Archinect
anchor

Cleaning a keyboard

Mum

Anybody know how to clean a year's worth of someone else's fingerprint oil from the keys on a keyboard? I have a new person coming in this week and this workstation is kind of disgusting. I've tried Windex and plain old soap and water. Still "shiny".

Gross topic but I need some help!
Thanks!

Nov 1, 04 6:44 pm
RqTecT

Buy a new one cordless for 30 bucks.
they will be impressed

Nov 1, 04 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
Brim

turn off the computer - use clorox wipes....the green lemon scented ones....yummy.

Nov 1, 04 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

Mum,
I think that the cost of a new keyboard is less harmful (chemicals) and cheaper in the long run.

Nov 1, 04 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Again..........don't be a cheap %&*$#$@! drop the old one in a recycling bin and buy your self a new one from www.cdw.com .....good luck mate stay clean

Nov 1, 04 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

buy a new one

Nov 1, 04 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

30 bucks???? you can get a regular corded keyboard for 10$ at frys, and yes, with volume control and all that crap!!!

Nov 1, 04 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
dia

What about a laptop?

Nov 1, 04 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
A

Don't waste your money on a new one. Wrap the cord around the keyboard and throw it in a diswasher. Just add a drop of dish detergent and make sure the heat dry is off. Run a standard cycle and allow at least a couple days for it to dry out.

I've personally done this several times and it always get everything out of it - better than if you were to remove alll the keys and go in there with q-tips. Never once had a problem and they always work.

Nov 1, 04 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
JAG

I second the dishwasher trick...

Nov 1, 04 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

You actually throw the entire keyboard in the dishwasher?? I'm tempted to try that just to say I did it. It sounds like old story about cooking salmon in the dishwasher. You wrap it in foil, set it on the top rack, run it on high and supposedly it's perfect.

Nov 2, 04 7:37 am  · 
 · 
A

Yeah, give it a shot. Hey, worst case senario is you have to spend $10 on a new keyboard.

Nov 2, 04 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

I take my keyboard outside prop it up against the house with CMU blocks on both sides for proper support. I then proceed to get the 15hp power washer with a soap vein built in. I fill the soap dispenser up with Dawn lemon and connect the water hose from the house to the washer. I let er' rip for about 5 minutes, shake it to get access water out then dry with an air compressor.

Nov 2, 04 11:04 am  · 
 · 
rayray

think that dishwasher trick would work with a laptop? sounds too easy.

Nov 2, 04 11:36 am  · 
 · 
A

Hmm, I wouldn't risk it on a laptop. Laptop keys are much tighter and tend to get less food and other crap between the keys. On mine I usually just spray a healthy coat of Endust for Electronics on there and just wipe her clean. It's a good anti-static cleaner and dries out quickly.

Nov 2, 04 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

dishwasher trick has worked for me many times too.

Nov 2, 04 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

I tried the dishwasher trick this weekend, put it in on Friday night and plugged it in today, Monday morning, and doesn't work.. Should I give it some more drying time? anyone else have this trick fail?

Nov 8, 04 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

Does it look clean?

Nov 8, 04 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Tectonic

dishwasher safe keyboards!!!!! people (architects) make your money.........here's a great idea.....The Archinect keyboard (it's dishwasher safe it's stylish and it's only $9.99)

Nov 8, 04 11:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: