Archinect
anchor

Bachelor of Fine Arts for undergrad?

TuckerJ

Hey all, this is my first time posting on this forum so I hope I'm doing it correctly. I am currently at a school that doesn't really give you a defined major because it is interdisciplinary. We have an architectural pathway but regardless of the classes I take I get the same degree. We also don't have grades, we only have credit/no credit. Does anyone know any architectural grad schools that will accept this? My school has an accredited grad school for architecture, but I rather not go to the same school for both undergrad and grad. 

Thanks

May 5, 14 10:35 am
pale shelter

Here's an idea: if you want to do architecture; go get a Bachelor of Architecture in 5 years vs this 4+2 4+3 nonsense... why the 4 years of non-defined loosy goosy courses? I'm trying to figure this out  .... what is it that 4yr+ programs teach in the those 4 years that do not equate to a professional degree??... seems like that 4 years is just a transitional period until you take their +2 or +3 years ... great marketing from the college standpoint. It's like a lease-to-buy car program.

May 5, 14 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
I agree partially with 'pale shelter'. Why not go to a B.Arch program straight out? Well some M.Arch graduate programs have a better curriculum. And a 4 year undergraduate program will give you the skills you need for a career and find your focus for when you are ready to go to graduate school. You need an M.Arch Degree for licensure in most states.
So don't dabble with fine arts if you really want to practice architecture. It's good to study that but it will set you back in school. If you're trying to save money go for the B.Arch.
May 13, 14 11:17 am  · 
 · 
n1ntyn9n

SAIC is like this...unless thats the school you are it...which it really sounds like!

May 23, 14 11:46 am  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

OK.  Non-professional degrees get  alot of hate on this forum.  It is some what warranted; you are much better off getting a 5 year M. Arch degree.  It is probably the cheapest and fastest way to an accredited degree and you are eligible for an NCARB certification.  That said, just because you don't have an accredited degree, does not mean you can not practice architecture and get licensed.

There are 15 states where you can get a license to practice architecture.  Those 15 states are: Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Main, Maryland, New Hampshire, New York, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin. Typically, you have to jump through a few more hoops to get it, but it certainly is not as hard as people on this forum make it out to be.  For instance, I am pursuing my license in my home state of Tennessee.  In Tennessee, there is a residency requirement; that means you need to have an address in the state.  Also, you have to get permission to take the ARE from the Tennessee State Board of Architecture and Engineering Examiners.  That is easy enough to do; all you need is an IDP record with a handful of hours completed, fill out some paperwork,  and havce 5 professional reference (3 of which must be licensed architects).  

Each state has different requirements, however they are not impossible to overcome.  If you are going to stay at your current school, I would recommend you start here for research: http://www.ncarb.org/Getting-an-Initial-License/Registration-Board-Requirements.aspx

Figure out what state you want to get licensed in, make sure you can meet all the requirements, and pursue your dream.  There is no need to transfer to a five year program if you are already enrolled in school.  There is a good chance your credits won't transfer, and you would probably start back at square one.  As far as grad school goes, if that is the path you want, good luck.  Just don't let a lack of a professional degree keep you from pursuing employment.

Good Luck.

May 23, 14 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

There may be a lot of reasons this person is pursuing their current goals.  They didn't ask for advice on dumping their current school.  They asked about how to transition on graduation.  My advice is to talk to the career placement center on the school but even more so go to the architectural school and discuss this with both their admissions department AND with the tenured staff.  Tell them you want to go elsewhere.  They are bound to be connected to other programs and might even get you into a discussion with another school.  My advice is to use the resources that are staring you in the face.  Afterall, you are paying good money for the program you are in.

May 23, 14 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
pacificlanddesign

Sorry, folks....just testing out this posting of myself vs my company profile.  This is just a test!

May 23, 14 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: