Archinect
anchor

AA MA program

asopydoo

Hello all. I am an American student with a 4 yr B.S. Arch. I was just accepted into AA's MA program for housing and urbanism. Going to the AA has been a dream, however I didn't realize I could only be considered for the MA, not an MArch. From what I understand, I will not be able to get a license in either the U.K. or the U.S. with this degree. Is anyone else in the same situation? Is it worth going to AA for just an MA degree and seeing if I can get a MArch from a school in the U.S. afterwords (hopefully on a quicker path) just so I can get licensed?

Thanks!

Apr 4, 14 10:30 am
edvanard

Hi wserg,

Im currently pursuing in MA degree in University of Sheffield and planning to work in uk or europe or us after I graduated. I also dont have any idea about how this MA degree compare with MArch in terms of job careers. (Im a non eu citizen)

Do you think that I can still compete with other MArch students when it comes to getting a job? I recently submitted my works to some offices around eu to get an internship position this summer but they havent replied it yet..

Thank you

Apr 25, 14 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

Hi wserg,

I have a similar degree and explored the AA as well, with a similar discovery. 

For the education portion;
You could try looking into schools that would allow you to transfer your B.S. credits and 'finish' your Barch, which would then qualify you for the AA's MArch.  Because schools are out to make money, I'm assuming they'd require you to do more than just one year of credits, but it still might be worth it since the AA's March is only 16 months. 

For the certification post grad concerns; 
If you're planning to stay over in the UK after graduating, no need to worry about this, but if you plan on coming back to the states, there is an organization called the EESA which reviews foreign degrees (for a fee of almost $2,000...) to see if they fulfill NCARB requirements.  As long as the equivalent of your degree meets RIBA parts 1, 2, and 3, it will also satisfy all NCARB requirements and you can practice in both places. 

For edvan;

From my very minimal knowledge of this:
You need a VISA to work overseas, but they often wont give it to you without a company "sponsoring" the visa.  Unfortunately firms aren't often likely to do that because (I've heard) most UK firms have a policy that requires them to first look for locals before considering foreign applicants.

May 9, 14 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Any 1 year MA or the AA H+U MArch are Post-professional degree and do not lead to licensure in the UK or US. It will not transfer.

24 Month MArch RIBA Part II are the way to go in the UK if you want to practice here after you finish your studies.  The summer between year 1-2 you can work full time without a visa. Most UK schools allow students to enter the programmes with out a Part I [but must have at least a 4 year BA/BS arch Degree].  The AA Dip Part 2 is an undergraduate degree.  The programme does not allow anyone on it without a Part I but you can enter the last year of the undergrad to get around it [so you do 3 years].

Working in the summer is a good way to prove yourself to future employers.  If you do not have experience don't assume this route.  To get a visa a company has to pay you at a certain level which is probably about 5 year experience.  Also you have to demonstrate a certain expertise to get the visa which can't happen in the case of entry level [perhaps if you have certain native language skills that might work]. 

These are the same rules as in the US for visa.

May 10, 14 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: