and remotely access and edit them? It would be something like dropbox but im looking for other options. Does anybody work that way? I tried setting up office 365 but it just is not as simple as dropbox plus I would have to pay user licenses etc and they dont support xp any more.

Basically im trying to get away from local storage or server and put everything on a cloud server.

Any input is much appreciated.

May 14, 14 8:18 pm
curtkram

qnap nas.  you can have your own cloud!

May 14, 14 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

It depends on your end goal.  The services you mention are syncing  services, where the files are still stored locally, but then synced to the "cloud" for access.  I would think this works well, especially for CAD files, as editing remote files can be very tedious, with xrefs, auto-saves, and the like.  I would much rather use a syncing service to expedite work (like Skydrive, GoogleDrive, Dropbox).  The one disadvantage would be the possibility of two people working on the same file at the same time (each on their own local copy), and then having conflicts when syncing that leads to work being potentially lost.  Not sure how to help you there.

May 15, 14 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

jitter12 is correct. You still have the files saved locally; they just upload to the cloud. (Honestly you would never want to actually store files in the cloud as it would take forever to download them; upload is a big enough hassle.) I use dropbox to share working files between my project team. I'd say it works okay. Upload times can be a real hassle especially if you are working from a shitty wifi connection. Jitter12 also makes a great point about two users working on a file simultaneously. This has happened a few times to us, and can basically kill a half to a full day's work for someone.

I looked into a qnap nas after curtkram posted a similar comment in another thread. It assumes an IT knowledge more sophisticated than your average user (as opposed to something like dropbox which is basically idiot-proof). It also assumes a conventional office infrastructure that not all networked practices have. Not to say that it shouldn't be done or that it isn't a great tool, it's just not necessarily the right solution for every practice.

May 15, 14 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

What you are looking for is https://www.autocad360.com or http://www.autodesk.com/360-cloud

Autocad 360 allows you to upload files, view and edit them online or on your ipad as well as download them. I use this all the time to get files from my pc to my ipad so I can showcase people, the project on the go.

There's also autodesk 360 for the Ipad which let's you view the 3d model of the file, if it's not too complex.

May 16, 14 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: