Archinect
anchor

M. Arch in India

Black_Spectacles

Hi All, 

I am a graduate from MICA (a fine arts school) with a BFA degree in Environmental Design. Recently I have been working at an Arch & Engineering firm in NYC for the past two years and am now gearing up to get a technical degree in Architecture. While there are many good schools to get a post grad degree in the US, I’ve been considering going to India to be closer to distant relatives and for a new experience. Also considering that I am still paying off loans from my undergrad, India seems to have reasonable tuition rates for graduate loans. I’m not very familiar with the education process over there but some schools looked appealing such at CEPT or the School of Planning and Architecture in New Delhi. But I want to know what the quality of education is like and how hard it is to be licensed in US after an international M. Arch—anybody with some sound words?  

Apr 29, 14 12:31 pm
accesskb

You don't even need an education to build in India :)

Apr 29, 14 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Black_Spectacles

Very true, but I do want to pursue a technical degree...

Apr 30, 14 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Bina_b

Hey! There are a couple of great schools in India that offer really good standard of education. SPA is really well known , though I don't know much of their courses so couldn't comment on it. But it definitely is a great institution. Same goes for CEPT. I know a lot of people who have done their masters from CEPT and are great architects and doing really good work. Another really nice institution is KRVIA in Mumbai. I'd be happy to connect you with students at any of these institutions. SPA and CEPT both have an amazing campus life and all three over really good exposure including international study exchange programmes and have best of the Indian faculty and practicing urban designers/planners/architects/conservationists etc.

I'm not sure about the process of licensing in the US after an international degree.

though one thing to look out would be employment opportunities after your masters as the pay here in India is really low and you'd have to see how firms outside would look at this.

hope this helps!

Apr 30, 14 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: