Archinect
anchor

new years in new york

beatmeofficer

11 days in new york this winter. staying with friends who live/teach in brooklyn. will be travelling strictly by transit. WHAT SHOULD WE DO/SEE? realize its a big question so here are some interests:

art. preferably contemporary, but all the standard galleries are on the list.
architecture, as above. what are some must-sees that are not in the textbooks?
food. inexpensive and authentic.
industry. i have an industrial wasteland fetish. what are the old interesting warehouse/docks/manufacturing areas?

is there a good website for upcominggallery shows, and/or a website for entertainment?

what would your ideal day in new york involve?

thanks all

Nov 6, 04 1:17 pm
zepplin100

Sounds like this is your first trip to the city. If I could offer you one piece of advice it would be to keep your schedule very light. Don't plan to do too many things in one day because you'll never get to them. NYC is just way too big. I usually plan to do one thing in the morning and one thing to do in the evening, that way I'm not in a rush and I can enjoy myself.

MoMA Manhattan is opening Nov. 20th. Naturally that would be my first choice and I shouldn't have to tell you why. Since you're already on Long Island you could stop by the Noguchi Museum. I think they just got finished with a renovation or something. I've never had a chance to venture out there but it might be worthwhile.

I'm sure other people can help you with your industrial wasteland sightseeing. I don't usually venture there when I'm on vacation.

Nov 6, 04 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Dia Beacon. About an hour and a half from Grand Central. F'in great, nice view of the Hudson too.

Nov 7, 04 3:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: