Archinect
anchor

Internship salary - Beijing - International firm

edvanard

Hi all!

I just got an internship in one of international firm in Beijing for >6months and we wil have interview in the next couple days.

My nationality is Indonesia and I am taking my MA in UK at the moment,

also having 1.5 year working experience in Indonesia

I was just wondering about the amount of salary will I get in that office and how much is life expenses in Beijing in general?

May 5, 14 11:17 am
3tk

Dunno about salaries, I was once told $10k (US)/yr is 'generous' there.  Beijing living cost can vary greatly depending on what conditions you'd like to live in; many apts have shared bathrooms, etc that can be much less expensive than 'western style' accommodations.  The subway system is very good, so if you can live within reasonable distance to a station it's easy to navigate the city.

May 5, 14 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

I was offered an internship (3-4 month duration) with a large international firm in Beijing during my MArch (2011) and negotiated a salary of 12,000rmb/month. My Chinese friends said I should have asked for more. I also had previous experience working in Beijing prior to applying. 

There is a huge range when it comes to salaries for interns. I've seen people get 2000rmb and others 15,000rmb or more. Cost of living in Beijing is what you make of it, you can live a more western lifestyle or you can live like a local. Check the Beijinger for baseline apt prices by area, the numbers tend to be slightly inflated. I can't comment on current housing prices since it's been a couple years since I've been back. For example my first apartment was 4,500rmb for a studio in 2009-2010. I went back in 2012, the exact same apartment was 8,000rmb. Granted this is in a highly desirable area, but Beijing prices can be crazy. If you're willing to commute then you can save quite a bit. 

May 5, 14 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
edvanard

Well basically, Im still an asian people that live in Indonesia, so my family is all chinese but none of us can speak Chinese. I probably will easily adapt with local people lifestyle because I never lived in "western" country except UK for just 1 year.

Is there any salary difference between part1 students  and master graduate students?

Lastly, i really worried about pollution in Beijing. I heard that we will barely see the sun during day, its just gonna be grey sky everytime, is that true?

Thank you so much and im sorry about my english..!

May 6, 14 11:06 am  · 
 · 
stan89

Hi Edvan,

I am just wondering how did you get this internship? Where did you find it and how did you apply? What about interview?

Thanks!

May 16, 14 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
edvanard

hi stan89,

Where? Just take a look on their website and check if they have an internship vacancy or not. You can also find in some websites about job vacancy.

How? send your cv+portfolio+resume via email, and you will get a reply from them asking for a interview if they think you have the capabilities in that position.

Interview? Basically the interview will focused on your portfolio and your interest about architecture (your own understanding about architecture). My interview last for around 30 minutes.

Are you planning to apply an intership in beijing too?

Where are you from? Eu or non Eu citizen?

May 17, 14 3:33 am  · 
 · 
stan89

Thanks for the answers! One more question, how did you do the interview? Via Skype?

Actually, I have graduated two years ago and I live in Canada. It has been really hard for me to get a job in a firm, not a lot opportunities and everyone expects 5-7 years of experience. That's why I am considering China as an option.

May 17, 14 9:03 am  · 
 · 
edvanard

yes, I did the interview via skype.

you are lucky that you are EU citizen, so you dont need a visa to work in EU..

In my case, almost every office in EU wont give a visa sponsorship for non EU citizen..

If i were you, I will try to get at least internship position first in EU, and then you can work full time in that office.

Good luck for China!

May 17, 14 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Canada =/= EU

May 17, 14 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
edvanard

Ah! sorry for that, Im not familiar with EU countries.. (im from Indonesia)

May 18, 14 3:03 am  · 
 · 
stan89

Canada is in North America, boarderline with USA, not Europe. 

May 18, 14 3:11 am  · 
 · 
luke theodorius

hi edvanard, I'm currently looking for a job in Shanghai or Beijing. May I know where did you apply for your internship job? How is it going so far? (I'm now traveling Shanghai area, but language barrier seems to be major problem). One question, do I have to apply for full time position, or should I apply for internship and then let them consider me to join their team?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 1, 14 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: