Archinect
anchor

Work of Art: The Next Great Artist

b3tadine[sutures]

This show could be interesting, well at least the first episode is interesting, I like seeing/hearing people discuss their passions and process.

WoA

Anyone watch?

Jun 11, 10 8:46 am
vado retro

i could see the architect chick getting booted off first and she was...her painting looked like something from a booth at a craft show.

Jun 11, 10 11:18 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

vado, that's what i was thinking too, it reminded me of things i've seen in coffee shops. it wasn't even interesting in terms of pattern.

Jun 11, 10 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

This show looks interesting, but it makes me a little nervous, tense... artists are way too sensitive and they seem to be bursting in tears any second.
They selected some of them by the looks, some of the guys look like Brad Pitt. I do not have a TV right now, during moving, my old one fell face first and broke, but I’ll try to catch up on line.

Jun 12, 10 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i went out and had a coupla beers with a curator and a person who gets paid to paint and to teach painting and we talked about this a bit. painter was like...ah it takes a long time to make art sometimes and decided that it all sounded too much like school, which it does, actually. make a portrait etc. of the person next to you. i think the woman who painted herself with a star on her crotch will win.

Jun 13, 10 10:28 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah, a bit like school meets real world, and i expect that we'll see landscapes, still lifes, and etc...i think this is a good opportunity to get money and some notoriety, doing things you like to do. my money is on the you man from TC, he's doing more than the others, in terms of upping the "game"...

Jun 13, 10 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

perhaps a project that would occupy a public space? or a something dealing with social conditions etc....probably will come down the road.

Jun 14, 10 8:50 am  · 
 · 

The phrase "distractingly boring" doesn't make any sense.

Jun 17, 10 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
SoulBrother#1

nor did his speaking make sense.

Jun 17, 10 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Is there any way to watch this in Canada? Anyone figured one out?

Jun 17, 10 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i thought the comment was pretty on, it was a bit solipsistic, and on very real level it's "inside-ness" made it too clever by half.

Jun 17, 10 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Ben I watched episode one on Hulu. I believe they may be showing the entire show there. also, check bravo.

Jun 17, 10 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Yeah, Hulu and Bravo are only available in the US... cant find anything yet in Canada, and Id really like to watch this show.

Jun 18, 10 12:04 am  · 
 · 

I agree that Trong's piece was boring, but distractingly boring? It's nonsense. If something is boring it seems it can't, by definition, distract you from something more interesting.

Jun 18, 10 9:21 am  · 
 · 

Also, IMO Erik's piece was much dumber, and Ryan's and Judith's too. total freshman level work, almost all of it.

Jun 18, 10 9:22 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i agree donna, there's a lot of dumb in the work, and trong's was the not the worst.

i guess when i think about distractingly boring, i think of two things; sound and fury signifying nothing, and a petulant individual doing boorish things, just to draw attention to themselves...

i do like the miles piece and the young woman with the excavation/burial piece...

Jun 18, 10 10:42 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Abdi's the next great artist !!

Aug 14, 10 11:20 am  · 
 · 
joe

glad he won. I liked him from the start.

Aug 14, 10 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Season 2 has started, is anyone still watching the show? Discuss!

Personally, I'm starting to take a issue with the people running the show, particularly the judges. Jeanne Greenberg often discusses topics that are irrelevant to the work and rarely gives truly helpful feedback in any capacity, while China Chow hasn't actually done anything of value since the show's inaugural episode. At viewings and judgings she acts completely juvenile, becoming almost childlike and obssessed with superficial aspects of every piece (bright lights and glitter!), while her actual comments in the critiques don't contribute to any discussion or dialogue in any way whatsoever. Also, the outfits are hilariously rediculous and over-the-top. The two of them together often make overly-authoritative ultimatums and grandiose statements on the nature of pieces, which span WAY too far. Bill Powers sometimes gives great comments, but often it sounds like he is being fed lines to be said; its hard to tell whether he actually means/cares about what he is saying. The saving grave is Jerry Saltz, who consistently is able to grasp what the artists are doing, can often give truly valuable advice and feedback, and can ALWAYS tell when the individual is clearly talking out their ass. Thanks God he is there to give some actual credibility to the show. I was also very glad this week to see Simon give all of the artists shit for doing a terrible job halfway through the challenge. The guest critics span the full gamut from completely useless to extremely clever.

I have to say that I think this season's contestants are quite a bit weaker than the last. It feels like only a couple of them actually have the ability to grasp solid concepts and then execute them properly. Michelle and Leon are far and away the front runners so far, and Dusty and Young have also been strong up to this point. I am completely amazed that Lola is still there though; both times she threw something together last minute, with no idea what it meant or where it was going - there wasn't any real meaning to either of the pieces. The Sucklord has also been producing incredibly redundant work and I'm surprised he wasn't given the boot on the first challenge. Seems ironic that the two of them are so friendly together.

Any other watchers out there? Or am I just speakin' to myself?

Oct 22, 11 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

I hate the show and I hate myself for watching it every damn week.  The ONLY other television I watch regularly is Jon Stewart and Project Runway, but I can't seem to tear myself away from the mental and visual disaster that is Work of Art.  How's that?

Oct 22, 11 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

i wouldn't feel TOO bad, donna. maybe it's just your 'jersey shore'...

Oct 23, 11 9:11 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I just can't Imagine Donna with a Jersey Accent.....

Oct 23, 11 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
ether

ahh if only i had cable... or the time to watch it online... i see a CAA alumn made the contestant cast. ;)

Oct 24, 11 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I figured out how to watch Project and Work of Art; I DVR the shows, watch the "competition brief" and then go to the end - skip the soap opera - to see the "reveals" then the shit-caning. Saves me between 50 - 75 minutes.

Oct 24, 11 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: