Archinect
anchor

First time learning - CAD or Revit or other ?

mikemoore

Hello out there, advise needed please..

I certainly feel like an imposter here as I ask not as an architect by any means but as a site/project manager. Last year the team converted an old London pub into five modern flats.

What I seek to do is create an animation showing the build and its key aspects. Ideally I would like a simplified but stylish 3D model with fly throughs and cross sections of certain sections. 

I have no experience working with animation software and dont want to break the bank. Would people suggest using some sort of CAD or I saw posts on Revit??   

Apr 25, 14 3:54 pm
jdparnell1218

If you are looking for a simple massing/design tool, that can do walk-throughs and fly-throughs, that requires little training, and won't break the bank then you might want to start with Google Sketch Up.  Google provides basic tutorials that can get you started.  Not to mention, the basic version of the software is free.  Check this link for more info:

http://www.sketchup.com/

I love Revit.  It is my software of choice; but you would probably end up paying an arm and a leg for the licensing.  It also has a steep learning curve.  I'v been using it since 2008, and it is a wonderful drafting/3D modeling software.  But, it took a while to get the hang of.  I feel I am some what of a master at it now, but I started using it 6 years ago.

I hope I helped.

Apr 25, 14 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Rhino. Nuff Said.

Apr 25, 14 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
mikemoore

Hey thanks jdparnell, that makes a lot of sense. As much as I would like to learn something like Revit I know I wont have the time!.. I'll check out Sketch up.

Blessings,   Mike

Apr 27, 14 7:55 am  · 
 · 

@mikemoore while both are great in different aspects of design I think that Sketchup will render your animations much more quickly. Make sure to research the time it will take and the quality of the final output in making your decision. But for a quick, relatively easy software, Sketchup is the way to go. 

Let us know what you decide!

-Romel
romelragasa.com

Apr 28, 14 9:30 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

mikemoore, 

As s developer, why don't you just quit being a cheapskate and just pay an architecture or visualization firm to render your project.  The time involved for you to learn and try to render what you are talking about is going to be difficult, and most likely, your renderings are going to suck.  You get what you pay for, so just hire a professional to do it and save yourself the headache. 

Apr 28, 14 11:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: