Archinect
anchor

Using alum flashing for siding?

cg_8

I am building a treehouse for my son. The tree house doesn't have to be completely waterproof, just enough from the roof so we don't get soaked if it's raining. I am framing the entire thing with treated lumber, and using treated sheathing. ( I am not using the flashing for the roof...)

That being said, I want to clad part of it with some sort of metallic material. My initial thought was corrugated metal. Which is fine, but I am not excited about it. Then I thought, maybe I can find a creative way to use aluminum flashing. 

I have a detail in mind, but basically use the roll width and clad the wall similar to lap siding (20 in exposed lap siding... haha). 

Anyway, anyone have any concerns regarding this? Any better ideas for a metal cladding? Also, budget is a concern, I know there are tons of alternatives, but I want something I can easily just grab at Lowe's or whatever. I also don't want to have to order something and get some smartass remark about only needing 150-200 sq ft of surface coverage. 

Thanks in advance.

Apr 27, 14 1:40 pm
gruen
Lousy idea 1=sharp edged flashing near small people

Lousy idea 2=treated wood near people, especially little ones

Better idea: use untreated wood at least where they will touch it. Primed cedar siding isn't too expensive. Remember, the kids will grow out of it before it rots.
Apr 27, 14 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

BAD IDEA:  Pressure treated lumber eats Aluminum!   You should also use epoxy coated deck screws in lieu of  common framing nails. 

Apr 27, 14 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
cg_8
I had a detail with folds over screws that had no sharp edges exposed. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but it was quite the creative detail in my mind.

Additionally, all treated portions on the interior will be lined with cedar boards. Which is congruent to your suggestion.

Thanks for the info about material properties! Exactly the kind of info that I was looking regarding this. I think corrugated metal is probably the way to go. Even though it isn't piquing my interest enough.

Anyone else have any other exterior metal cladding suggestions that I could easily find?

I should have noted that this is for exterior cladding. You may have thought I was suggesting this for the interior of the tree house. The interior will be lined with cedar boards.
Apr 27, 14 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist
Do what you want with safety in mind of course. I like the idea of the flashing with sharp edges concealed. It's creative.
Apr 27, 14 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Since I'm the throw the monkey wrench in the works person here, I think the flashing will oil can like crazy. Maybe you want that?
Apr 27, 14 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
cg_8

That was a possibility I thought of, but I am not too concerned about that too much. It's not that I want it, but it never seemed to bother me too much with the titanium clad buildings like the Denver Art Museum or Gehry's work (although, Gehry's work does bother me in general a bit...). 

Thanks for the input.

The more I think about it, the more I am thinking that preparing the flashing would be more of a hassle than just attaching corrugated metal.

I was just trying to be experimental and this seems like a pretty good opportunity to experiment.

Apr 27, 14 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

Aluminum cans cut open, flattened, and nailed on like shingles. Label side up, of course. 

Apr 27, 14 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
cg_8

Why cut them open?

Apr 27, 14 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
It's been done a lot before, but get your hands on a bunch of old license plates or traffic signs and shingle them. They even have pre-drilled mounting holes!
Apr 27, 14 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Corrugated will go up faster.
Apr 28, 14 7:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: