Archinect
anchor

Carbon Nation

saw this documentary last night, made by a louisville film-maker but available for screenings across the country. good positive, interviews-based film suitable for school groups or company/corporate groups.

premier was in d.c. a couple of weeks ago, louisville premier last night, open in theaters in louisville today. the director spoke after the screening, though, and made it clear that he's more interested in eyeballs than money - the film is distributed by a non-profit: all proceeds roll back into distribution and building additional material on the website. so, if you've got a group (aia, class, gun club), it could make a good program.

Carbon Nation is a documentary film about climate change SOLUTIONS. Even if you doubt the severity of the impact of climate change or just don't buy it at all, this is still a compelling and relevant film that illustrates how SOLUTIONS to climate change also address other social, economic and national security issues. We meet a host of entertaining and endearing characters along the way.• Carbon Nation is an optimistic (and witty) discovery of what people are already doing, what we as a nation could be doing and what the world needs to do to stave off climate change by moving to a low carbon economy.• Public opinion is sliding the wrong way - far fewer people are concerned about climate change than even a year ago. We’ve made Carbon Nation to give a majority of people an entertaining, informed and pragmatic primer about why it’s incredibly smart to be a part of the new, low-carbon economy: it’s good business, it emboldens national & energy security and it improves health & the environment.• Carbon Nation’s optimism and pragmatism is appealing across the political spectrum. While other good films have been about problems, blame and guilt, Carbon Nation is a film that celebrates solutions, inspiration and action.Carbon Nation is a documentary film about climate change SOLUTIONS. Even if you doubt the severity of the impact of climate change or just don't buy it at all, this is still a compelling and relevant film that illustrates how SOLUTIONS to climate change also address other social, economic and national security issues. We meet a host of entertaining and endearing characters along the way.

• Carbon Nation is an optimistic (and witty) discovery of what people are already doing, what we as a nation could be doing and what the world needs to do to stave off climate change by moving to a low carbon economy.

• Public opinion is sliding the wrong way - far fewer people are concerned about climate change than even a year ago. We’ve made Carbon Nation to give a majority of people an entertaining, informed and pragmatic primer about why it’s incredibly smart to be a part of the new, low-carbon economy: it’s good business, it emboldens national & energy security and it improves health & the environment.

• Carbon Nation’s optimism and pragmatism is appealing across the political spectrum. While other good films have been about problems, blame and guilt, Carbon Nation is a film that celebrates solutions, inspiration and action.

May 7, 10 7:08 am
...illustrates how SOLUTIONS to climate change also address other social, economic and national security issues.

This is what I like best. Global warming or no, moving to a less-carbon dependent life is good for everyone (except oil companies).

We're seeing it at GSA this year!

May 7, 10 7:19 am  · 
 · 

oh, great. i was going to send this to gsa folks to suggest it. they're way ahead of me.

May 7, 10 10:33 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Sounds good to me. Hope it will play here soon. In San Francisco, you could expect it to be a big deal !

I worry about apathy, and about ignorance of the issues, and about ideological blinders. Yes, there are fewer Americans who "believe in" climate change today than did a couple of years ago.

For supplemental reading, I recommend Stewart Brand's new "Whole Earth Discipline," delivering a world-wide overview of the issues, and solutions, some already in place and others awaiting recognition. A fascinating and encouraging read. We have met the enemy, and it is us. So too is the way out. . .?

May 8, 10 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

i've read brand's book and, in fact, was talking about it in a different thread. he's got a pretty great take on things and, to be honest, is a lot more radical than carbon nation in his proposals.

carbon nation is a good fit, however, for those who don't know yet how they feel about things. and then it DOES go into solutions - and introduces people who have followed those solutions and gives a glimpse into how it has changed their lives.

sequestration of carbon is a topic covered more fully in the movie than i've seen in other places. so that it's not JUST about reduction but also about mitigation.

for those not convinced of human impact on climate change, the movie also gives an out: suggesting (and showing - there's a lot of power in watching it in a movie vs reading) ways of building an innovative economy around non-carbon resources in order to make money on clean and potentially less-expensive energy and materials. what's not to like?

May 9, 10 7:30 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Exactly. Al Gore was an early instigator of the idea that there's good money to be made in new energy sources. The problem is still one of convincing a sufficient number of people that there is a problem to be solved -- no matter how the problem was created.

May 9, 10 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: