Archinect
anchor

Continuing Education - CEUs and all that Jazz

As the one-year anniversary of my becoming a RLA rolls around, I dived into the world of figuring out how to report my continuing education efforts to the state board. Not that I need to for another year (there is a 2-year grace period for the newly licensed), but I wanted to get a start on my record keeping.

There are a surprisingly broad range of activities that are considered worthy of credit by MN - such that I probably have 1000 hours or more from this past year (but only need 24 next year and then can carry over 12 hours to the following year).

MN Statute 326.107 Subd. 2. Programs and activities. Continuing education must consist of learning experiences which enhance and expand the skills, knowledge, and abilities of practicing professionals to remain current and render competent professional services to the public. Practitioners may pursue technical, nontechnical, regulatory, ethical, and business practice needs for a well-rounded education provided the education directly benefits the health, safety, or welfare of the public. Continuing education activities which satisfy the professional development requirement include, but are not limited to, the following:
(1) completing or auditing college-sponsored courses;
(2) completing self-study college or non-college-sponsored courses, presented by correspondence, Internet, television, video, or audio, ending with examination or other verification processes;
(3) participation in seminars, tutorials, televised or videotaped courses, or short courses;
(4) attending self-sponsored and prepared in-house educational programs;
(5) completing a study tour with a structured program resulting in a written or visual presentation by the licensee or certificate holder;
(6) presenting or instructing qualifying courses or seminars. Professional development hours may be earned for preparation time for the initial presentation;
(7) authoring published papers, articles, or books. Professional development hours earned
may equal preparation time spent, may be claimed only following publication, and shall be given for authorship or presentation, but not for both;
(8) participating in professional examination grading or writing. A maximum of five professional development hours per biennium may be applied from this source;
(9) providing professional service to the public which draws upon the licensee's or certificate holder's professional expertise on boards, commissions, and committees such as planning commissions, building code advisory boards, urban renewal boards, or non-work-related volunteer service. A maximum of ten professional development hours per biennium may be applied from this source; and
(10) patents, after they are granted, for a credit of ten professional development hours.

here is the AIA summary of all the states continuing ed requirements. Being a full AIA member requires the most amount of hours with the most stringent requirements of how you can accumulate them...

What has your experience in reporting 'learning units' been?

Ever had hours rejected?

What's your favorite method of fulfilling those continuing ed requirements?

Jun 10, 10 4:48 pm
marmkid

I am not licensed yet, so mine dont count yet. But in the next year or so once my remaining exams are complete, i will be in the same boat

I prefer the lunch seminar with free food route though

I havent heard of hours ever really being rejected, though i depend on the method. Most in my office seem to use the basic lunch presentation for their hours, or walking down to the local AIA for a seminar

Jun 10, 10 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Kirk Wooller

Barry,

You're one step ahead of most in thinking about how to satisfy your CE requirements, because you're going to the source of these requirements and not blindly following the AIA.

Each state is slightly different. Here in IL you refer to The Architects Act Section 1150.105 Continuing Education Requirements.

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/068/068011500001050R.html

And what you'll find is a list, like the one you found and listed for MN.

You can also call them up. I did - as I was starting up an education series of seminars and wanted each one to qualify for CE credit - and what I was told was that no one organization (e.g., AIA) "pre-qualifies". Points are given if what is presented satisfies the rules of the Architects Act for that State.

My advice is to read the rules of the Act, then, based on what you like doing, make sure you get credit where credit is due. The AIA is only but one (very expensive, since the attendees and presenter pays for the privilege) option.

Happy CE'ing!

Sep 29, 11 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Gaaahh!  My license renewal is due tomorrow, and I haven't done my CEU's yet.

Gaaahh!

Sep 29, 11 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Don't have to report it in my state.  Do it?  Yes.  But until they ask for backup, audit, we don't report them.  Check to make sure your state wants the report.  AIA on the other hand, well, I am not a member so who cares.

edit:  just noticed this thread is one more resurrected from the grave.

Sep 30, 11 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Resurrected perhaps, but the grave was shallow and the body still reasonably fresh!

Sep 30, 11 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

I can certify that I'm not a zombie! but I do need to figure out what California's requirements are eventually (if I ever bother getting my CA license)...

Sep 30, 11 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: