Archinect
anchor

Laptop Capable of Running Rhino? (The open GL issue)

larchsj

Hi everyone,

I had settled on a laptop I liked that combined specs I wanted (good ram, processor speed) with portability.

I'm not a power-user--I'm out of school, and want to be able to use my computer for drafting and design with Rhino occasionally when I have my own project--but I'm not a crazy renderer and I probably wont even buy a special rendering software. I am a landscape architect, so sometimes my models are a bit complex because they include topography.

I had found a model I liked- 2.0 processor, 8 GB ram but then found that there was this whole issue with Intel graphics cards being not so great for Rhino because they dont support OpenGL. Looking again at the options out there, it looks like it's actually pretty hard to find a new laptop that's being made that doesn't ship with that Intel 4000 or 4400 card.

So what should I be looking at?

Thanks!

PS-  I checked the forum and didn't see this topic covered so let me know if I've missed something.

May 5, 14 11:32 am
archanonymous

You should check the newest Rhino specifications on www.Rhino3d.com - that list is really old - I don't even recognize some of those cards' model numbers.

I can't comment on integrated graphics from Intel, but looking at the version of OpenCL they use, they should run Rhino OK. GPU is only used by Rhino for generating the preview and drawing the viewports. Rhino Render and Flamingo Render are both CPU render engines, and Rhino does all of its calculations using the CPU as well. GPU just draws - I haven't done extensive research, but Intel Iris 5000 or 5200 graphics seem like they will have enough "oomph" although don't expect to view really large or complex models.

May 5, 14 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Also, why would you get a convertible device for running Rhino? Do you really need a touchscreen?

Spending $1500 on an "original" (non-convertible) Lenovo ThinkPad would be the best bang for your buck in using this for architecture and design.

May 5, 14 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
larchsj

Hey thanks archanonymous, that's really helpful.

I was looking at the helix because I'm really looking for something light (I take my computer around with me all the time for just web and simple photoshop and illustrator work/) and I had found a special on a refurbished helix...

May 5, 14 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I had some time and another colleague was asking, so I dug up the GPU recommendations for Rhino 5

http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/rhino5videocards

It looks like at the time of writing, Intel still was not supported, but they had not yet released the "Iris" series of graphic chips.

From Intel RE: The Iris 5200: The Iris Pro supports DirectX 11.1, OpenCL 1.2 and OpenGL 4.0

From McNeel RE: Rhino: 

Rhino 4.0 requires OpenGL version 1.1

Rhino V5 requires OpenGL version 2.0 and Shader version 1.2

Don't hold me responsible if you buy a laptop with Intel Iris graphics and they don't work out, but everything indicates that they will work. You should keep in mind that an Intel 5200 (the highest end GPU they integrate with processors) will be equal to a low-end discreet graphics solution.

Here is general hardware requirements for Rhino 5: http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/hardwarebaseline

I don't work for McNeel, I just use Rhino a whole lot.

May 6, 14 9:16 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

apparently you can hook up a normal video card to your laptop, if it has an express card (and some other stuff, and you're technically inclined, and you get a little bit lucky)

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616

May 6, 14 9:49 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

curtkram - Wow. I am pretty nerdy, but that external GPU just blows my level of geek-ness away. 

May 6, 14 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: