Archinect
anchor

TU Delft M.Sc. Arch Equivalency / Accreditation in North America

estockand

Hi, I don't know if this has been a question already answered in this forum, but I have scoured over discussions and haven't found any definitive answers.

I have been offered admission for the M.Sc. Arch professional degree program at TU Delft in the Netherlands and I am very keen about their program and living/learning in Europe. I was also accepted to some Canadian schools but I would much rather go to Delft. I have some minor concerns about accreditation, and if anybody could shed some light on this, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Is a M.Sc. Arch. considered equivalent to a North American M.Arch. first-professional degree? And does anybody know if there will be any significant hurdles in getting licensed in North America with an EU degree if I do decide to do so?

The M.Sc. Arch. is a 2-year program that requires a B.Sc. Arch. or equivalent. I hold a pre-professional Bachelors of Environmental Design from the University of British Columbia.

Thank you in advance for your replies. Any information would be greatly appreciated -- I haven't been able to find any information on the CACB or NAAB websites.

Cheers.

Apr 11, 10 4:49 am
sarah123

If your plan is to work in the US after graduating, I would call NCARB and speak to someone about this directly. There is so much misinformation out there I would not rely on second hand knowledge.

Apr 11, 10 11:06 am  · 
 · 

like sarah says, you should check before leaving.

as far as i know however the deal is that while most european countries, excepting the UK, will accept your degree from the USA the same is not true the other way around. If you get a degree outside north america you are stuck.

if you find out more would be great if you post things here. this comes up fairly regularly.

Apr 11, 10 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

id check but i doubt you can just go to school in the EU and transfer it here...its really difficult, otherwise everyone would do it.

i for one am taking the route of barch in the usa and msc in europe...therefore i can be licensed in both.

it depends where you want to work after school, if its in europe go study in europe, if its in n america, you should study here.

Apr 11, 10 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray
http://www.cacb-ccca.ca/documents/Application_Form_for_Graduates_of_Foreign_Schools_of_Architecture.pdf

Start here.

There is a process in place to have your foreign degree certified. How difficult/restrictive it is however, I can't really say. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted you to take some additional courses in Canada afterwards.

I'd contact the CACB, the RAIC, and your provincial association for more details.

Good luck!

Apr 12, 10 5:12 am  · 
 · 

asecondtrick,

Did you end up going to TU Delft?

Mar 28, 13 9:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: